Quantcast

One way to get back at the scammers.....

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
825
0
Earlier this week I posted some stuff for sale, I immediately got an email from a scammer, with the typical "I'll send you this much in a cashiers check, you send the bike and the extra money.....", well, the fact that I didn't have a bike for sale gave it away. Anyway, I told him my bike was $3400, he sent out a cashiers check, overnighted from london, along with a UPS call tag for the bike. I told the UPS guy that the bike would be ready tomorrow......

I went down to my local shop, and got 2 bike boxes. I put the second, smaller box, inside the first, to reinforce it for what I had planned... :D

I then filled the boxes with parts of a cut up tree stump, and hunks of broken concrete. The end weight was 156 pounds. I had to help the UPS guy get it into his truck. On the customs form, I put, commercial product, value $7200. I got online, and depending on the method, shipping alone on the bike should be around $700, and the customs fees should be another $600 or so, all of which is coming directly out of this a$$holes's wallet. I asked the driver, if he could refuse the package because of the fees, and they said he has a UPS account, so everything is automatically charged to him. (Bad thing is, he's probably using someone else's account, I dodn't think about that until after the package was gone.) Today I'm going to the post office to send my second package to this guy, a thank you card, and a jar of ky jelly to help with the anal rape he's about to receive. If more of us started doing things like this, we could help put an end to some of these scams.
 

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
4,027
0
Miami, FL
Did they do the typical over pay and expect money back? if so how'd you deal with that, just not send it or did you make a bogus check to send back to him?
 

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
825
0
Slugman said:
Did they do the typical over pay and expect money back? if so how'd you deal with that, just not send it or did you make a bogus check to send back to him?
he's still waiting for me to send the balance via western union. he's gonna be waiting along time hehehehehe
 

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
825
0
AggieRacer said:
Im not quite understanding how these guys make money off of this. Did the check that they send you bounce?
they send a fake cashiers check for more than the cost of the bike, and want you to send the balance. Many banks will cash these checks immediately, so a week after you've sent this guy your bike, and a couple extra $k, the bank calls you and wants their money!
 

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
825
0
Li'l Dave said:
Right on man, next time I get one of those scams I know exactly what I am doing for him in return... :devil: :devil: :evil:
the key is to have them send a call tag for your bike. thats the only way it will work.
 

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
845
0
San Jose, CA
I'm going to get someone to send the check to my shop, if he really wants to come in and have his friends beat me up or something, he can deal with all the shop guys... good luck buddy!!
 
D

d-sop

Guest
to make it better put the address as someone you hate. otherwise, thats soooooo awesome. i would do that.
 

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
825
0
yojimborace said:
Hey Fulton, any more news? I wanna know if I should try this or not :D :D :D
Haven't heard anything. UPS didn't give me a tracking number when they picked upthe package. The scammer has had the gall to tell me:

"I am disapointed of you because the balance have not been sent. I am an honorable person with most good intentions."

I haven't heard from him in about a week though, so I'm not sure what's happening with it.

If you can get your guy to send a call tag for the bike, I say go for it.
 

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
739
0
Toronto, Canada
oscerthegrouch said:
you think if i cash the check at one of the ghetto places i get to keep the money some scammer is sending me 2500$
You might get the money but I'm sure for that amount of cash they'd ask for some sort of identification.
 

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
4,564
0
SC, CA
This reminds me of that "Scam the Scammer" story about an iBook some guy sold. That was great story based on the same concept. But this guy had another computer forum member track down the london address of the scammer and do some serious investigating. Here's a link to the full story, such a great victory!

http://www.mannequin3d.com/powerbook/
 

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
8,933
0
Montgomery county MD
punkassean said:
This reminds me of that "Scam the Scammer" story about an iBook some guy sold. That was great story based on the same concept. But this guy had another computer forum member track down the london address of the scammer and do some serious investigating. Here's a link to the full story, such a great victory!

http://www.mannequin3d.com/powerbook/

Greatest. Thing. Ever!

