Quantcast

One!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Canyon Ridge

In many Ranger districts in Washington State there is a good amount of riding opportunities for mt. bikers. Even the Olympic Forest in all of its pristine nature has managed to squeeze out access to a handful of trails around each corner of the foothills. A few even outstanding.

Yet unfortunately the Mt. Baker/Snoqualmie Ranger District is not so giving. It wouldn't be a bad guess to assume that the political influence to make it so would be from idealism from the city.

So from that we get the scraps. Here mt. biker you can have ONE trail in the Mt. Baker area in which to enjoy. A fine peice of old forest road that dives into a gully, whoopee!

Followed by a steep straight boring piece of singletrack that climbs straight up to the spine of the ridge and drops down into this...

They can't despise us this much can they? After only a little more than a mile into the ride i had seen enough of this end of the trail. i turned back around and drove myself to the other trailhead a healthy 15 mile forest road drive.

A trailhead well populated with cars, i knew this was the proper way to enter the trail. i also found it interesting to note that the trail is not open to mt. bikes until August 1. So i assume that with the snow we're getting as i write this, that the trail will be effectively closed. A trail that can be enjoyed for 2 months in a year, 3 if you're lucky.

i had set up a ride at Baker Lake Trail, a trail on the other side of the mountain a week back. Knowing that the information i had could be wrong i gave a call to the Ranger Office to check on it's status. (That can be a long drawn out process in itself for sometimes it's easier and faster to get quality help at the DMV.)
Well after an abrubt conversation i not only found out that the trail being marked open on my map was a mistake, but i was also told by the representative that i could ride a Llama on that trail if i wanted. And she was proud to inform me that there was only ONE trail open to mt. bikes.
i asked her why there was only one trail open in the vast area. She had no answer that she sounded willing to divulge. i had gotten the information i sought so i thanked her.

Signing up at the register, and back into the woods i enter. Alone with my bike and my own ideals.

Green minds would have you believe that standing idle apart from nature with no interference is the proper way to walk the path. But in my view our very presence is an action. In my view we are part of nature, we are animals. Thru any actions we have the gift to participate thru what might be called recreation or management. The key is with that comes the responsibility to balance that. With industrialism a very real threat to our environment of which we all need to sustain life, comes the overreaction to shut people out of the forests.

Unless you wish to recreate precisely how they see fit.

According to native lore Komo Kulshan had 2 wives. Clear Sky and Fair Maiden. Though Clear Sky was more beautiful Fair Maiden had won Kulshans favor thru kindness.
Bitter and jealous Clear Sky left Kulshan, stopping at times to see if Kulshan would call her back. She brought all of her seeds and bulbs for her journey south and would stand on her tiptoes atop hills and mountains to peer back upon Kulshan and their children.

Although Kulshan loved Clear Sky his pride kept him from calling her back. Clear Sky made camp far South on a very high hill. Convinced her husband didn't want her she stayed and cultivated her seeds and bulbs, so that every year flowers of every color bloom before her. And she had stretched herself so high so on a clear day she could still see Shuksan and her children. She became what's known today as Mt. Rainier.

Fair Maiden stayed with Kulshan for a long time, but desired to visit her family. So Kulshan enlisted the help of all the clawed animals to dig a trench, and turned all the water from the nearby mountains into Nooksack River. A canoe brought her to the sea.
Visiting and leaving food at every island she went to, every island used to be named for what food was in abundance there. Eventually she laid down and became an island herself. What's known today as Spiedan and her son was born a similiar small island lying beside her known today as Sentinel.

Mt. Baker/Komo-Kulshan

Kulshan, left with his children into the mountains of the North Cascades. Like his wife Kulshan stretched upward, trying to see his wives, as did his children.
The Three of them grew taller and taller and became high mountains. One is Shuksan, a little east of Kulshan and almost as tall. The others are Twin Sisters, a little west and south of Kulshan.

Mt. Shuksan

Still awake?

Like what was commented by the ride leader beside our camp fire during last weeks ride. It's pretty silly to find out how much politics are involved in something so simple as riding a bike in the woods.

A few weeks ago at my aunts house on the Reservation in Eastern Washington, i heard a new report on the tube. They had announced another parcel of land in Idaho had come under Wilderness designation and miles of trails had now become closed to mt. biking. IMBA's standard official stance was that while it will fight to keep trail access open that it's members too enjoy wild places.
i suppose we'll just have to enjoy them looking from afar...

