Quantcast

open fire + meat = :drool:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Built this fire pit in my new backyard & just added a spit (kinks have been worked out) next up is figuring out a cool way to make the spit rotate. Any ideas?

I am thinking about trying a leg of goat...might have to have another part-tay soon.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
bike on a stand with a 11 tooth chainring and a 80t in the rear. :)

earn the burn
grab the bar for the char
i'll stop

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
any electric motor should do. how about an old garage door opener? a 440cu in v8 engine? a used up technics 1200? a can opener? a treadless mill? small children?

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
Nice...May I suggest just a good bed of coals? Actually cooking over an "open fire" can rapidly get out of hand and tends to char the outside and leave the inside undercooked. See if you can find some rotisserie prongs on line to keep your bird (or mutton) rotating with the spit.

If you don't use an old bicycle geared down to turn your kick ass creation I will be disappointed.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Nice...May I suggest just a good bed of coals? Actually cooking over an "open fire" can rapidly get out of hand and tends to char the outside and leave the inside undercooked. See if you can find some rotisserie prongs on line to keep your bird (or mutton) rotating with the spit.

If you don't use an old bicycle geared down to turn your kick ass creation I will be disappointed.
If I ever got left on an island and could only bring three things I would refuse 2 and just ask for you.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
You and him could write a rad bromance!
lol.

No mortar cuz it cant be permanent, plus the back walls reflect pretty good.

I hear ya on the hot coals. For my trial run I couldn't wait for my logs to burn down. I was getting ansy. :D

The bike seems like an awesome idea. I was thinking a hand crank but that would be lame.

...now where can I find a baby pig? :think:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I love how you took the chicken from Costco and stuck it on there for presentation. :patsak:

Nice work, TN. I'll bring a salad and beer.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Dude, you live in WISCONSIN.
Good point.
We were going to hit up the Dane Co. farmers market this weekend anyway. Maybe I can find a good source for a berkshire but it is prolly too late in the season for a baby. :think: