Quantcast

one of the many reasons i will never be a bike mech....

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I was just trying to get my FRDR tightened up & damn it all if I didnt fray my shifter cable....so now instead of just needing my FRDR tweaked, I need new cables.
F'it. I quit.
:help:

J

JRB

Don't quit now dude. It's a little frustration and $5. Trust me - you will learn what you need to by trial and error.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
No I dont think so....I have been making these attempts for over the last 5 years. I just dont have the bike wrench gene.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Dude don't give up. I use to feel like you when I was younger, now that I have tools, time, and some patience it will all work out.

You just need a new cable and follow something like Shimano's instructions on adjusting the front der. Their instructions are pretty clear and explanitory.

Just try again, it's the only way you will learn!

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Listen to the noob*. It really isn't that hard to fray a cable. Buy a new one and fix it.

*Change you're freaking name back. Your worse than that RIP dude.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Spunger said:
Dude don't give up. I use to feel like you when I was younger, now that I have tools, time, and some patience it will all work out.

You just need a new cable and follow something like Shimano's instructions on adjusting the front der. Their instructions are pretty clear and explanitory.

Just try again, it's the only way you will learn!

Ok...I am no longer younger, I have the tools, the time & no matter how patient I am, everytime I put a wrench on my bike it ends up in worse shape than before (except when working on my brakes, changing cranks, pedals, tubes tires...well all the simple stuff.).

I also have "Zen & the Art of Bike Maintenance" & have read it cover to cover four times.

It is just one of those realities I need realize.

J

JRB

OK - well we tried to support you. N8 posted he is becoming his own mechanic. You really don't want the fact that he can do it but you can't looming over your head, do you???

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
So you can change brakes, cranks, pedals......and if they're hydro brakes and you can bleed them and such you're already above basic.

I am not 100% mechanicly inclined but I'm not scared of tearing into something. Shifters are one of the "harder" in people's eyes but in reality they are something that every bicycle person who maintain's his own collection should learn how to tune. Nothing is more frustrating than a bike that doesn't shift right.

Wheels are my weak point. I can change suspension fluid, springs, rebuild hubs, remove any other part on a bike or install it but I'm clueless when it comes to building or truing a wheel. I can hack job true a wheel but I'll learn eventually.

You have to try, try again, and again. If it really gets the best of you then pay for it but ask if you can watch so you might learn where you're messing up. Most shops seem like they'd do that.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I fix things for a living, copiers to be specific. I also do all my own wrenching. I have built 4 bikes form frames, including wheels, 3 of which I still ride on a regular basis.

I know there are "mechanically inclined" people, and to them, working on things is easy. There are others that are not, and working on things is more difficult. Work a little slower, and be more diligent about what you are doing. Don't try to do things as fast as an LBS mechanic, he is more practiced than you are.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
JRB said:
OK - well we tried to support you. N8 posted he is becoming his own mechanic. You really don't want the fact that he can do it but you can't looming over your head, do you???
@ this point I will let N8 tune i up.

R

richcreek

get the book from park tools it is called the big blue book of bicycle repair. it tells you every thing you need to know and what tools to use for the job. it is a really great book with some of the best instructions.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
TN said:
@ this point I will let N8 tune i up.
Kick back, have some fine fine refreshments and let N8 handle it. Then when he's all done tell him it's wrong and make him do it again. :D

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
im 15 and worked in a bike shop..all i know are brakes and derailers headsets and bbs suck, everything else is simple besides that

oh and one thing, when my derailer doesn't work, i kick it really hard, i swear to God, and it usually works..that or i say F*CK it and ride it anyways