Quantcast

Onza HO Ti Pedals...?

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
I haven't been around here in a long while (company cut back on Internet use) but I'm able to do a bit of 'surfing now. So I'm back!

On to my point: Knowing that I'm in the market for an affordable (less than $50) pair of clipless pedals, a co-worker just gave me his old pair of Onza HO Titanium pedals. He hasn't been on a bike in years and he just didn't like the feeling of being locked onto his bike, so the pedals are a bit scratched up, but for the most part just collected dust for years. Other than gumming up when muddy, he thought they were great pedals.

I know these pedals were the shiznit years ago (and way pricey) and parts are getting very scarce since Onza went belly-up, but how would they hold up nowadays? Should I throw these on my bike and give em a whirl or should I just throw them in the garbage?

Oh, and it's good to be back. Missed you :monkey: 's

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
I loved my Onza pedals, but I didn't know any better at the time. Now that I have used what is available today, I would never go back. I would use them if your budget wasn't ready for another purchase, but otherwise I would consider some new pedals

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
I rode on Onza’s for years. They were a good pedal at the time. A big problem with them is they seem just close enough to SPD’s to get you in trouble (locked in with no way out – don’t make that mistake). Adjusting the tension with elastomers is also a pain.

The price is right – give them a whirl and save up for eggbeaters :cool:

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
There's a good reason those Onza's aren't around anymore. The elastomer retention springs don't work well. I had some of those for about 2 months. When the weather warmed up even the stiffest elastomer wouldn't hold me in. Kinda sketchy to hop a log at speed and have one or both feet come out. These days it seems the pedals that work well have metal springs and are either spd style or time style. Spd includes all Shimano of course, Ritchey, Wellgo and others. Time style includes Eggbeaters and Time as the system is quite similar although the execution is different.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I used to get a lot of kicks out of watching my buddy fall over every time we stopped because he couldn't get out of those things. I don't remember ever reading one thing good about them, and my friends that used them hated them.

You should see if you can find some used Crank Bros - that would fall into your price range.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
To be honest, I haven't found the eggbeaters the easiest pedals in the world. I think he'd have an easier time learning on one of the versions with more of a platform, like the new Candy or Mallet.

The Time ATACS and Z pedals are also excellent, and canbe found fairly cheaply (especially older ATACS).