Quantcast

One Week in Paradise - BC Bike Ride

Ridemonkey.com

News & Reviews
Jun 26, 2009

When you send two of mountain biking's brightest brains on a massive adventure through the BC forest, what do you come up with? An awesome piece of writing coupled with amazing photographs thanks to Seb and Nic.
---

Article Courtesy of Bike Magazine, to view all the photos check the original post.

Words by Seb Kemp
Photos by Nicolas Teichrob

Day One: Lift-off!

The De Havilland chugs across the lake and we lift slowly off of the water. The noise from the engines would muffle any conversation, that is, if the incredible scenes didn’t already do so. Everyone present on the plane is glued to the window. So much to see of the immense land. Eyes scan upon the miniature scene then as a point of reference or relative scale comes into view it is all placed into perspective.

The view is mesmerizing.

Hearts almost burst as it is almost too beautiful to behold. So much land and space, so many hidden spots that may never be seen. It is a lot to take in. Seeing just the Sea-to-Sky corridor from this perspective gives an idea of how much there is to explore in this amazingly active and diverse province.

We exit the mouth of the Howe Sound and before us opens a wide expanse of water and so now that the views are more placid I take the moment to dip into the in-flight magazine and read a captivating history of a family of carny folks. I get to the part where the author was explaining how the economics of midway carnivals work when a sudden banking by the floatplane shakes me from my perusal and my starboard window becomes more akin to that of a glass bottom boat as my view is just of uninterrupted ocean. It takes me a moment to process why we are making such an erratic flight path but then the tiny (from this altitude anyway) black body of an orca whale breaches from its watery habitat and splashes down on the slate blue surface and buries itself back out of sight. We see other whales, less adventurous ones rolling in and out of view and a scattered collection of boats trying to get their passengers a better view, but we have the best, I think. After a few more circles we straighten up and continue west over the archipelago of the Gulf Islands before descending into Victoria. The little houses, streets and cars grow with brilliant speed before a few thuds on the seaplane’s pontoons and we are back at ground (or sea if you want to be picky) level, and returned to a life back within the great expanse where the horizon is stunted and interrupted.

We jump out of the plane, figuratively speaking, and are hit by the chill wind. We shiver through a hot lunch on the waterfront then boot up for a super spin around the city on some sweet cruisers and town bikes. The inner hoodlum comes out in each of the crew and we soon become a bicycle gang; harassing traffic, whizzing through the streets skidding, hopping curbs and splashing puddles.

“Phillip’s Brewery!” someone calls from the pack and the direction turns toward the hoppy haven. A quick party-keg purchase and we head to the windblown sea front. Big cups are gulped down and we hit the street again, burning beer and oxygen as we hook along the ocean towards town again. Riding city bikes has never been so much fun. Endorphins and skids get the hearts pumping and the buzz going.

This was day one of the road trip for photographer Nicolas Tiechrob and myself on the inaugural BC Bike Ride, organized by the creators of the BC Bike Race. After five years of running the BCBR, Dean Payne, Tom Skinner and Andreas Hestler finally feel like they have things under control enough to be able to offer a more casual approach to riding the amazing singletrack that is strung around the west coast of British Columbia. As opposed to the merely competitive approach, singletrack sniffers can join this crew on a more intimate—and less hurried—schedule as they road trip to Vancouver and back with stops in Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton, Victoria, Cowichan Bay, Cumberland, and Hornby Island.

With Crankworx overlapping the first two days of the road trip, Nic and myself belatedly joined the crew who had already been lucky enough to ride Pemberton, Squamish and Whistler. As I climbed into the sea plane and lifted off from Whistler I could feel the chaos and hangover of Crankworx being left behind on the dock. Lying ahead was the excitement of supreme singletrack to be shared with like-minded trail hounds and happy fellas.

Day Two: City Sunrise

The life-giving sunshine and vibrant illumination of early-morning blue skies and good light makes it feel great to be up this early. A quick six-block jaunt to a breakfast of eggs, bacon and potatoes will fuel the day’s leg burn. Perhaps another coffee? Why not, the Americano in the Parkside Hotel was the best I’ve ever tasted.

The Dump. Andreas Hestler leads Seb Kemp.

To read Seb's full account of the journey and see 24 more photos, check it out here!

Attachments