Quantcast

opinions about Roach/Raceface armor?

degoose

Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So Cal
I am going to get the roachleg guards, there pretty expensive tho, like 80 bucks! I think that they make awsome armor, but im not a hugh fan of there componat line.

bicycleman

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Carlsbad, CA
the straps brake off too easy, the are only single stitched and i have already broken 1 off after using them for a month.
but, they are the most comfortable ones around
also, when you buy these buy a size bigger than you would usually buy

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
They are the best leg armor in that price range, hands down. Ive tried the various 661's and Fox armor, and then got a pair of the Rally FR, and would not consider using anything else. In my opinion, they are the most comfortable, while breathing the best. Very easy to wash also.

Mine have lasted me a winter riding season, and a summer at Whistler, and a few wrecks, and on one of the legs, one of the loops that the straps go through, is on its last legs, as half the stitching is gone.

I will not hesitate to buy another pair, and will not even look at the competition.

Get the FR though. The DH, wraps around the enitre leg, and can become a pain.

Mugger

Monkey
Dec 16, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
My FR leggies have gone to hell and back. Have had them to almost 2 years maybe.

The stitching for the straps is getting rooted, time for newies I think.

Value for moeny for sure though, the knee bit is a bit too big though, i'm thinking of getting like maybe 661 knee pads to go under the knee pad.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I have the DH leg armor. Took them on the first ride today. No crashes yet, but the protection is amazing compared with the old 661 race lites. The only problem is they are a bit stiff. The 661's are more comfortable, but they also slip around too much/are too small to do any good. Dont know if the roaches will get better with age, but right now I wouldnt really want to pedal in them. they are fine for shuttling and dh though. huge knee pad, and the shin guard pretty much hits the top of my shoe.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I've had several other sets of leg and arm armor, 661 and numerous other brands. I was never happy until I got the Roach pads. They flat out rock, great fit and have saved me countless times. I have the DH version, and admit they are hotter than I would like because of the full wrap. When I break down and get another set of pads it will be the Rally Free Rides since they have an open back.