Quantcast

One Ghost

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
that is what they are. we can't sell anything for less that retail. we wouldn't be in business if we did.
sure you can. open up a account with BTI, QBP or Action and sell the components at less than 40% markup.
a savvy mountain biker who knows how to use the internets can find all those products (or better ones) for a lot cheaper.
the frame price is cheap though :thumb:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
OG: small OEM pricing from manufacturers should be an option for you.
Selling build kits at retail makes no sense for you or the customer.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
sure you can. open up a account with BTI, QBP or Action and sell the components at less than 40% markup.
a savvy mountain biker who knows how to use the internets can find all those products (or better ones) for a lot cheaper.
the frame price is cheap though :thumb:
It's not that easy. Yes, you can get OEM pricing on certain items.
However, the scenario you suggest is abuse of your BTI/QBP account and will get you booting promptly.
Besides, you need a proper brick and mortar store with a repair shop to get a QBP account.

One-Ghost

Chimp
Sep 10, 2006
Portland, Oregon
OG: small OEM pricing from manufacturers should be an option for you.
Selling build kits at retail makes no sense for you or the customer.
no, no, no..we buy at OEM because we are an OEM but yes, some things, well, most things like components we do have to get through distributors. we sell our complete bikes to our consumer at retail thus we can make money and stay in business. our profit margin on our complete bikes is just barley 17%, not enough for us to sustain ourselves so we all work 2 or 3 side jobs (I am actually a full time service manager at a reputable shop here in Portland) to pay the bills as we are not selling enough bikes to pay a paycheck to any of us yet.

We are also under strict contract from the manufacturers we buy from to resell their parts on our bikes at the MSRP they give us. If we sell for anything less (at least advertised) then we will loose the ability to purchase from them. we can sell direct to a customer but it must be at full MSRP.

Our contractual obligations from our suppliers enable us to have the ability to sell to bicycle retailers with an established brick and mortar storefront at wholesale and they can in turn resell at whatever mark up they want and this is OK with our suppliers because we have done our due diligence with our contractual obligations.

why would selling at retail to our customers not make sense? selling at anything not retail is what doesn't make sense. if we had to sell at wholesale to everyone we would basically be taking out a loan and paying our consumers to take our money. that is a poor business plan in my opinion.

I really do hope you are not suggesting that we sell our build kits and complete bikes to our customers for what it costs us to put them together. if that is the case I would be happy to sell you my business and then I would be stoked to just sit and buy my bikes from you.

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Sounds like you have it under control.
Happy Holidays.

no, no, no..we buy at OEM because we are an OEM but yes, some things, well, most things like components we do have to get through distributors. we sell our complete bikes to our consumer at retail thus we can make money and stay in business. our profit margin on our complete bikes is just barley 17%, not enough for us to sustain ourselves so we all work 2 or 3 side jobs (I am actually a full time service manager at a reputable shop here in Portland) to pay the bills as we are not selling enough bikes to pay a paycheck to any of us yet.

We are also under strict contract from the manufacturers we buy from to resell their parts on our bikes at the MSRP they give us. If we sell for anything less (at least advertised) then we will loose the ability to purchase from them. we can sell direct to a customer but it must be at full MSRP.

Our contractual obligations from our suppliers enable us to have the ability to sell to bicycle retailers with an established brick and mortar storefront at wholesale and they can in turn resell at whatever mark up they want and this is OK with our suppliers because we have done our due diligence with our contractual obligations.

why would selling at retail to our customers not make sense? selling at anything not retail is what doesn't make sense. if we had to sell at wholesale to everyone we would basically be taking out a loan and paying our consumers to take our money. that is a poor business plan in my opinion.

I really do hope you are not suggesting that we sell our build kits and complete bikes to our customers for what it costs us to put them together. if that is the case I would be happy to sell you my business and then I would be stoked to just sit and buy my bikes from you.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I think the tiny community that is RM forgets about all their masterful bro deals and hook-ups and employee discounts and wading through internet mail order sites for that extra $10 off parts is not how people with real dollars spend.

The retail customer is not like an RM member for the most part. They want to ride a bike and they pick up the phone and order it because they want it. While this community influences other buyers opinions and purchasing habits, we are not the majority.

