Quantcast

One legged mtb'er in the news

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
2,131
0
Denver, CO
A while back I posted a thread about meeting a one legged mtb'er here in Denver. It was at the top of one of the harder climbs around here (Mt Falcon) and I was amazed to see this guy spinning his way to the top.

Anyway, here's an article about him in the Denver Post. Sounds like this guy has been to hell and back and not only has he survived, its made him one heck of a role model.

http://www.denverpost.com/extremes/ci_3192728#

 

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
523
0
it would be funny if he rode a lefty fork....then hed have two legs just like the rest of us...
 

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
9,843
8
So Cal
Cool. Looks like he's not using a prosthetic either.

Pegboy is pretty danged fast. He's nice though, he'll ask if you're OK before he laughs at you when you crash right in front of him trying to go fast enough so he won't pass you. Bu then you're riding over your head then go over your bars.
 

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
4,564
0
SC, CA
I am always amazed at how fast my bro Kenny is with only one leg. Of course he was ripping since way back so he already had skills when the accident happened. I still can't figure out how he can turn right so well with no left leg to weight? So cool.

Also who is it from Iron Horse that rips on one leg again?

props to all the overcomers :thumb:
 

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
5,407
0
New England
I rode with a guy (i.e., chatted for a minute then watched him speed away) going up Tiger Mountain earlier this year, he only had one leg and no prethetic.
 

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
18,222
85
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Tenchiro said:
I rode with a guy (i.e., chatted for a minute then watched him speed away) going up Tiger Mountain earlier this year, he only had one leg and no prethetic.
was it this guy?
http://www.fluidride.com/team.htm
BRIAN BARTLET//
What can we say about Brian? He is an inspiration to us all. Brian always gives 110%. Brian has been racing for only a few months, and has proven to be a competitive expert class rider. Fluidride became involved with helping Brian on his quest to create a prosthetic leg which would allow AK amputees (above knee) to ride downhill bikes with the best of them. After many shared hours of work, our latest incarnation of Brian’s leg is the best to date. Fluidride is hopeful that the technology created will soon be available to other heroes around America and the world. In addition to ripping downhills, Brian is a pro level freeskier, and an amazing wakeboarder and inland surfer. If you see Brian at the races or on the trail, be sure to stop and chat, as he is always outgoing and eager to share his experiences with others.

Career Highlights:
// Pro Freeskier on one leg. Former member of Machette Mafia.
// 2005 - 5th Place Overall in Expert Class WIM Series (DH)
 

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
6,257
7
Reno 911
There's a one legged dude who jumps BMX here. Its pretty crazy to see him catch huge air and stick stuff with one leg and no prosthetic. Don't see many dirt jumpers on SPD's;)

And pegboy rips it up!
 

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
669
0
Santa Barbara
Zark said:
There's a one legged dude who jumps BMX here. Its pretty crazy to see him catch huge air and stick stuff with one leg and no prosthetic. Don't see many dirt jumpers on SPD's;)

And pegboy rips it up!
That guy rips. I used to see him out at e-wood all the time. He said he used to race pro bmx.
 

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
21,033
0
Denver
pixelninja said:
It was at the top of one of the harder climbs around here (Mt Falcon)...
he drove up the backside the friggin' cheater!







;)


There's also a one-armed dude who rides around here too... both shifters on the one side of the handlebar.
 

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
656
0
Golden, CO
I've seen the guy at an Open Space Parking lot (Prolly just got done). Read the report Sunday. Impressive.

They really pump him up to be a badass, but I'd hate to see what happens when he gets into a steep technical section that requires some hike a bike. Just curious, that's all.
 

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
21,033
0
Denver
Ascentrek said:
I've seen the guy at an Open Space Parking lot (Prolly just got done). Read the report Sunday. Impressive.

They really pump him up to be a badass, but I'd hate to see what happens when he gets into a steep technical section that requires some hike a bike. Just curious, that's all.
he pogos.
 

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
10,190
0
in a bear cave
Tenchiro said:
I rode with a guy (i.e., chatted for a minute then watched him speed away) going up Tiger Mountain earlier this year, he only had one leg and no prethetic.
i've been passed by that guy too years ago.:thumb:

And i've chatted with Brian Bartlett in a line for the shuttle truck, great guy.

i remember when i was recovering from my broken leg, i could ride way better than i could walk. Not that this is the same deal, but it's awesome that mt. biking is giving them the freedom of riding, and riding well above an average level in spite of handicap.
 

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
4,564
0
SC, CA
konabiker said:
That guy rips. I used to see him out at e-wood all the time. He said he used to race pro bmx.
werd. I've seen that dude too, he does rip.

btw: I tore the casing on that brand new Larsen on Romero today after I saw you guys. teh suckage.
 

rideagainst

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
184
0
CA
formermtboarder said:
one legged bmx er is sick, u got any pics?
I actually have vid of him hitting the gap pictured, but its from an old Hi8 camera and i dont have the software to upload it onto the computer. No helmet, no pads, and one leg. The guy is sick.

Sean, i was the kid on the gray vp-free today at Knapps. Sorry to hear about the tire, you called that one didn't you?
 

Attachments

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
4,564
0
SC, CA
I can't believe that dude hit the gap! Did he do it on a BMX? That is insane.

I'm not bummed about the tire but I am bummed about the fact that Joey already flatted twice so we had no spare tubes left and I ended up spending about 45 minutes putting like 10 patches on a blown out tube to get me down the trail. The good part is that I was so pissed that I rode the lower section of Romero about 10% faster than I ever have before, or at least if felt that way. Man the dirt was nice today. Gonna have to ride again tomorrow for sure....
 

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
669
0
Santa Barbara
punkassean said:
I can't believe that dude hit the gap! Did he do it on a BMX? That is insane.

I'm not bummed about the tire but I am bummed about the fact that Joey already flatted twice so we had no spare tubes left and I ended up spending about 45 minutes putting like 10 patches on a blown out tube to get me down the trail. The good part is that I was so pissed that I rode the lower section of Romero about 10% faster than I ever have before, or at least if felt that way. Man the dirt was nice today. Gonna have to ride again tomorrow for sure....
It was crazy. He just rolled up one day and decided to hit it. He cased really hard, like both wheels on the upslope of the ravine, and walked away pretty much unscathed. No helmet or anything...

That sucks about your Romero run. Guess you guys were late then?
 

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
362
0
Tenchiro said:
I rode with a guy (i.e., chatted for a minute then watched him speed away) going up Tiger Mountain earlier this year, he only had one leg and no prethetic.
The dude you came across might have been Brett Wolf. Used to work at the REI in Seattle (maybe still does). He raced in the 24 Hr Race in Spokane like 3 years in a row and gave some of the guys with 2 legs a run for their money.

Sure made me feel slow when he passed me going up a long hill!!

People with disabilities who grab life by the horns rock!!!
 

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
4,564
0
SC, CA
konabiker said:
It was crazy. He just rolled up one day and decided to hit it. He cased really hard, like both wheels on the upslope of the ravine, and walked away pretty much unscathed. No helmet or anything...

That sucks about your Romero run. Guess you guys were late then?
it sucked but I just told everyone to split and I sat there for awhile and figured it out by myself. Once I got the bike back together I rode the lower part so fast because I was super pissed about the tire. So in the end it worked out sweet. I passed people in the canyon that had passed me over ten minutes earlier while I was trying to get my bike back together.

Just got back from 3 night runs on Knapps for a grand total of 8 knapps runs in 48 hours.