Quantcast

One year ago.....

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
wow, how fast things progress. i was looking at some old pics of noah at country park and found this one from almost exactly a year ago. just barely fast enough to make it to the top, feet off the pedals in anticipation of a crash.....

and then i took these yesterday

man! i can't wait until he can fit on this 20"(it would be heavily modded with a single front chainring and shorter stem of course :D ) ...but at his current growth chart rating, it'll be a looooong time

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
motomike said:
wow. I didn't realize that. He is killing it now! :thumb:
yeah, you missed it yesterday man..he's less than a foot from getting his front tire to the tranny on the big table and less than that on the double after it. it's so cool to see him pedal through the berm now.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
manimal said:
man! i can't wait until he can fit on this 20"(it would be heavily modded with a single front chainring and shorter stem of course :D ) ...but at his current growth chart rating, it'll be a looooong time
NGGH! No, get him a superlight race BMX as his first 20". It'd be way better for him...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That rocks! My daughter will be the XC queen at the rate she is going. She loves to ride and is pissed that it's raining.

Maybe when the jumps are done by my house, she will rip too :D

Thanks for the pics, they are great!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Changleen said:
NGGH! No, get him a superlight race BMX as his first 20". It'd be way better for him...

i thought about getting him a 16" super mini but after looking at those wheels, i don't think they'd last long with the type of riding he likes. he's not really racing bmx, he's more into dj's and urban right now. he keeps begging me for front suspension...if only they made a fork for 16" wheels :D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Those Scott kid's bikes are killer. Real MTBs for the little monkeys, not overweight China made Wal-Mart equivalents that most companies spit out. I'm sure he'll have a spurt soon :p

Perhaps you should have some lowers custom made for a fork? Eh? eh?

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
manimal said:
i thought about getting him a 16" super mini but after looking at those wheels, i don't think they'd last long with the type of riding he likes.
20" mini wheels hold up just fine to dj's, stairs, rocky rooty singletrack, etc.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
justsomeguy said:
20" mini wheels hold up just fine to dj's, stairs, rocky rooty singletrack, etc.
reallly? i guess that you're probably right...being that he's only in the 40lb range. they're just so similar in size/width to road wheels and he'll lose the little bit of cushion that he has from his wider tires now. i can see how they'd smoke on a groomed bmx course but they have got to be rough on a trail.

any comments peete? i know your bmx superstars rode minis

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five

Have you seen this bike manimal? I built one up over Christmas for a kid and I kept thinking it would be perfect for the tiny ripper. The family who bought it asked us to put training wheels on it, so we sold them another bike for their son.

3 piece cranks, burly wheels, no coaster brake, gyro, working bmx brake, super solid frame (you could probably jump it).

Definitely worth looking into.

The Ito

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
ito said:

Have you seen this bike manimal? I built one up over Christmas for a kid and I kept thinking it would be perfect for the tiny ripper. The family who bought it asked us to put training wheels on it, so we sold them another bike for their son.

3 piece cranks, burly wheels, no coaster brake, gyro, working bmx brake, super solid frame (you could probably jump it).

Definitely worth looking into.

The Ito
those look nice. he has a 16" haro nyquist that he rides occassionaly but it's just so friggin long that he can't jump anything with it...not enough leverage. any idea what the wheelbase is on those bikes? the haro is like 6" longer than his yellow huffy and quite a bit heavier.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
manimal said:
reallly? i guess that you're probably right...being that he's only in the 40lb range. they're just so similar in size/width to road wheels
They area a much smaller diameter though...

And you can run 20x1 3/8 for a bit more cush if necessary.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
this just in........top secret frankenstein project bike is being pieced together. no further info as of yet but i may post random off-angle shots of the build as it progresses (kind of like how nissan leaked some strange angled shots of the 350z when it was to be reintroduced :D ). it's going to be SICK!

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
manimal said:
those look nice. he has a 16" haro nyquist that he rides occassionaly but it's just so friggin long that he can't jump anything with it...not enough leverage. any idea what the wheelbase is on those bikes? the haro is like 6" longer than his yellow huffy and quite a bit heavier.
Hmm, no idea. It is made after the larger version of the General Lee, so it might be well proportioned.

but it sounds like soemthing is in the works, good luck.

The Ito