Quantcast

one stop dirt jump/ street shop..

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
what do you guys think of a one stop shop online where you could get all the dope parts from. strictly DJ and the street scene. 20"-26". all hot stuff from here and US and possibly some of stuff from the UK scene if possible like NS bikes...

AN6 Freerider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
socal
i thnk soeone is pondering a new business. hahahahaha sounds cool **** if it was owned by a homie as was stocked with good **** i would buy from it. i just ordered from 3 stores yesterday for the aprts i need to finish my T-O-P

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
thats the thing.. alot of places carry the hot shyt.. but im tired of having to pay for shipping from BFE and wait for 3 diff boxes to show up.. i got the dough to get this going. obviously start out small parts, bars, cranks, stems, tires,

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Sounds good. Go-ride has done so well because of customer service and the fact that it is rider owned and operated. Something close to that for 24"-26" focused on street and dj would do well I think. You might have a hard time getting the pure 20" riders business because they already have good shops like Albes and Empirebmx that have a pretty loyal customer base.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
do it!!! i would order from it for sure and many other people would as well im sure..a lot of places carry the hot sh!t but like you said, there isn't really anywhere that carries it all. it really would be the only 20/24/26 shop...and you could develop a good rep out of that. i say go for it

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
the reason i say 20" also is because there is more crossover with 20 scene moving to big wheels. stems, bars, pedals, chainwheels, and now hubs for some bikes.. and i noticed the selection at some of the 20 shops is a bit limited(aside from Dans).

obviously my selection would be limited at the start, but im sure i could get competitive pricing as i would have almost no overhead/op costs. hell if anything ill get abigger tax refund writing off more stuff working out of my apt..

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
the reason i say 20" also is because there is more crossover with 20 scene moving to big wheels. stems, bars, pedals, chainwheels, and now hubs for some bikes.. and i noticed the selection at some of the 20 shops is a bit limited(aside from Dans).

obviously my selection would be limited at the start, but im sure i could get competitive pricing as i would have almost no overhead/op costs. hell if anything ill get abigger tax refund writing off more stuff working out of my apt..

I say go for it !!!:clapping:
You got our support and one solid line already set if you start !!

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
sounds like you want to start another unreal cycles. he's had trouble keeping the doors open so beware.
yeah i know.. this is a true niche market for sure...

but imagine being able to get something like fly/wombolt cranks, SS 135mm hub, disc brake, tires, macneil seat/post, and 22.2/25.4 bars/stem in one place...

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
sounds like you want to start another unreal cycles. he's had trouble keeping the doors open so beware.

true, but unrealcycles doesn't sell anything that there is a real high demand for..most of their products are out dated or not appealing to most. that IMO is why they have trouble keepin the business coming, because they aren't moving with the industry or "scene." fiddy knows whats up and what people want to spend their money on...

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
yeah, Unreal cycles had it going on a few years back, but ever since their change over in ownership or whatever, I havent' seen much moving through there that actually catches my eye...

maybe if you could work on some distribution within the states for some euro brands too, that would help bring in some orders... Like NPJ for instance, or Mutant bikes or something just for example, although, I don't know, maybe that's not possible right now.

Anyway, good luck, I'd support ya'.

and, are you talking just an online/mail-order deal? It might be hard to get some of these companies/distributors to stock you for that, but I really don't know, I've never looked into starting such a thing.
obviously, you'd have some competition with the big time marketing hitting from ride-this, etc...

Good luck fiddy!

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
good luck fiddy, that would be so frakin awesome!! i do graphics design and could draw up some ads and stuff too. and if you got mutant bikes, you'd be my best friend, i want the x ray

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
yeah, team fiddy hahahaha good one.... it really is a good idea though, and i think you would have the backing of a lot of the people who ride in the whole scene

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Since you're in So Cal, you should open up a shop, as well. There's a big local market. And at this shop, you should have a skate/bike park. A giant one with 15' half pipes, foam pits, resi-ramps, and dirt jumps. And not just any dirt jumps. The gnarlyest dirt jumps in all the land. There should also be a stage setup so local bands can play while the local rippers are ripping. And there should also be a bar and go-carts, cuz I like bars and go-carts.

If you build it, they will come.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Don't forget to add a couple stages/poles with some strippers getting down.

I'd buy from you. Good luck if you take the plunge!