Retail, even a $50 off retail on a $5000 DH bike, is perfectly acceptable the public.

One-Ghost

Chimp
Sep 10, 2006
Portland, Oregon
Ok. Please let us know.. How much more would you pay for a bike handmade here in Portland Oregon over us having our bikes handmade in Taiwan. We are looking at approximately $375 more in retail over our current prices.
Please let the discussion commence.

We are hosting this same discussion on our Facebook page if yo want to see what others said
www.facebook.com/oneghostindustries

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I love the idea of manufacturing bikes in the US. But playing devils advocate- what would someone who doesn't care about that gain from this? Perhaps more color options, or minor customizations? I think something concrete like that could help.

Good luck- I think it's great to see more companies building (or even considering building) frames in the US.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I would pay the extra $375 for a USA built bike. But I also expect to see great weld uniformity and frame alignment. Top notch hardware and nice finishing. Not that Taiwanese bikes don't have good build quality, but a noticeable difference would be a selling point for me.

One-Ghost

Chimp
Sep 10, 2006
Portland, Oregon
I love the idea of manufacturing bikes in the US. But playing devils advocate- what would someone who doesn't care about that gain from this? Perhaps more color options, or minor customizations? I think something concrete like that could help.

Good luck- I think it's great to see more companies building (or even considering building) frames in the US.
on the short side the end consumer would get faster lead times and better customer service on the warranty/repair side and yes, more color options in the short range. the face value of the bikes being made in house is that they are guaranteed to be made in a zero landfill facility that uses zero caustic chemicals and 100% reclaimable and recyclable chemicals where those clams can be made and backed up at some TW factories they can not be made 100% of the time.

--Thanks!

One-Ghost

Chimp
Sep 10, 2006
Portland, Oregon
I would pay the extra $375 for a USA built bike. But I also expect to see great weld uniformity and frame alignment. Top notch hardware and nice finishing. Not that Taiwanese bikes don't have good build quality, but a noticeable difference would be a selling point for me.
--Understood completely. We are strict weld connoisseurs ourselves here and though we can not quite replicate a FTW weld we can try and will strive for that and the welders we will use will be skilled, journeymen bicycle fabricators.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
In my opinion, it shouldn't matter what other people think (the people that "don't care"), this is a matter of doing things the right way or doing things the easy/cheaper way. Of course, your business model still has to work. Good luck OG!

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Could you do short notice customization? Like e.g. a medium frame with a large TT? That might be worth considering! :thumb:

Schneidie

Chimp
Apr 24, 2010
New England
Ok. Please let us know.. How much more would you pay for a bike handmade here in Portland Oregon over us having our bikes handmade in Taiwan. We are looking at approximately $375 more in retail over our current prices.
Please let the discussion commence.

We are hosting this same discussion on our Facebook page if yo want to see what others said
www.facebook.com/oneghostindustries
Only if it goes faster :rofl:
I don't see there being a huge difference between the Taiwan frames and US made ones. As long as they're similar in quality, I'll be putting my $375 towards beer and race fees.

One-Ghost

Chimp
Sep 10, 2006
Portland, Oregon
Could you do short notice customization? Like e.g. a medium frame with a large TT? That might be worth considering! :thumb:
...It could definitely be on the table. our production runs are very small, generally less than 100 across the full size run so it will be up to our production facility manager. as it is we can do custom paint but it requires a deposit in full that is non refundable and that order needs to go in at the same time as our production run with close to a 200 day lead time so it is tough now. We did order our Tanto frames raw and we paint/decal them in house so we can offer custom paint on that model.

custom geometry is something we have considered in the past but realized we couldn't support it using an overseas fabricator so we abandoned that. It is possible now but would need a 100% deposit up front that was non refundable and it may take longer and I know it will cost up to 75% more (our prototypes are this way) than what the production bikes cost.

One-Ghost

Chimp
Sep 10, 2006
Portland, Oregon
Only if it goes faster :rofl:
I don't see there being a huge difference between the Taiwan frames and US made ones. As long as they're similar in quality, I'll be putting my $375 towards beer and race fees.
...totally hear that! we feel the crunch HUGE with our race programs and we even ask all of our factory team to pay for their on races as well as buy their bikes. I hate having to do that but we need to start somewhere.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
I would spend the additional money on a U.S.of.EH frame as long as there was a noticeable difference in quality.

