Quantcast

one of the coolest things ever happened to me

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
there was a thing called benefest going on right up the road from my house outside this bar in the parking lot. tons of bands and vendors and a silent auction table for local artists to donate works to be auctioned off with all money made going to the Red Cross.

well i didnt have any money to donate so i printed one of my photos, threw it in a frame and donated it to the silent auction figuring it might make 10 bucks or something. It was the 4th highest grossing piece in the entire auction!!!!!! Not only that but i was on the news as was my photo and my name!!!!!!

the hard part was when people found out it was me that took it and they wanted to talk art/photography and telling me "i like your work, do you have more?" i didnt know really how to respond other than saying "uhhhhhh thanks". i dont consider myself an artist but whatever. I also had 2 people want to commission me for work. I guess it is time to find the money to get a better camera.

However it feels good to know that a picture with my name on it (the buyer had me sign it)is hanging in someones house and that the picture got the red cross more money than i ever could have donated on my own. As well i may be able to chase a dream that i have had for many years to become a photographer.

Jul 28, 2003
Eat, ME
Congratulations! It's a great feeling, isn't it? A good camera is nice to have, but if you have limited $$$then buy better lenses and a really good tripod w/ ballhead. Better lenses and a very stable tripod will do waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more for you than a better camera.

The Cheese

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
That is one of the coolest things I've ever heard!
Biiiiig congradulations! Take the ball and run with it as far as you can. There are so many people who wish they could make money doing something like that, and somehow, you've had the opportunity flung in front of you.

And now you have an excuse to wear black turtlenecks!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
here it is. i printed it 8x10 and put it into a black tri-matte frame it looked good.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
hooples3 said:
thats awesome bigs... good job... what made you pick that one?? just one that you liked a lot???
yeah pretty much. there were four people bidding against each other on it. it was fun to watch and all the money went to a good cause.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Morryjg said:
Admit it........you were just getting a good close up so you could tie a better hopper for fishing.... ;)
nawww. haha. i do have a lot of pictures of other bugs just for that purpose though.

E

enkidu

Wow, it really IS a nice pic, biggins! . . . So begins biggins' long-awaited true career.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
biggins said:
there was a thing called benefest going on right up the road from my house outside this bar in the parking lot. tons of bands and vendors and a silent auction table for local artists to donate works to be auctioned off with all money made going to the Red Cross.

well i didnt have any money to donate so i printed one of my photos, threw it in a frame and donated it to the silent auction figuring it might make 10 bucks or something. It was the 4th highest grossing piece in the entire auction!!!!!! Not only that but i was on the news as was my photo and my name!!!!!!

the hard part was when people found out it was me that took it and they wanted to talk art/photography and telling me "i like your work, do you have more?" i didnt know really how to respond other than saying "uhhhhhh thanks". i dont consider myself an artist but whatever. I also had 2 people want to commission me for work. I guess it is time to find the money to get a better camera.

However it feels good to know that a picture with my name on it (the buyer had me sign it)is hanging in someones house and that the picture got the red cross more money than i ever could have donated on my own. As well i may be able to chase a dream that i have had for many years to become a photographer.
hellshyeah! that kicks ass & cool photo too. Your good Karma is working for you. I dint know if I would run out & buy a camera, simply because the one you have seems to be working out for you. what kind is it?

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
That's an amazing photograph. Great job! And what a wonderful way to benefit the Red Cross.

On a sidenote, my gecko would freak out if that photo. was hanging near his tank. He loves to chase any insects that hop!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
bluebug32 said:
That's an amazing photograph. Great job! And what a wonderful way to benefit the Red Cross.

On a sidenote, my gecko would freak out if that photo. was hanging near his tank. He loves to chase any insects that hop!
i actually have a copy hanging over my geckos cage right now.