I can't belive I just sat here and read that whole thing, but damn was it worth it!
 

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
547
0
Independence,Mo
oscerthegrouch said:
you think if i cash the check at one of the ghetto places i get to keep the money some scammer is sending me 2500$
Wouldnt it make you into what they are IF YOU DO THIS ? After all it isnt their money. It's the banks money. And i'm not down for robben no banks. They would shurly catch you. Those check cashing places have cameras aimed right at you're face. "Hate to see you on the 6 0 clock news, if you try it man."

And I think FULTON had a better time rippen this scammers AZZ then he would have had spenden some scammers money. Hurt these terds the legal way, instead of hurten you're self and in turn being the same as they are!
 

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
825
0
ctrailfreak said:
Wouldnt it make you into what they are IF YOU DO THIS ? After all it isnt their money. It's the banks money. And i'm not down for robben no banks. They would shurly catch you. Those check cashing places have cameras aimed right at you're face. "Hate to see you on the 6 0 clock news, if you try it man."

And I think FULTON had a better time rippen this scammers AZZ then he would have had spenden some scammers money. Hurt these terds the legal way, instead of hurten you're self and in turn being the same as they are!
Just curious, what legal action could I have taken? The American authorities have expressed zero interest in these situations.

Yes, I do indeed sleep better at night knowing what I did, too many people have been ripped off by @ssholes like this. If they stop making money with these scams, they'll stop doing them.


Also, how am I "being the same as they are!"? I take a good bit of offense to that. I had nothing to gain from this situation, and was only motivated by the countless stories I've heard of people getting screwed out of their bikes and thousands of dollars. Would you feel better if I sent this guy a check for $1500 to cover his expenses?
 

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
547
0
Independence,Mo
Fulton said:
Just curious, what legal action could I have taken? The American authorities have expressed zero interest in these situations.

Yes, I do indeed sleep better at night knowing what I did, too many people have been ripped off by @ssholes like this. If they stop making money with these scams, they'll stop doing them.


Also, how am I "being the same as they are!"? I take a good bit of offense to that. I had nothing to gain from this situation, and was only motivated by the countless stories I've heard of people getting screwed out of their bikes and thousands of dollars. Would you feel better if I sent this guy a check for $1500 to cover his expenses?
Did you not even read what I had typed? It was not even directed at you Fulton. It was directed at the guy that asked if he could just keep the cash the scammers had sent him. Notice the (quote) in my post and read it again!

I was actually commending you,not puting you down. I dont even know what you are talking about.Again, I did not direct this at you. It was directed at oscerthegrouch!

Read his post. What I said is that if he tried to cash a check that was fake some scammer sent him, knowing that it was fake. And kept the remainder of the money, it would make him no better than the person that had scammed him! "since it was the banks money he would be takeing" NOT THE SCAMMERS. And doing so intentionaly.

That is what is illegal! Not what you did. If you are offended by what I said, then I hope this clears things up some. "It was not intended that way." :thumb:
 

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
825
0
ctrailfreak said:
Did you not even read what I had typed? It was not even directed at you Fulton. It was directed at the guy that asked if he could just keep the cash the scammers had sent him. Notice the (quote) in my post and read it again!

I was actually commending you,not puting you down. I dont even know what you are talking about.Again, I did not direct this at you. It was directed at oscerthegrouch!

Read his post. What I said is that if he tried to cash a check that was fake some scammer sent him, knowing that it was fake. And kept the remainder of the money, it would make him no better than the person that had scammed him! "since it was the banks money he would be takeing" NOT THE SCAMMERS. And doing so intentionaly.

That is what is illegal! Not what you did. If you are offended by what I said, then I hope this clears things up some. "It was not intended that way." :thumb:
I'm sorry, been having ash!tty day...didn't comprehend you post before I responded. thanks