Quantcast

One thing I like about Obama, and McCain to a similar extent...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
...is that they're both people who've had to lead actual, sometimes dysfunctional lives to end up where they're at today. Romney and Clinton both were born into immense wealth, attended Stanford and Yale respectively, have spouses, parents, etc. who were career politicians and seem to reflect that in their personalities.
WTF do either Romney or Clinton know about the daily struggles of life of the average every-day American citizen?
Of course, McCain's family and his personal history are all military related, he attended the naval academy which is kind of an uppity thing of its own, but the guy did spend 5 years as a POW, endured torture, saw death, etc. I have a good feeling that he might have a little bit more of an idea about being a commander in chief, what the troops can endure and all of that than some born-into-aristocracy smooth talker like Romney or Clinton.
Obama's past is frought with death, divorce, living in different regions, bi-racial parenthood, etc. He wasn't born into wealth from what I understand and I think that speaks to his character.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
...but the guy did spend 5 years as a POW, endured torture, saw death, etc. I have a good feeling that he might have a little bit more of an idea about being a commander in chief, what the troops can endure and all of that than some born-into-aristocracy smooth talker ...
I used to agree 100% until he supported invading Iran. That's insane.

On a similar note, that's why I kinda like Guiliani... three wives? The guy is truly human.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I used to agree 100% until he supported invading Iran. That's insane.

On a similar note, that's why I kinda like Guiliani... three wives? The guy is truly human.
Opie, that crap is all lip service. They're all pandering to their bases at this stage, not the moderates yet, and no one in their right mind would stretch out our military like that unless it was a last resort.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Opie, that crap is all lip service. They're all pandering to their bases at this stage, not the moderates yet, and no one in their right mind would stretch out our military like that unless it was a last resort.
He's the ONLY one saying it. Sorry, that immediately and automatically disqualifies him from my point of view. Again, he's the only one saying it.

Who here said, "Bush has no plans to invade Iran. Oh, he's going to invade, he just doesn't have a plan." ?? :D

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
McCain wouldn't allow this waterboarding torture BS our current admin things is ok, not with his background. He actually strikes me as a fairly intelligent and balanced individual, something I can't say for Romney or Huckaby....

Obama is the man though, his is the wallet that say "bad motherfvcker" on it.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Dude, McCain was on the freakin' USS Forestal! People like to point out the whole POW thing, but the Forestal mess was hardcore too.

Anyone who has been through Navy firefighting has seen that footage. That was a custerf*ck to beat all.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Obama is the man though, his is the wallet that say "bad motherfvcker" on it.
Why?

Is it anything he has done? Skin color alone?

I don't get the Obama nut swinging mentality.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Well Obama went to Columbia, his step-father worked for an oil-company so I don't know if he was ever starving in a garrett but an interesting life nonetheless.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Why?

Is it anything he has done? Skin color alone?

I don't get the Obama nut swinging mentality.
He can deliver a speech that doesn't sound like it was written by Rush Limbaugh or a lobbyist.

Damning with faint praise, I know...but it is what it is.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Obama depicted Clinton as a calculating, poll-tested divisive figure who will only inspire greater partisan divisions as she sides with Republicans on issues like trade, the role of lobbyists in politics and national security. . . .

"Democrats will win in November and build a majority in Congress not by nominating a candidate who will unite the other party against us, but by choosing one who can unite this country around a movement for change," Obama said. . . .

"It is time for new leadership that understands the way to win a debate with John McCain or any Republican who is nominated is not by nominating someone who agreed with him on voting for the war in Iraq or who agreed with him in voting to give George Bush the benefit of the doubt on Iran, who agrees with him in embracing the Bush-Cheney policy of not talking to leaders we don't like, who actually differed with him by arguing for exceptions for torture before changing positions when the politics of the moment changed," Obama said.

"We need to offer the American people a clear contrast on national security, and when I am the nominee of the Democratic Party, that is exactly what I will do," he said.
a couple observations:
- obama paints clinton as divisive, then cites where she sides w/ republicans
- and the whole last paragraph: wtf? does he intend to do away w/ the DHS? what exactly would a "clear contrast on national security" look like?
- why is he campaigning against bush?

so while maybe he can deliver a speech, maybe he should hire some speechwriters who can write one that doesn't make him look so awkward.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
a couple observations:
- obama paints clinton as divisive, then cites where she sides w/ republicans
- and the whole last paragraph: wtf? does he intend to do away w/ the DHS? what exactly would a "clear contrast on national security" look like?
- why is he campaigning against bush?
A) He's right. She's the worst of both worlds: a pandering centrist who still manages to be divisive and absolutely villified by the opposing party.
B) Agreed, he has been vague to this point
C) Because Bush is an easy target and the Dems want to strategically maintain the association between ANY Republican and Bush.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
C) Because Bush is an easy target and the Dems want to strategically maintain the association between ANY Republican and Bush.
It's also pretty clear that the Republicans with the exception of McCain on torture and Ron Paul on almost everything is running on the platform that Bush's policies are great.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
It's also pretty clear that the Republicans with the exception of McCain on torture and Ron Paul on almost everything is running on the platform that Bush's policies are great.
McCain isnt on board w/ the tax cuts as far as I know, doesnt want to drill ANWR, supports global warming initiatives, etc.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I don't care about ANWR. The oil there is a drop in the bucket.

I thought he supported making the Bush tax cuts permanent?
Actually, I read that wrong, nevermind. I thought I remember reading he opposed them from the start.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
This is exactly why i have a hard time with McCain.

He's the Democrat's choice for a Republican president.

That right there should tell you there's some problems.
I like McCain, but he's older than the crypt keeper. I have to pay attention to who is on the other side because I know a lot of "red states" will vote Rep. because they fear a black or woman president.

If McCain was 15 years younger, then it would be an easier loss to take.