Quantcast

One more post for the day...

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Mods - go ahead and reprimand me if this is not good ethics, since I already posted similar in PNW and West.Ca forums.

We just returned from our road trip (woohoo!) and I'm looking for some local areas to hit up after work during the week to spin a bit. Where are the local XC areas in and around Vancouver, BC?

We live out by the Ikea in Coquitlam, if that helps at all in pointing me to some decent areas...

Thanks in advance! And good to see y'all again.

Jen

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
SkaredShtles said:
A blast from the past!

Where's the road trip report?? :mad:
It wasn't bike related, so I didn't think to post much...We only rode to and from town in Mexico, and up to inspect where our water really came from while there. Otherwise, the bikes stayed locked up on the back of our van...Y'all really want the details? (Cuz like, we just got back and have been boring people non-stop with pics and stories...lol)

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Jr_Bullit said:
Y'all really want the details? (Cuz like, we just got back and have been boring people non-stop with pics and stories...lol)
WOOHOOO!!! Stories & Pics! Bring it on. It has to be more interesting than work!!!

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Morryjg said:
WOOHOOO!!! Stories & Pics! Bring it on. It has to be more interesting than work!!!
Okay - I gots nothing better to do right now anways...lol. Not working until next month.

Story goes like this: Back in May last year I was fortunately prevented from the fatal purchase of my first house by my sweetie, who called me at 2am so we could "talk." The result? I didn't buy the house, instead I saved like a fiend for the next few months. We also submitted all necessary paperwork for me to be allowed to live and work in Canada.

In July I put in my notice (I didn't like supervising anyways)
September 30th was my last day at work. October 01 we took off for an extended climbing roadtrip.

Now the fun begins! :)

Below is the first pic on the way to destination 1

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Okay, lets see if I can do pics and story-line. :)

Pic 1 - Driving to Destination 1 - City of Rocks in Idaho.

Pic 2 - Me seconding on a climb called 'Wheat thin'. This was my first summit I ever reached. A 5.7, so pretty easy, but I couldn't get good jams in up at the top (even my elbow was too skinny to wedge in the crack), so I had to do face moves to the top.

Pic 3 - What our bike seats looked like first thing in the morning at American Fork, Utah. At times we compared our simple home to living in a fridge from the amount of ice that collected inside and out. In the morning our bed would get wet from all the ice slowly melting. It took some creative steps to keep everything dry and warm for us.

Pic 4 - Me enjoying the sites at American Fork canyon in Utah. Absolutely beautiful!

Pic 5 - Maple Canyon Utah. An cruiser 5.7 - super easy, about 120' long. Very fun place to climb. As you can see, it's like climbing on a vertical riverbed.

More to come..

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Four more here -

Pic 1 - This is in the Red River Gorge, Kentucky. We got there at the prime time of year, and it's really where my personal climbing skills expanded. The route I'm top-roping is a 5.10c - at the time the hardest I'd ever tried. I did the entire thing clean (meaning, I never hung on the rope or any gear). This was a super fun slab, and is indicative of the types of climbs I'm very good at - slab to vertical climbs with small, crimpy holds. Small hands make climbs like this super easy for me.

Pic 2 - My first 5.10a lead. HUGE accomplishment. 110' of climbing on a run-out slab. I kept my cool and led the climb. The crux is towards the top of the climb. In this pic, I'm just coming into the crux. What I have to do (hard to see from the pic) is step sideways over a roof in the wall. The roof is about 1' deep, and I have to step out and over it to my right. For someone taller (5'9" or so), your arm span naturally reaches the bigger holds on the climb and it's MUCH easier. For me at 5'1", I had to be very creative in the holds I used to keep my balance and step over.

Pic 3 - Yes that's me being a good american girl. Before our trip I purchased a nice shotty. We were in bear territory a lot of the time, well away from any people, in an effort to keep our costs down and never pay for camping. So, I learned to use this on the trip. In the pic I'm only shooting at bottles and propane canisters. :)

Pic 4 - Mexico - El Portreo Chico. 3,000 feet of vertical limestone cliffs. Absolutely beautiful there. The pic is of me leading a challenging 5.10b crimpy slab. It required technical footwork, trusting the edge of your foot to tiny little edges in the rock. Very nice climb, just don't accidentally put your hand in a cactus!