As much as people would like they say they support the better environmental impact of a on shore made bike and supporting the local economy. if its nearly $400 more money, with no noticeable difference to the end customer, they won't care

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
eh, you know what I'll say.

I don't throw that kind of money around often, but when I do, it's on American steel/whatever else. If I want cheap, I'll buy used, and at that point it doesn't really matter.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I would love to see it be produced in the USA, i cant speak for whether its worth 375 more, but if i were to get something for 375, you'd have me. EX: (its tree friendly, moar colorways, better welds, better re-sale?, ect)

I dont see why a customer would pay 375 for it to be USA only, but! I would spend 375 more for a better frame, and possibly a better color, I think you have to market it as 375 more in chunks EX(tiawan frame in red for 1000, but if you (customer) spend a mere 375 more, you can support your country and environment while also opening up the door to more colors and better turn-around-time.)

PS-Available for marketing jobs =)

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
also depending on who is doing your manufacturing for you over there could affect your decision or at least the opinion of the educated customer. there are many asian manufacturers that have good track records and build very high quality products, if you have one of these and no issues with how your business with them is going, not really a need to change.

you can't really win or loose with which way you go, there is a trade off, if you switch you will get people that will buy your product because it is on shore made, but loose people who can't justify the additional cost.

or you dont get the people looking for homegrown product and get the customers looking for a less expensive product.

One-Ghost

Chimp
Sep 10, 2006
Portland, Oregon
I would spend the additional money on a U.S.of.EH frame as long as there was a noticeable difference in quality.

As much as people would like they say they support the better environmental impact of a on shore made bike and supporting the local economy. if its nearly $400 more money, with no noticeable difference to the end customer, they won't care

I have been getting that response a lot also. thanks for the honesty and I love the Capt' America image!

One-Ghost

Chimp
Sep 10, 2006
Portland, Oregon
Looks pretty cool. The linkage looks similar to DW's stuff. Are you working with him on this?
Thanks and no. the design is totally different and our own. different axle path, different leverage ratio, different link placement...we know DW and have talked with him lots and don't want to step on his toes at all.

One-Ghost

Chimp
Sep 10, 2006
Portland, Oregon
I would love to see it be produced in the USA, i cant speak for whether its worth 375 more, but if i were to get something for 375, you'd have me. EX: (its tree friendly, moar colorways, better welds, better re-sale?, ect)

I dont see why a customer would pay 375 for it to be USA only, but! I would spend 375 more for a better frame, and possibly a better color, I think you have to market it as 375 more in chunks EX(tiawan frame in red for 1000, but if you (customer) spend a mere 375 more, you can support your country and environment while also opening up the door to more colors and better turn-around-time.)

PS-Available for marketing jobs =)

word to that. I have had a few mention the options for different colorways and it is def. easier to do them if we are down the street from the plant and not 1/2 a world away.

If we were hiring (I still work a full time job to keep the lights on) we'd ask for a resume

One-Ghost

Chimp
Sep 10, 2006
Portland, Oregon
also depending on who is doing your manufacturing for you over there could affect your decision or at least the opinion of the educated customer. there are many asian manufacturers that have good track records and build very high quality products, if you have one of these and no issues with how your business with them is going, not really a need to change.

you can't really win or loose with which way you go, there is a trade off, if you switch you will get people that will buy your product because it is on shore made, but loose people who can't justify the additional cost.

or you dont get the people looking for homegrown product and get the customers looking for a less expensive product.
We do use one of the best fab plants going in TW right now. they are very difficult to work with because of their attention to detail and the stack of other smaller boutique companies that use them as well. It isn't so much that we are willing to part ways with them but it has been our original mission to make our bikes in the US but the economy tanked as did our work with Sapa but now we have a chance with a new venture. w are just in the planning/information gathering stages still and seeing if it would be worth it.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Bikes look great and I enjoy you being on this forum to answer all of the questions, but please, please fix that website and take off the, "made with a mac" logo on the bottom. You can still make a good looking site with Iweb.

