Quantcast

Opinions on Giant DH frame

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
Well the Giant DH frame will be here(at the shop) in a few days and I'm getting stoked to check it out! I'm just curious if anyone has ridden this frame and what their opinions are on it? I haven't seen any frames out there with a similar linkage design and this is making me a bit worried. Seems like most companies have at least the same linkage design as another. Just curious if the Giant DH frame is going to be something I'm going to like or if I should consider something else.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
do a search, a few people haev ridden 'em extensively. i've been more than happy w/ mine.

get a bashguard big enough to cover the links (e13 42T does the trick, but barely) and you shoudl be fine. mine's got some scores from rocks but the links are still working fine.

Lumpy_Gravy

Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
Originally posted by WARider
I haven't seen any frames out there with a similar linkage design and this is making me a bit worried. Seems like most companies have at least the same linkage design as another. Just curious if the Giant DH frame is going to be something I'm going to like or if I should consider something else.
Keewee has the same linkage design and so does ancllotti I think.

The Giant has been around for about 3 years now and is pretty much proven to work very well. The only issues I have heard about is that the swingarm is a little flexy (but it doesnt bother all those pro riders) the linkage may need loctting as it came loose on the 2003 frames.

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
Nice,

Thanks for all the replies, I think I'll be getting the bashguard to help prevent slamming my linkage into a rock. I'm stoked to see this bike, can't friggin wait!!!

DFoxracing

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Huntington beach
broke a 2002 frame, but the newer 2003 hasn't let me down yet. ya i hit the bottom of the linkage occasionally, but what is a few scratches? loctite works good. blackout time.
-input from the honorable dfox

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
2 of my buddy's ride 02's. Nothing but good things to say about them. If giant would do something to increase the standover height, I think they would sell more of them.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
Good riding bikes, but the ones I've checked out were surprisingly heavy. As in they were built up with lighter components ('02 Super Ts, Rhyno Lite rims, Maxxis tires and such), but still weighed in the high 40s. If you get a chance, weight just your frame. I'd like to know the weight.

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
My new steed comes with the following plus I'm swapping the front fork for a Dorado.
features Giant downhill race bike - Manitou Sherman Slider Plus and Manitou Swinger coil w/6 way adjust rear shock with 8.25" of travel, Hayes hydraulic disc brake and RaceFace DH crank with custom chainguide
color Black
frame ALUXX SL butted Aluminum DH-specific, single-pivot four-bar linkage, 8.25" travel
fork Manitou Sherman Slider Plus, 7" travel
derailleur Shimano XT
derailleurshifters Shimano XT
cranks RaceFace Evolve DH ISIS Splined, 42T
bottombracket ISIS Splined
chain guide Giant DH Chain Guide
pedals None
handlebar Easton EA70, 27.2
stem Easton Vice 31.8mm, 50mm
headset Pig DH Pro 1 1/8"
levers Hayes HFX-9 Hydraulic
brakes Hayes HFX-9 Hydraulic Disc, 8" rotors
saddle WTB Power V
seatpost Easton EA 50, 27.2
rims Sun Ringle Singletrack, 36H
hubs Front: Sun/Ringle ABBAH SOS DH 36H 20mm axle, Rear: Sun/Ringle ABBAH SOS DH 36H 12mm axle
tires Front: Michelin Wildgripper DH Comp 2.5, Rear: Michelin Wildgripper DH Comp 2.5
rearshock Manitou Swinger SPV coil w/6-way adjust, remote reservoir
cassette SRAM PG950 11-32T, 9-speed
spokes DT Stainless steel 14/15G butted

I'm guessing its going to be around the mid 40's, cant wait!

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
The Giant linkage is nothing new. Take a look at any monoshock motorcycle. Single pivots are stiff and simple, but tend to have a linear spring rate. The linkage is a way to dial in some progression to the spring rate.

Mar 27, 2004
baltimore and boulder
When I saw the first post I was about to ask what you were smoking buying the frame and not just getting the complete DH comp, considering Giant wants alsot as much for the frame as they do for the bike at EP. I ordered a comp but its not coming so now Im getting a team, hopefully next week. I will post the weightonce I get on some maxxis, times, and a light seat. Im hoping it will be 42ish but that may be optimisitic.

