Quantcast

Opinions and Experience on Hone Cranks?

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Hey all. So the need has arrived for a set of new cranks/bb for the new playbike and I've got my eyes on the shimano Hones as the price is good.

My questions are, is this combo going to hold up to myself (200lbs, self proclaimed hack) for DJ and usual playbike duties? I'd like to try the outboard system so are these good?

Also, is it possible to run a BB clamping chain guide with the x-type system?

Cheers and thanks in advance!
a

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
to answer your question about the chainguide with the x-type system: yes, unless you get a 2006 e13 guide you will have to do some dremeling to make sure everything will fit but you will be able to run the guide with the bb. you will also have to pay close attention to the bb spacing so the system doesnt get messed up if you accidentally space it out too much or too little. i dont have any experience with hone cranks so ill let someone else fill you in on that.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I've been running the Hones with my steelhead (dj'er, trail, sk8pk bike) for a few months now with no problems. I'm 190.
They work great w/ my '05 E-13 SRS - no dremelling of anything to put it all together, but it did take a little experimenting w/ spacers to get them to fit right. Installation and removal of the cranks themselves is slick - no more crank puller. I'd get them again.

atrokz said:
Hey all. So the need has arrived for a set of new cranks/bb for the new playbike and I've got my eyes on the shimano Hones as the price is good.

My questions are, is this combo going to hold up to myself (200lbs, self proclaimed hack) for DJ and usual playbike duties? I'd like to try the outboard system so are these good?

Also, is it possible to run a BB clamping chain guide with the x-type system?

Cheers and thanks in advance!
a

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Ok, a little report some might find useful (seeing as the search function provided nothing that gets into details)

Got them in yesterday and built up the bike. They are easily the cleanest assembly I've tried thus far and they go together without a hitch. The two pinch bolts do have me partially concerned but I'll keep my eye on them for the ext few weeks until everything settles down.

As for the ride, well only a day worth of riding but initial impressions are that they are very stiff, and are light. I'm impressed thus far with the feel and quality of build so time will tell if they hold up or not. If they do I'll be very impressed as my weight and the purpose of this bike would usually garner something like a Holzfeller , Diaboulus or saint.

I'll post back after I get more riding and abuse onto it.

Cheers
A

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Idea is to keep this bike cheap (Hones are half the price) as possible without sacrificing too much, it's my 2nd bike and the DH bike is the one that gets the bling. Hones looked like they fit the bill so we'll see.

Oh, and I guess I'm not that big by American standards :P, 200lbs with boxxers and a T.