Quantcast

One roadie you can respect

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Britain's Bradley Wiggins was not sorry to leave the Tour de France. The Cofidis rider was forced from competing after Stage 16 when his teammate Cristian Moreni was arrested after testing non-negative to testosterone, but Wiggins wasn't too upset about leaving the race given the events of the past week.

"I don't want to continue in the Tour de France anyway, it's not supposed to be like this," Wiggins, himself an anti-doping campaigner, told The Guardian newspaper. "It is completely gutting to have to quit the Tour but everyone knows where I stand on doping. I have nothing to hide."

Wiggins hit out at the "pure stupidity" of his Italian teammate's actions. The respected rider also admitted that such events at times makes him question his future in the sport.

"It's pure stupidity on the part of Moreni," he said. "I don't know how he can have slipped through the net. It makes you think about your future as a professional cyclist. It makes me question the whole thing, but then you think why not continue because I get a lot of pleasure out of it."
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/jul07/jul27news2

L

luelling

I like Wiggins, I read that when they posted...good quotes. One thing that gets me about doping....if someone has a genetic "gift" of really large lungs or heart (Armstrong had both) then how is it a level playing field? Really its tilted by genetics. Maybe they should dope to certain level so all bodies are the same and then tactics win the race? Similar to car racing.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
I like Wiggins, I read that when they posted...good quotes. One thing that gets me about doping....if someone has a genetic "gift" of really large lungs or heart (Armstrong had both) then how is it a level playing field? Really its tilted by genetics. Maybe they should dope to certain level so all bodies are the same and then tactics win the race? Similar to car racing.
Car racing still depends a lot on the natural abilities of the driver. Michael Schumacher just had better reaction time and more stamina and guts than all the guys he raced. The bikes are the level playing field. If your natural hematocrit is 29 you should probably not bother trying to be a bike racer rather than doping it up to 50.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
we can only wonder at how the tactics of the tour would have unfolded if the ones who were tossed were never there to begin with.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
if doping was legal everyone could do it, then the competition would be level again?
Wrong. It is extremely expensive, only riders from a wealthy background or a big contract can afford it. Reportedly athletes caught in Puerto were paying 40k-80k Euro a year. That is like $60k to $120K per year. There is also a lot of doping that is straight up illegal in most countries, like the use of bovine hemoglobin Rassmusen is accused of trying. Do you allow them to take illegal drugs like cocaine to?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
That's life.

The bikes are similar and so are the teams. There are always competitors better than others, but work is required to move to the next level. Keep in mind that Lance Armstrong, while winning a stage, did not finish his first Tour De France.

L

luelling

That's life.

The bikes are similar and so are the teams. There are always competitors better than others, but work is required to move to the next level. Keep in mind that Lance Armstrong, while winning a stage, did not finish his first Tour De France.
Lance before cancer and after are two different people. The base genetics still there, but he was a lot lighter with a completely different riding style after cancer. When he had cancer it broke his body down to nothing and he changed his body to be a stage racer coming from being more of a one day racer.

That being said, I do agree with you guys. I hadn't thought about reaction speed of drivers, I was thinking about the "engine" that gets the person to the finish line. I still don't care if they dope. We went through this crap in '98 and everything was going to change and there was lots of big talk and nothing has changed. There is, again, lots of big talk and I bet nothing changes. Cyclists have been doing one drug or another since the 70s and none of the organizations have ever been able to stop it. There will always be people who don't dope and win, but you will always have dopers.

The sport is losing huge money right now and the hunt for dopers is doing more harm than good. To boot they maybe chasing innocent people. The tests aren't 100% and even if they are 99% your are going to have some false positives. They prefer to crucify people the minute they test positive.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Supposedly after rejoining the peloton after the protest riders laughed at Wiggins and the French riders for protesting and said if they took drugs maybe they wouldn't be so slow. There is still a pervasive doping culture in pro road riding.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Slipstream next year. Whether they get into any big races, get any results or any sponsors. That have at least been hyped as having a 0 tolerance doping culture. Millar and Vandevelde just signed with rumors of Dave Z joining.

There have also been rumors of Hincapie leaving Discovery. He is nearing the end of his career and has a lot of other things going on, a clothing business and cycling focused housing developments. Getting caught up in a doping scandal would ruin him. I can't help but to think he is looking to go to a team with no chance of getting caught up in a scandal. After the Basso debacle Discovery does not have the cleanest image not to mention Contador has been loosely implicated with the Puerto thing.

L

luelling

they aren't taking over disco, they are going to be another american team and the rumors are ASO will allow them into the Tour next year. God knows they should with their stringent testing, helps keep the doping scandal down.

L

luelling

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/jul07/jul30news2

Spectacular Soler delighted with debut success
Mauricio Soler (Barloworld) dons polka dots

As Barloworld prepared for the Tour de France the Professional Continental squad, which was granted a wildcard entry by organiser ASO, made noises of taking stage wins, but few thought the first would come from a young Colombian climber named Mauricio Soler. The 24 year-old is delighted with his success on Grand Tour debut, having taken home the polka dot mountains jersey in addition to his stage win.

"I have always been a rather serene rider," the Colombian told letour.fr. "I am a pragmatist and realise that if you do things well, there's no reason that the results won't follow. I came to the Tour without a definite goal but the prestige of the event is something that lures you in and extracts more from you.

"The Tour gave me a desire to exceed my expectations," he added. "My life was not very complicated before I arrived at my first Tour and I should point out that when we arrived in the Alps my condition was good and I was able to take full advantage of that. I had great form and I thought I should test myself to see how far I could go.

The Colombian's 78 point victory over yellow jersey Alberto Contador (Discovery Channel) in the mountains classification was momentarily overshadowed when rumours circulated on Friday the rider had tested positive. Both Barloworld and Tour director Christian Prudhomme were quick to counter the allegations, which stemmed from a journalist mis-identifying an Ag2r Prévoyance team car at Barloworld's team hotel as a police car.

With the false allegations quashed, Soler was free to enjoy the closing stages of a spectacular debut Tour, which has seen him re-sign with the British-registered, Italian-based, South African-backed squad for two more season.

"It was a will to win that pushed me further, but also the support of my family," he confessed. "Every day I thought of my family over in Colombia and here I have lived out something that I'll remember for a long time to come."

It wasn't only Soler's family getting behind the youngster, with Colombia's president Alvaro Uribe Velez calling him personally after the Stage 9 victory. GJ