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
Yeah my friend and I supposively got the last two 18" comps from Giant stateside. I'm sure they'll make more but for now, it's either a 16" or a team for others.

The bike is unbelievable! We took them out for a quick ride two days ago and I couldn't believe how solid it felt! I did swap the front sherman + for a dorado but I was pretty impressed with the sherman as well.

I even got a little carried away because I was so stoked on the bike and ended up busting a 15 foot gap to face plant. Luckily the ground was super soft, otherwise it would of been a trip to the hospital for a broken nose.

:rolleyes:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by Fulton
2 of my buddy's ride 02's. Nothing but good things to say about them. If giant would do something to increase the standover height, I think they would sell more of them.
Are you making a funny?

Or are you trying to say they should lower the standover height (ie increase teh stand over clearance)?

:) I just can't figure out if you were joking. lol I have short legs and the Med had me crotching it when I tried Freaks Giant a couple years ago. :o: I stand 5'11 but I have a 29" inseam. Damn Norwegian/Swedish heritage!

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i agree that the standover is on the tall side; i like the standover of the small, but need the length of the large, which is massive. its not like dh racers need leg extension; this design could fascilitate a very compact design, i'm not sure why they went with xc proportions... if you could hacksaw the toptube/seatube & bend it down about 4" it'd be perfect

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
Yes it is a bit tall, especially for a 5 foot 8 inch dude like myself. My chestnuts rest on the bar like two shoes hanging from their laces over a power line ;) However, I've noticed a trend in alot of the DH bikes for being like this. My '04 Norco A-line (Small) had this same standover problem. I think a design for the top tube like the Norco Six is ideal for aleviating future nut cracking problems should be standard. However we are riding 8 inches of travel front and back on these bikes, I bet if there was a 6 inch fork on it we would be aight.

In any case, I went with the 18 " because I like the larger wheelbase and fell too. My A-line was too cramped in a size small.

Too tall, yes, awesome bike, NO Doubt!

Stinky_Rider

Chimp
Jan 11, 2004
Nice to here the good stuff about these frames. I'm thinking of getting one, whats the cost of the dh team frame('04) and the complete dh team (w/ slider or dorado), down in the US? I'm 5'8" do alot of freeriding so I guess the 16.5" is ok, anyone know where I can find some geometry specs on the giants?

Thanks,
Chris

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
Chris,

The frame I picked up was a medium, 18.5. I really like the frame but it's just too much bike for our local area so I'm going to be selling it. It rides real nice and if I lived next to Whistler or Tahoe I'd be keeping it however most of the local riding we do is pedal to the top. I'm going to be picking up a Transition frame as you can run a front derailluer on it. If your interested in a month old Giant DH Comp(the black one with chrome detailing) I'm selling mine on ebay right now. THe frames retail for $1699.99 but I'm starting the bidding off at $999.99. Great bike, just can't afford to have two bikes on my budget right now.

~Josh

bizirka

Chimp
Apr 18, 2004
yeah my friend has one and the bolts when to ****, other wise he loved it? And there is a wicked angle on the chain. depends how much you weigh?

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Stinky_Rider said:
whats the cost of the dh team frame('04) and the complete dh team (w/ slider or dorado), down in the US?

Chris

As already mentioned, the retail cost of the DH frame only is 1700, the complete DH team is 5500. The comp is 3200. I work at a Giant dealer and have a brand new DH team in medium (I am also 5' 8''). I raced snowshoe on it this weekend and performed very well although I did not. The only probelm you will have with the compltet bikes is you will have to find one in stock somewhere unless you want to wait till september, I got one of the last 4 teams and comps were already sold out as of two weeks ago. I was goign to buy the comp but they were out. I would recommend the comp since you get the exact same frame and shock, plus a fork that is lighter and still has spv, and the drivetrian and wheels are easily replaceable items anyway. I am happy with my team but it would have been nice to save a couple grand.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
go-ride.com said:
Good riding bikes, but the ones I've checked out were surprisingly heavy. As in they were built up with lighter components ('02 Super Ts, Rhyno Lite rims, Maxxis tires and such), but still weighed in the high 40s. If you get a chance, weight just your frame. I'd like to know the weight.
Sorry dont have a frame weight for you but my bike weighes a hair under 43. I was hoping for a little lighter with the parts I have (Team+ maxxis tires, light seat, wellgo WAM B1 pedals, ultegra cassette). With 521 rims the wight would come down another pound or two, but beyond that theres not much else I can do, hopes or a carbon bar would save a tad, but not worth the money.