Standing on my tiptoes.

The trail you ask? Well if you live in the area and want a fun descent, and as you can see outstanding view, go check it out. Be prepared for alot of hike a bike to get to it, for only about 4 or so miles of worthwhile trail. Although the trail spans for another 4, it's not worth it to continue for a complete out and back. Like many ridge trails in the area the trail builders punched out steep trails with little imagination or flow.
Canyon Ridge, the scraps thrown under the table for us lowly mt. bikers. Yet the undeniable beauty of what we are denied is clearly evident from the view atop the high point of our ONE trail.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Another great one skookes!

You know, our problem in the south really isnt with "Wilderness Designations" its just that there isnt enough interest in the sport here to really get the manpower to tap into alot of the potential. There are huge state and national forests in TN that simply dont have MTB trails (or none to speak of at least) just because no one has really built any.
As far as "Wilderness" goes, I see your frustration. I dont think bikes are really any more detrimental to nature than hikers, but hey, as long as its not getting logged, I guess Im happy.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Heh, Baker ALWAYS has a lot of snow on it!
I love that area, but I've never been on a bike in it. The best part though is the road up, rally at it's finest!

So was there biking allowed on Canyon Ridge? Or was the Ranger elusively referring to somewhere else? I'm not going to harp on you if it's not, just curious. Though what kills trails is poorly skilled riders dragging the rear tire down erosion-prone inclines.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
You know, our problem in the south really isnt with "Wilderness Designations" its just that there isnt enough interest in the sport here to really get the manpower to tap into alot of the potential. There are huge state and national forests in TN that simply dont have MTB trails (or none to speak of at least) just because no one has really built any.
As far as "Wilderness" goes, I see your frustration. I dont think bikes are really any more detrimental to nature than hikers, but hey, as long as its not getting logged, I guess Im happy.
If you really study up on why mt. bikes are denied access and read inbetween the lines it's all about hikers not wanting to share. Honestly the belief is that bicycles are speeding vehicles that will disturb animals and destroy fauna, uhmmmmm yah....
Part of Wilderness is taking out forest roads and eliminating machinery, which essentially destroys trails and access to public lands. i've talked to a Ranger in the Colville district who says if his Kettle Crest area comes under Wilderness Designation that probably up to 40% of the 110 miles of singletrack now open to mt. bikes will be decommisioned since he depends on sub-contracting locals to clear trails of blowdown and deadfall. Nobody will do it with a handsaw since you can't run a chainsaw in Wilderness.
You say you're against logging but logging is quite necessary to eliminate thick overgrown forests and diseased trees. HUGE wildfires happen every year and get totally out of control in Wilderness areas in the Eastern side of the Cascade Range where it's a total different dry climate than our wet West side. Trust me a clearcut looks just as bad as burnt forest, although i'm not a proponent of clearcut unless necessary. i'm more of a thinning kind of feller. Seems like everyone is so against logging but have no problem with living in houses made of wood or reading a newspaper... About 20 years ago Weherhauser (local logging giant) used this fear to push legislation thru (remember spotted owl?) to monopolize the logging industry. They in turn bought out the little guys and ran a glut of sales of raw timber to Japan effectively killing our mill jobs in the process. Anyways this is yet another demonstration of pushing agenda using the fears of green minded ignorant city folk who think they know what's best for nature. They don't mind that acres and acres are being blown down as long as it's out of their sight from their local hike...
Anyways i think the designation has run it's sensible course in our state. i'm not against Wilderness or the original intent and ideal, but i'm against any further public land in this state falling under the designation until more common sense is instilled into the process.

And as far as your state forests, you should get in contact with them and other local riders. It all starts with people with too much time on their hands. Start or join a local IMBA club and have them build some killer mt. bike trails, maybe all they are waiting for is someone to ask?
Well it probably won't be that easy, but still the farther you get from big cities the more open government is about opening up public lands to recreate.

So was there biking allowed on Canyon Ridge? Or was the Ranger elusively referring to somewhere else? I'm not going to harp on you if it's not, just curious.
Yes and no. Canyon Ridge is it, as far as federal forest land.
There is some trails South of Baker i think that should be open to bikes but are not (including Baker Lake), and there are alot of trails off Ross Lake that should be open as well. This is all stuff that's off of Wilderness Designation too, so my rant on only 1 trail being open really goes beyond my rant on Wilderness...

i've never held any "legit" trails on the "d-l", just don't believe in that.:)