Quantcast

Onyx hubs

jstuhlman

We noticed.
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i would not bitch if no one updated anything. i could not give fewer fucks as long as it’s solid and functional. but maybe i am a curmudgeonly black sheep :twitch:

jonKranked

Press Button, Receive Stupid
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
much shiny. what's the weigh savings over a regular hub?
dunno about regular hubs, but claimed 156g against the last iteration of the onyx hub.

The long anticipated Onyx Vesper has landed. The signature Onyx Racing Products sprag clutch hub is now available in a lighter and more easily adaptable format. The Vesper inherits the performance focused DNA of its predecessor without compromise. Significant revisions and tweaks on both the front and rear hubs result in a weight saving of around 156g depending on the configuration.

https://noblwheels.com/the-all-new-onyx-vesper/

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
A smaller set of grouped sprags interface with a narrower steel contact patch on the drive axle.

The freehub itself no longer rests on a steel axle, but utilizes a keyed interface. Once again, less steel means more weight savings.

Gonna take a wait and see on reduced sprags and narrower contact patch.

The rear hub represents only a 65g weight savings. Not insignificant, but the front represents 49g. You could probably find a different front hub that's even lighter. I wouldn't go sellin yer hubs for 65g. In total it's 114g for the 32h 6b boost weights claimed.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Anyone else got comments on the Onyx hubs? Originals are still pretty chunky and concerns about potential slip with the lighter weight Vespers.

I'm waiting to hear back from I9 if they have any old Torch hub shells sitting on a shelf after breaking the drive side flange, otherwise I need a new rear hub...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
behind you, don't wait up.
Anyone else got comments on the Onyx hubs? Originals are still pretty chunky and concerns about potential slip with the lighter weight Vespers.

I'm waiting to hear back from I9 if they have any old Torch hub shells sitting on a shelf after breaking the drive side flange, otherwise I need a new rear hub...
Potential slips under massive loads? Or potential slips under normal use?
If I wasn't such a king fan I'd try those vespers in a minute.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Some users have reported under very high torque I think from the little on emptybeer.

jstuhlman

We noticed.
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

hope it nao

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
A friend I ride here breaks everything and got a classic Onyx hub. He broke that too (drive mech).

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Looks like I'll be sticking with Torch for a while, I9 have a hub shell I can rebuild with.

jonKranked

Press Button, Receive Stupid
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i've known one guy who torqued through a king drive. granted he was a big dude (north of 220, probably about 6'4" at least) and was using it for trials. certainly not most common circumstances.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002

I have a set that have been trouble free, but my mileage on them is low. Just swapped to an XD driver and cassette to drop some weight- it was an easy process and I managed not to fuck anything up.

Brief review- they are not light, especially with the steel shimano freehub, but it's not rotational weight and they truly do seem to spin very fast when coasting. The feeling of cruising through the woods on a silent bike is pretty amazing, hearing only the slap of the derailleur and the crush of twigs/small children...tho you may hear other annoying noises, like pivot creak and hose rattling so much clearer. Engagement is indeed very quick, but on my bike there has always been a minuscule amount of lash...as the system winds up from power. I can't really say whether I would prefer a lash-free high engagement style hub, or an instant engagement hub with some flex due to lash, but the silence of the onyx is worth it IMO.

I'm a pretty renowned cheapskate (@jonKranked ) but these were one of the few items I paid full price for on my bike build.