Quantcast

Opinions: FSA 19mm Titanium Spindle

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
I have the profile madera cranks with a 5 7/5" cro mo profile spindle.

I found a fsa titanium really cheap but it is listed as only 5 1/2 inches long. I am running the 5 3/4 inch profile spindle now.

Will I run into issues losing a 1/4 inch?

Any problems with the splines and tolerances between profile and fsa? I know the site says it works just looking for personal experience.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
I have had similar issues. Check out my thread on MTBR here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=4053461&posted=1#post4053461

The FSA Ti Spindle fits my Shadow cranks, but my shadow cranks do not fit a Profile Ti spindle. You may have similar issues.

As far as length, if you do not have enough spindle in each crank, then you can risk the wobbling a bit and wearing out. You have to measure them..

FSA is hollow throughout and the Profile is solid. PM me if you are interested in a Ti 6".

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
There shouldnt be a problem spline wise... but I have run into some hit or miss issues(profile-(old)deity).

Take your crank bolts out and see how much crank to spindle overlap you have on each side. If its half the crank boss or less, losing the 1/4 inch could cause an issue. If you take the bolts out and see the spindle almost at the outer edge of the crank arm boss then you'll be OK losing that 1/4 inch.

For what its worth, the profile ti spindles are really nice, the machining is top notch(I have one sitting on my desk 12 inches away from me). Ive set them up on lots of bikes. Ive never tried the FSA spindle....

Pesling

Chimp
Dec 7, 2007
Germany
taiwanese 19mm titanium axle is only for taiwanese cranks, cause they are a bit smaller than the american "19mm" (differences between both (metric/inch) systems) - i rode a deity crank with a fsa titanium axle - it didn't work, everytime bolts were loose... :(

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
When I measured my CrMo from Shadow against the Profile Ti, there was a difference in about 0.2mm in diameter. Does not seem like much, but it is enough to make it impossible to get on.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
taiwanese 19mm titanium axle is only for taiwanese cranks, cause they are a bit smaller than the american "19mm" (differences between both (metric/inch) systems) - i rode a deity crank with a fsa titanium axle - it didn't work, everytime bolts were loose... :(
hmm. it worked with my profile cranks no problem.

gackrider24

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
NJ
i think it will work as long as the 1/4 inch isn't an issue. I have run fsa crank arms (which explode after bunnyhops) on a profile spindle and my oddysey 41 thermals on the same profile spindle. 48 spline spindles generally fit 48 spline cranks as far as i know

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
i've had my fsa ti spindle on profiles and demolition cranks. both setups were great.

how many extra spacers are you running? maybe you can afford to lose a 1/4". got pics?

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Axis should be good to go on your bike. You can always buy two in case you feel like giving one away to me.

A gen Iv frame will be quicker weight loss.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
yeah, I've got both profile and FSA ti spindles.

that link Dirtbag posted up has some good conversation regarding this...

I've gone through several crank arms on my FSA ti, and it's worked great so far, but just recently developed some slop in the splines towards the ends after a few seasons and installs/reinstalls.
I ran some wethepeople royals w/ fsa ti. on my eastern26 for awhile, then just recently put them on a bmx this winter, until swapping out for some Macneil Conjoineds (on fsa ti) just a few weeks ago. Both work fine on the FSA, but I gotta say, on mine, the spline cutting seemed to taper out towards their inner edges and not go in as far as the profile, and using this with a Tree spline-drive sprocket is TOUGH! Near impossible to get the sprocket in far enough in my case, but I finally got it to work, but not 100% satisfactory.
But then again, I've had a similar problem with my profile ti spindle and the tree sprocket/medial cranks. It's just more noticeable on the FSA how the splines aren't cut very deep towards the inside....

On your molly, it all depends on how you set-up the spacers/how wide your sprocket/adapter is and how close you can get your pedal bosses to the chainstays. If you set it up right, you should have no problem getting enough crank arm on the skinny spindle, it's worked for me on my Molly.

but with all that said, I think now the best deals are just getting the "LT" versions of the new cranks (Torrid, Medial, Conjoined, Stolen, etc.). I can't believe they include ti spindles for like $20 extra over reg. prices. When you go to buy a separate ti spindle, the FSA is like 60+ and profile is typically 100+. I guess I should mention, the Demo Medials come with the best crank bolts I've seen too, nice size, nice quality, and they are hollow chromo, not the stock chromo bolts that come with other cranks, significantly lighter than other ones I've used.

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
Axis should be good to go on your bike. You can always buy two in case you feel like giving one away to me.

A gen Iv frame will be quicker weight loss.
I missed out on an ebay auction. The spindle was cheaper than wholesale even with shipping.

So I just sent you guys an email/order for a gen 4 molly.

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
FYI Leethal - I just bought one of the ti spindles on eBay AND there is one left. Cheaper than wholeslae even with shipping.

I just checked my crank/spindle overlap. I definetly won't have problems going from 5 3/4" to 5 1/5".