Quantcast

Opinion needed on wheels

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Gonna be building myself a set of Mavic Open pro's on Ultegra hubs. I am trying to keep the total weight down as much as possible without sacrificing wheel strength, so i am wanting to try lacing the front wheel 1x with 14/15 and rear 1x on the left, and 3x on the drive. 14/15 left and 14 drive. Was hoping to get some Input from some of the bigger riders and if they have run wheels laced either 1x or radial and how long they lasted and how they rode. I weigh 240 By the way, Either way i am using Double butted spoked except for the drive side, i am just curious if it is worth it on teh 1x lacing or if i should just go for the normal 3x. Any input is Helpfull

By the way the spokes are 11 mm shorter going 1x than 3x

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Hmmm. I can't really comment on if the build will hold up (I would guess it'd be okay), but how much weight does it save? I'd figure that if you're willing to run an Ultegra/Open Pro combo, you wouldn't mind a few extra grams in the spokes. I also don't see a reason not to just use DB spokes all around.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I've thought about being cute and lacing wheels 1x. But I just did 3x because I know how to lace it and these are just training wheels.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I would just do 3X in the rear on both sides with 2.0/1.8 (2.0/1.5Revos???). I'm using a front radial right now(28hole?) on my cross bike and so far it is holding up fine after a year -- sees mainly pavement with a few gravel roads and a little trail use.

I use to run a front 3X w/1.8/1.6 on the mountain bike with good success.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I'd agree with what everyone is saying in going 3x. Besides, the difference between radial and 3x is only about the weight of a spoke.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
put it this way, 1x means you've got to be cautious. 3x means you can bunny hop pot holes at 35mph :D

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Thank you very much for the input, BTW, i have been holding off on building these for about sixth months, started out at about 315 and knew at the weight i would just destroy anything i had, the Original alex wheels are pretty much dead now. Anyways thanks again, i will post later with what i decide and how they hold up

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
holy crap, you've lost 75 pounds in six months?! Outstanding!

PS: wheel weight is only a factor if you're stopping and starting a lot -and- you weigh like 150 pounds. Once the wheel is rolling, the rotational weight is rather irrelevant.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Ok Update, Front wheel is done. Tried the 1x and the Hub flange is just to small and binding the spokes too much, making it worthless. My other wheel builder suggested 2x but at that point i just started up 3x. Used the Revolution spokes, weighing in at 770 grams. The rotational difference is awesome, very little effort in turns now, love it, still waiting for my rear hub to arrive.