I am very excited to hear more on the DH rig, and am in the market for a DH rig this season!

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
If we were hiring (I still work a full time job to keep the lights on) we'd ask for a resume
only a joke :rofl: still in college

not in a position to buy a bike right now, but would certainly not count you guys out next run! Nice to see guys on the forums, keeps a nice environment and promotes good CS. I would rather buy a bike that i can get advice on rather than sit through the big corporate phone transfer leave a message bull-ish.

My vote is for USA made and rootbeer as a color option.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
$375 extra for a bike made in the USA, absolutely. That is a great price for a frameset.
Look at the insane price for a new Demo, $2500 and now there has been a 5% increase in prices for Specialized across the board. So if you are still waiting on delivery of a frame expect it to be 5% more.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
OG- with a potential increase in price, what would the total cost be to the customer? what do they get, ect.... pitch me your brand, sell me on your frames

One-Ghost

Chimp
Sep 10, 2006
Portland, Oregon
OG- with a potential increase in price, what would the total cost be to the customer? what do they get, ect.... pitch me your brand, sell me on your frames

a rough estimate would be a Musashi would cost at retail $2399.98 with a shock and probably a choice of multiple finishes. currently they are $1999.98 with shock and one color option per model year (that will change however to be more options). currently our frames are fabricated by a small, high end company in Taiwan who have other high end clients we are not at liberty to mention.

We should in actuality be selling our TW produced bikes for more but because we are a new company we have lowered our margin to get our feet in the door. we are eating or hats by doing this but we need to get our name in the market somehow so the first year we got really aggressive with our pricing.

By having our frames produced 30 blocks from our global HQ in Portland we can easily have a tighter production time and have the ability to do ultra small and custom runs as well as our production ones, we can have a tighter QC on everything down to being able to hand pick the aluminum where we can only use video conferences, email, text and skype for our communications with TW.

I know the quality and craftsmanship will be at the very least the same as our TW bikes are but I anticipate them to be slightly better because of the small variables that will be going into them. the things our customers never see but will notice on the trail or on the phone with us if something happens. we always have the backs of our riders but we would be in a better position to help should a tube or weld fail or tree jump in front of them.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
$2400 seems like a great price for an American made product.

I currently have three bikes that were made here so it is safe to say I would pay more. I like to support companies that support American manufacturing.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
same thought from me, an American made frame at that price is amazing. My personal vote goes for the American made option, either way i'm considering contacting you guys for my 2011 ride

One-Ghost

Chimp
Sep 10, 2006
Portland, Oregon
Bikes look great and I enjoy you being on this forum to answer all of the questions, but please, please fix that website and take off the, "made with a mac" logo on the bottom. You can still make a good looking site with Iweb.

I am very excited to hear more on the DH rig, and am in the market for a DH rig this season!
we are working on new web sites now for all 3 brands: One Ghost Industries, Candy Component Group and St0p Cycles. they should all be up mid March or sooner and they are no longer made on a mac but by a real web guy, not just me! I called in some old favors

One-Ghost

Chimp
Sep 10, 2006
Portland, Oregon
only a joke :rofl: still in college

not in a position to buy a bike right now, but would certainly not count you guys out next run! Nice to see guys on the forums, keeps a nice environment and promotes good CS. I would rather buy a bike that i can get advice on rather than sit through the big corporate phone transfer leave a message bull-ish.

My vote is for USA made and rootbeer as a color option.
thanks, I try, it gets really hectic keeping up with everything being mostly a one man show. I want to have the best CS in the industry or at least the best we can possibly provide. often if someone calls me they need to leave a message only because I am at my day job and can't get what they consider a "personal call" but I am good about getting back to someone in 24 hours as long as the other person leaves me a message. e-mail on the other hand, ugh, I have e-mails that are about a week old, my wife misses me because I am always on the damn computer!

what is your definition of Root beer? I have the color for the first production run of the longbow to be a gloss brown with pearl white and lime green accents then Trek went and made one of their EX bikes a similar colorway. different enough but still! maybe brown with Cyan and white. we'll see. give me an example of what you consider root beer, email me at info@oneghostcom