Quantcast

Onyx hubs

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I've always been intrigued by those. A buddy runs them on his bikes. I'm a big fan of tight engagement.

(that's what she said!)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The new XTR and shimano stuff is interesting too, silent. The sprag mech on the Onyx should be able to deal with massive torque, but it's not light. The new XTR is light.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
The new XTR and shimano stuff is interesting too, silent. The sprag mech on the Onyx should be able to deal with massive torque, but it's not light. The new XTR is light.
I thought they were developing a lighter version? I haven't investigated for several months though.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Talked to Dan the other day.

The lightweight hubs are on track for an April release.

There will be no 157 in the initial release, and at this point no ETA.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Just heard back from Dan @ Onyx regarding XTR Microspline retrofits to allow the new XTR cassette to be used.

Nope.
Shimano has not opened up licencing yet.
So, at this point there are no Microspline retrofits for old hubs, as well there is no idea when or even if Shimano will open up their patent.

At this point DT-Swiss and I9 are the only companies outside of Shimano who have licences to produce Microspline.

I guess Shimano does not want me back as a customer.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Just heard back from Dan @ Onyx regarding XTR Microspline retrofits to allow the new XTR cassette to be used.

Nope.
Shimano has not opened up licencing yet.
So, at this point there are no Microspline retrofits for old hubs, as well there is no idea when or even if Shimano will open up their patent.

At this point DT-Swiss and I9 are the only companies outside of Shimano who have licences to produce Microspline.

I guess Shimano does not want me back as a customer.
shimano has bigger fish to fry right now, given the delays they're experiencing with the new xtr stuff. they had to remove the sylence tech from the hubs.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
shimano has bigger fish to fry right now, given the delays they're experiencing with the new xtr stuff. they had to remove the sylence tech from the hubs.
Yup, one fuck up after another.
XD is an open standard.
But no, we have to create yet another standard, then we won't let it be produced by most of the industry, then just for extra frosting, we cancel the one hub that everybody has been looking forward to leaving even less options.
For Heyzoos's sake, we have people buying DT microspline drivers and chucking them in a lathe to re-shoulder the body to fit the last gen of DT Swiss hubs....cause guess what, older 240's you are out of luck, but there is a fix if you have accesses to a lathe for 10 minutes. DT says no plans for a driver sized to fit older generations

Don't even get me started on the new tooth / chain profile....

FUCK.THIS.INDUSTRY.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
XD is an open standard.
But no, we have to create yet another standard, then we won't let it be produced by most of the industry, then just for extra frosting, we cancel the one hub that everybody has been looking forward to leaving even less options.
For Heyzoos's sake, we have people buying DT microspline drivers and chucking them in a lathe to re-shoulder the body to fit the last gen of DT Swiss hubs....cause guess what, older 240's you are out of luck, but there is a fix if you have accesses to a lathe for 10 minutes. DT says no plans for a driver sized to fit older generations

FUCK.THIS.INDUSTRY.

XD isn't open. You have to license it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
XD is an open standard.

FUCK.THIS.INDUSTRY.
Also just so we're clear - Shimano didn't cancel the xtr hubs. They just won't have the Sylence feature.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
@jonKranked Ya, I know I'm being pedantic, but I'm getting old, grumpy and want all you bastages off of my lawn.

When they killed that feature they killed that hub. They may use the shell with different conventional guts to sell, but that is not the Sylence hub, that is gone.

As for emulating SRAM - that may be the case, but who's fault is that? Just because they fvcked up and did a SRAM does not mean that we customers can't Nelson Muntz them. They need to be pointed and laughed at.

Amateurs - they have had 4 years to answer the SRAM shot, and when we are all expecting fireworks, we get an anemic backfire.

@Nick - Yup, feel much better-er now. Better getting it out by yelling at clouds and you fools, then snapping at my family. I guess I've been trying to figure out the drivetrain for the new bike. Was pretty set on XTR and figured I may have to wait a bit for a driver, so use a cheap GX or similar in the short term....but then you find out no microspline driver, and the chain / chainring issues, no cranks etc. Still a small chance I will go XTR mechs with SRAM cassette and chain instead of full X01, but really what would that buy me at this point. Bit frustrating.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
SRAM simply out-shimano-ed Shimano, and now they have released AXS, which one-ups them again, getting rid of cables/wires.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Shimano seems to have dropped di mountain, wonder if it will return.

$450 cassette wears out, I can choke on that, $500 derailleur breaks cause I clipped a rock on my first ride I will be really unhappy.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
@jonKranked Ya, I know I'm being pedantic, but I'm getting old, grumpy and want all you bastages off of my lawn.

When they killed that feature they killed that hub. They may use the shell with different conventional guts to sell, but that is not the Sylence hub, that is gone.

As for emulating SRAM - that may be the case, but who's fault is that? Just because they fvcked up and did a SRAM does not mean that we customers can't Nelson Muntz them. They need to be pointed and laughed at.

Amateurs - they have had 4 years to answer the SRAM shot, and when we are all expecting fireworks, we get an anemic backfire.

@Nick - Yup, feel much better-er now. Better getting it out by yelling at clouds and you fools, then snapping at my family. I guess I've been trying to figure out the drivetrain for the new bike. Was pretty set on XTR and figured I may have to wait a bit for a driver, so use a cheap GX or similar in the short term....but then you find out no microspline driver, and the chain / chainring issues, no cranks etc. Still a small chance I will go XTR mechs with SRAM cassette and chain instead of full X01, but really what would that buy me at this point. Bit frustrating.
The only thing worth a Nelson Muntz is all the hysterics and teeth gnashing over Shimano doing literally the exact same thing SRAM did. How quickly people forget.

And regarding waiting 4 years to "catch up", maybe it's just me, but that's the same amount of time it took SRAM to catch up to Shimano with an electronic mtb grouppo. Who's really playing catch up?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
The only thing worth a Nelson Muntz is all the hysterics and teeth gnashing over Shimano doing literally the exact same thing SRAM did. How quickly people forget.

And regarding waiting 4 years to "catch up", maybe it's just me, but that's the same amount of time it took SRAM to catch up to Shimano with an electronic mtb grouppo. Who's really playing catch up?
Fanbois will be fanbois I guess

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Fanbois will be fanbois I guess
Nah, I don't have a vested interest in either brand. Just pointing out the silliness of being surprised that one company isn't licensing tech from another company, and being angry that they did literally the exact same thing when introducing a new driver. Do you guys really not remember? People lost their shit when xD was introduced.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Nah, I don't have a vested interest in either brand. Just pointing out the silliness of being surprised that one company isn't licensing tech from another company, and being angry that they did literally the exact same thing when introducing a new driver. Do you guys really not remember? People lost their shit when xD was introduced.
Yup, it's Google/Apple all over again, walled gardens all over the place...