Quantcast

Opanda Exif (Nikon Users)

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
If you are wondering how many pictures your camera has taken please follow these instructions:

Steps to Check a Nikon Digital SLR Camera Shutter Count

1- Using your Nikon camera, take a picture in JPEG format. RAW formatted images won’t work with Opanda IExif.

2- Transfer that picture from your camera to your personal computer.

3- Download Opanda IExif. Double click the setup file to install it and click the Panda icon on the desktop to run it.

4- Select the “Open” menu icon. Choose the photo that you have taken before. Your picture will be shown on top left of the interface.

5- Select the “Summary” tab.

6- Scroll down until you reach the “MakerNote (Nikon)” section. Scroll down a little bit more until you find the “Total Number of Shutter Releases for Camera” attribute. A number will be shown next to this attribute. That my friend, is your Nikon Digital SLR shutter count.

FYI, you will only get your shutter count from an Unedited Picture, if you edited a pic (resized anything) it will not display the Shutter count....

i'm @ 6885 photos on my D300

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i just have my camera assign serial numbers to each image taken...it rolls over at 9999 but it's not too hard to figure out how many times that's happened.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
i just have my camera assign serial numbers to each image taken...it rolls over at 9999 but it's not too hard to figure out how many times that's happened.
That's default for all cameras but this gives you a fixed, easily identifiable way to check a camera's actuations - not just for you, but it's great for used equipment as well.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Doesn't work for Canon DSLR, Pentax P&S or Kodak P&S. I checked.
Right. I don't think any other brand actually tracks that figure in a user-accessible location. I know Canon at least has the capability to read your actuation count at the service centers but there's no accessible way.