Quantcast

Opening weekend

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Archery opener was last weekend. Had 12 miles in on Saturday, chased some amazing animals I will likely never see again... Another 6 miles sunday, another few miles monday....... Lits and lots of animals out, was able to let ine arrow fly, but caught some unseen grass.....

Great weekend....

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Update, saw two deer, both does, both as they were bounding away. Turns out you can't stalk deer in the eastern woods like you would out West; its all about tree stands and ground blinds.

On the plus side, I did draw an elusive tag to hunt at the Reservation 5 minutes down the road. Either sex, archery only. There's a two week scouting period starting 11/1, but no cameras are allowed. Tree stands allowed, ground blinds are a nope. Might have to get a climber.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I was planning on heading up to VT for rifle this year (part of the point of getting one this summer), but covid might interrupt those travel plans.

Instead, I shall have to console myself with bow season in MA. Hopefully put something in the freezer this year.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
So this one is getting rebuilt after new years.

Going from a 270, to a 284 win with a 26 inch barrel..... A lot of other goodies, but a bad ass none the less when done

I was planning on heading up to VT for rifle this year (part of the point of getting one this summer), but covid might interrupt those travel plans.

Instead, I shall have to console myself with bow season in MA. Hopefully put something in the freezer this year.
Do it..... Best part is just getting outside

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Kinda my philosophy. Had exactly 0 looks opening weekend, but I spent a goodly amount of time watching the wildlife frolic, and making a game out of stalking my dad without him noticing. :D
Thats awesome .....

I blew it for archery.... But got out a lot.

Even this past Wednesday, it was an absolute blizzard, hiked in a mile before it hit, ended working back to the truck by gps as I could see about three feet..... Even though it was a cold day, got in the snow shoes after it calmed down and ended up with a good 14 miles in

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
20201114_075319_copy_477x1008.jpg

Spotted this dude while out scouting this past weekend. Hunt officially gets underway today, but work won't let me get out, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Sadly I haven't been able to acquire a tree stand, so ground hunting like a peon it is.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Spent 2 weeks shooting targets. Was feeling proficient. Nothing so far. Distance is good. Accuracy is way off.
Bow or gun?

I bought a few judo points and 2/5 arrows in my quiver are now sporting them. Its a blast just banging stumps and challenging my shooting skills while I'm in the woods.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
View attachment 152444

Spotted this dude while out scouting this past weekend. Hunt officially gets underway today, but work won't let me get out, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Sadly I haven't been able to acquire a tree stand, so ground hunting like a peon it is.
Ground hunting is my favorite. Takes a lot if patience, and control. Make sure everything gets scent treated, and UV treated. Youll be surprised how close you can get.

Just took another doe last week at 338 yards with a head shot ground hunting. Little bit of sneaking, more crawling dor perfect position, patience for her to cross the fence..... Boom and done.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Well, special permitted hunt is over. I ran out of daylight, within 25 yards of a couple of whitetails, with an open shot. Just didn't have enough confidence in my ability to make a clean shot in that light.

Year 2 archery in the books. No deer down, but oh so much closer.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Well, special permitted hunt is over. I ran out of daylight, within 25 yards of a couple of whitetails, with a clean shot. Just didn't have enough confidence in my ability to make a clean shot in that light.

Do you not have a Texas attorney to practice on?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Always better to wait if you are not 100% sure
Well, special permitted hunt is over. I ran out of daylight, within 25 yards of a couple of whitetails, with an open shot. Just didn't have enough confidence in my ability to make a clean shot in that light.