Two more pics...:)

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Okay last two. We took over 300 pictures on the entire trip, so I'm only giving you a few to enjoy. :)

Pic 1 - This is a 5.10d slab in Red Rocks Nevada. By far the hardest climb I attempted on the trip, including a few 5.11's I worked on in Mexico. It's over 150' long, after a hard scrambling (3rd class) approach to the base of the climb. I fell at the very top after completing all of the cruxes, due to fatigue in my tootsies. Yes, smearing on the tiny edges of your big toe can be painful after an hour of working on technical hard stuff. ;)

Pic 2 - Just before we went home, we spent a week treating ourselves to a hotel in Vegas. This is me, 00 came up for me on the roullette table and you can see the dealer counting out my chips! :) I rapidly lost all my money after that. ;)

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo jealous. Especially El Portrero. I've always wanted to go there!! That pic of you on the 10a in the Red is cool. It took me a while to figure out where your rope was. I had to go back and re-read it to make sure you didn't say your first 10a SOLO.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Thats what happens when you start talking to Canadians. You go from an honest hardworking person to a slack ass unemployed hippie.

Sounds like fun.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Morryjg said:
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo jealous. Especially El Portrero. I've always wanted to go there!! That pic of you on the 10a in the Red is cool. It took me a while to figure out where your rope was. I had to go back and re-read it to make sure you didn't say your first 10a SOLO.

Ewww - I highly doubt soloing is for me.

However, I did recently on-site my first V2 boulder problem. :D A juggy jump fest it was!

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Westy said:
Thats what happens when you start talking to Canadians. You go from an honest hardworking person to a slack ass unemployed hippie.

Sounds like fun.
Yep, it was definitely fun. We're already planning the next adventure - but first we have to work and save. sigh....back to the corporate world...:dead:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Jr_Bullit said:
Mods - go ahead and reprimand me if this is not good ethics, since I already posted similar in PNW and West.Ca forums.

We just returned from our road trip (woohoo!) and I'm looking for some local areas to hit up after work during the week to spin a bit. Where are the local XC areas in and around Vancouver, BC?

We live out by the Ikea in Coquitlam, if that helps at all in pointing me to some decent areas...

Thanks in advance! And good to see y'all again.

Jen
Holly CRAP! :D

*cleaning pop off monitor and key board*

Jen, where have you been! I have like a dozen old email accounts for you but none that work....drop me an email at my std yahoo account. You know the one......;)

Good to hear your alive! :)

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
RhinofromWA said:
Holly CRAP! :D

*cleaning pop off monitor and key board*

Jen, where have you been! I have like a dozen old email accounts for you but none that work....drop me an email at my std yahoo account. You know the one......;)

Good to hear your alive! :)
Okay, will do. :)

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Thanks for the cool greetings back guys :). I didn't think any of you's would be remembering me after so long away. Workingon a few more pics...

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Pic 1 - One of our many campsites - this is at American Fork, UT, as we're enjoying our coffees.

Pic 2 - Maple Canyon, UT - beautiful fall colors. I'm just taking some layers off for the hike back up to our campsite.

Pic 3 - Basecamp at El Portrero Chico. We're parked about 1 mile away from the cliffs you see in the background.

Pic 4 - Me biking into the Portrero on a stormy day. We wanted to see where our water really came from, and that it wasn't flowing through a bunch of cow fields before we got to drink it.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
hi jen. i don't think i've been riding xc since green mountain!

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
hehe, i'm just lazy. and busy. i don't even own a bike rack for my wrx, and i bought that all the way back in august...

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
hey great pics, thanks... did you get east at all and do any of the climbs like New River in WV, Shawanagunks in NY?

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
brungeman said:
hey great pics, thanks... did you get east at all and do any of the climbs like New River in WV, Shawanagunks in NY?
Just spent about 6 weeks at the Red in KY. Miguel's is the best!

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
BigMike said:
J_B!!!

Oh how I've missed you so! :D
You have? Awwww...hahaha :p You haven't changed ;) How's the kid? (am I remembering right, you're the canuck who lives in the states who had a kid last year?)

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Five said:
Welcome back J_B, nice job on the climbs....makes me jealous! Congrats on pulling those 5.10's.

Thanks! :) Since I'm not working yet, Steve took the day off so we could go play in Squamish while it's sunny. Praying that Zoie is dry at Murrin...a 10a I tr'd last year.