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I think there is a niche that would use an online/mail order shop like that - might be pretty small now - but could get a bunch bigger.

If you could import oddball stuff that's Euro only like 24" Tioga FS100's and NPJ stuff that would be awesome. And I agree getting some 26" wheels along w/ a BMX stem, cranks, and 990's together would be terrific.

Value added stuff on the site would be really good - chainstay length for a particular gear for a 24 or 26" rig. Real product weights. Real photos - not the stock ones companies give.

The only bad thing... serving the east coast. I used Dan's a bunch as in stock stuff is at my door in 2 days. It's a week from a lot of the others. Plus Dan's has weird stuff like 28H hubs and alloy expert sized bars I needed for a 16" build. And they have a huge selection, list wieghts on their site, and typically deals going on.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
im seriously thinking about this.. ive already talked to some knowledgable people in regards to setting up a corporation name,, i know how to get my retail/wholesale license. and lastly i got the dough... fark... i may just really give this a go..

only thing im concerned about is competing with the big shops, even though i know how many people are anti-Dan's, their prices are good and for a small timer like me would probably be hard to compete. only thing i got going is no overhead, i dont have to pay anyone, the fiance is home all day and can help with processing and packaging. I just gotta see what the *real* wholesale prices from places like BTI after i get my retail lic..

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
im seriously thinking about this.. ive already talked to some knowledgable people in regards to setting up a corporation name,, i know how to get my retail/wholesale license. and lastly i got the dough... fark... i may just really give this a go..

only thing im concerned about is competing with the big shops, even though i know how many people are anti-Dan's, their prices are good and for a small timer like me would probably be hard to compete. only thing i got going is no overhead, i dont have to pay anyone, the fiance is home all day and can help with processing and packaging. I just gotta see what the *real* wholesale prices from places like BTI after i get my retail lic..
rock & roll brotha' man!

need an intern?

"fiddy buck huck's, throwin the two-wheel steely deals like we don't give a fvck!"

and yeah, groms don't know anything about dancecomp or dan the swindlin' man.... they just see lots of pretty pictures and lay down mommy and daddy's plastic numbers...

I think for you it would be ALLLL about the site, how it's used, how accurate weights, pictures and descriptions are, etc. I've noticed the ride-this website messes up A LOT, and doesn't load properly for me, or when you hit the back button or something it just freezes, etc., which maybe I'm alone, but that frustrates the hell out of me.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Fiddy
I say go for it , as Don suggested it you import small nitch items from overseas like the Tioga FS-100's and that cool A head cap with the forged section for your front hydro brake ( not sure what this is but Lance MAcDermot had it on his bike )
Dans prices will be hard to compete with , they jsut have way too much buying power . But if you buy smart and get the stuff no-one else has and carter to your direct market IE: mtb street and DJ guys you should be able to grow the business pretty fast .

Getting account's set up with the major dist like
System cycle
Tip Plus
Profile racing

You should be able to get pretty much ANY bmx part , this along with a few accounts with the top 5 frame manufactors in this biz and you could have a really soild shop !

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I think for you it would be ALLLL about the site, how it's used, how accurate weights, pictures and descriptions are, etc. I've noticed the ride-this website messes up A LOT, and doesn't load properly for me, or when you hit the back button or something it just freezes, etc., which maybe I'm alone, but that frustrates the hell out of me.
Agree. I like the guys at ride-this but that site takes forever to navigate and tricky to work.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
I use dans alot because they always seem to have free shipping codes or discounts that equal the charge for shipping. i'm all about that

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
bump,,, the backend stuff is in the works.. working on lining up some hard to get products.. i know you guys listed some brands and stuff, but throw out any more that may have popped up recently...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Make it easy to ship internationally. In a lot of countries like NZ it's hard to get stuff from overseas just because the shops don't think to help you out. Albe's gets overseas business because they make it a little easier.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
schwalbe and tioga 24" tires
Last bikes stuff
Mutant bikes stuff
NJP stuff
other hard to get euro stuff

black market parts
khe
there's more...

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
def the hard to get euro stuff. I wanted to get those damn identiti parks but they were hella expensive.

Great to hear your still moving on this.

Jul 19, 2004
Jax
This idea sounds awsome!! I do professional web-design and would me more then happy to help you out with a site, free of charge of course...well for a t-shirt when you get rolling.