Quantcast

One sweet V10!!

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
A buddy/customer of mine recently got his '10 Boxxer WC on his v10 and added a red Ti spring. He brought in to the shop to show it off and I just had to snap some pictures and share it.

End weight came out to 38.1lbs.

-Kevin

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Great bike.

I realize that first pic is taken on a downward slope, but the HA still looks really steep for some reason. Weird.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Once again, the "the Santa Cruz V-10 has a steep headtube" conversation. Then you realize that the bike sags down 4-5" into its travel, and it's not so steep anymore.

P.S. I'm all about that bike. It's awesome.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Frame: '09 Santa Cruz V-10
Rear Shock: RockShox Vivid w/ti spring
Fork: '10 RockShox Boxxer WC
Headset: Chris King(red)
Stem: Sunline Boxxer Directmount
Bars: Sunline V1(745mm/19mm I believe)
Grips: LizardSkins Peaty w/anodized red Santa Cruz lock-on rings
Brakes: Avid Elixir CR 8" F/R
Seat: SDG I-Fly(I think)
Clamp: Santa Cruz stock(I think)
Pedals: Sunline V1
Cranks: Truvativ Holzfeller OCT
Bottom bracket: Howitzer
Chainring: Truvativ 38t DH
Chainring bolts: Red Alloy Vuelta on the way
Chain: Sram PC991HP
Cassette: Sram 11-26tDH I think
Wheels- Handbuilt Northwest Bike Tech wheels
Front: DT 6000 rim, DT Swiss 240s hub, DT Swiss revolution spokes, DT Swiss Alloy ano'd red nipples
Rear: DT 6000 rim, DT Swiss 340 hub, DT Swiss revolution spokes, DT Swiss Alloy ano'd red nipples
Tires- Front: Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 3c
Rear: Maxxis High Rollor 2.35

The Ti spring was painted by a friend of ours who is a professional painter.

The headangle is 67* static but with 10" of travel it is sags to a much more reasonable headangle and actually rides pretty darn slack.

Eric, if you read this I had to plug in there that I built those wheels for ya.

-Kevin

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Then you realize that the bike sags down 4-5" into its travel, and it's not so steep anymore.
Then you realise the bike returns to steep-central everytime you unweight it or get any air.

Also they shouldn't be running 5" of sag, 33% is what SC recommend if I remember correctly (just like any other bike). They'll happily run up to 40% (4") however it does make the bike more sluggish and more difficult to get off the ground.

By today's standards they are a steep frame no matter how you look at it. If it makes my opinion worth any more, I own the exact same frame - colour and all.

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
Then you realise the bike returns to steep-central everytime you unweight it or get any air.

Also they shouldn't be running 5" of sag, 33% is what SC recommend if I remember correctly (just like any other bike). They'll happily run up to 40% (4") however it does make the bike more sluggish and more difficult to get off the ground.

By today's standards they are a steep frame no matter how you look at it. If it makes my opinion worth any more, I own the exact same frame - colour and all.
Rode mine last week at 40% and this bike is fantastic. It is wierd getting used to sitting almost directly over the rear hub but the control on this bike is by far the best of any DH I have ridden. (And no I am not sponsored by Santa Cruz)

I wish I would have waited for the "10 Boxxer WC, oh well my '09 still will get the job done!

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile

Minnaar, Peat and Bryceland run the boxxer tall crowns for some reason. I believe the sag point is valid, but then you take a look at the M6, which has the same suspension system and just an inch less of travel and has a 64 head angle, 3º less than SC (which also allows you to run the bike with a little less sag, and higher in its travel). I think SC should update their geometry, its the same with the new driver 8, that only has 8 o travel (compared to the V10) and has a 66,5 angle, when it could easily get away with at least a 65,5 and a lower bb

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
perhaps people could realize that Santa Cruz builds bikes the way THEY want, and since thats the case they prefer the head angle the way it is? Not everything needs to follow the "stupid slack" idea that seems to prevail. Think of it as an option.

HitTheLights

Chimp
Mar 6, 2009
Pretty sure that is not the stock color if it is indeed a Project529 frame. They've had yellow frames for 3+ seasons.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I think Maxxis would be rather upset if one of the teams that they DO still sponsor blacked out their tires.

The color IS the stock Santa Cruz yellow. But if I remember correctly all the frames that Project 529 got prior to this year were painted a custom yellow that ended up being very similar to the Santa Cruz yellow.

Actually, I was doing some work to another Project 529 riders new V-10. His came in lime green and was painted yellow. I couldn't tell looking at it, the only way I knew is that I could see the lime grean inside the headtube prior to pressing in the headset.

-Kevin