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
TheInedibleHulk said:
I was goign to buy the comp but they were out. I would recommend the comp since you get the exact same frame and shock, plus a fork that is lighter and still has spv, and the drivetrian and wheels are easily replaceable items anyway.
Haha yeah baby... I too work for a Giant dealer and my friend and I got the last two Giant DH comps in a size medium(18.5). I like the bike, it just feels under sprung and Manitou only makes a max of 550lb spring for their shocks. I also don't like the fact that I can't run a front der. but that's personal preference. The bike is sick, for sure, but I don't like riding a VT on the stuff I want to pedal my DH too...

Mar 24, 2004
Ellensburg, WA
Hey, I just recieved my '04 Team DH frame from Giant and before I swapped the parts from my warrantied '02 I weighed it for all you who were curious. The frame, rear shock, and rear axle weigh just a hair over 12Lbs. The complete bike with an '02 Boxxer, 321's, Stans, etc. weighs 42 lbs. Not too shabby if you ask me. BTW- the Swinger shock makes it feel like a totally different bike. Vast improvement over the Pro Deluxe of old.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
WARider said:
Haha yeah baby... I too work for a Giant dealer and my friend and I got the last two Giant DH comps in a size medium(18.5). I like the bike, it just feels under sprung and Manitou only makes a max of 550lb spring for their shocks. I also don't like the fact that I can't run a front der. but that's personal preference. The bike is sick, for sure, but I don't like riding a VT on the stuff I want to pedal my DH too...

Man you got my bike! I actaully ordered the bike two months ago now but the first one giant sent got damaged in shipping so they had us send it back. Then I got a call like two weeks later to say they were all out until september and the dented bike had already been stripped for warranty parts. Apparently our inside rep dropped the ball as he was supposed to set aside a comp for me (probably one of your bikes), but didnt. No hard feelings though, thanks to the team a couple people at snowshoe asked me if I rode for giant last weekend.

harobloke

Chimp
Feb 7, 2003
Another dimension
Does anyone who own's an 04 DH Comp have the Swinger rear shock with the remote reservoir mounted to the down tube? If so, how is it mounted? Brackets, clamps, bolts, screws? Pics would be great.
I am looking up upgrading my swinger from my 03 frame to the new one where I can get to the settings without taking it out. With the remote reservoir on the down tube you can I think.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Yes it does, sorry I cant show you a pic, but the resovoir mounts to the frame via two bolts threading into a braze on on the frame. If you have seen a DH Team its exactly the same. So far I have been pretty happy with my swinger. Although occasionally the rear end does something I dont like, which is surely a result of my poor tuning rather the shock.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
I went to a local bike shop to order a 600lb spring for my Swinger (as Manitou had recommended) and they said that Manitou only makes up to 550lb springs. Maybe it's a typo in a catalog or something making some people thing that but I called up Manitou directly and they sent me a 600lb spring which I currently have installed on my bike.

Give them a call if you need a heavier spring.

WARider said:

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
crashing_sux said:
I went to a local bike shop to order a 600lb spring for my Swinger (as Manitou had recommended) and they said that Manitou only makes up to 550lb springs. Maybe it's a typo in a catalog or something making some people thing that but I called up Manitou directly and they sent me a 600lb spring which I currently have installed on my bike.

Give them a call if you need a heavier spring.
You are right on in a sense. They stock the heavier springs for certain size shocks, as far as my 9 i2i x 2.75 swinger with remote resevoir, they only stock up to a 550lb coil. I work at a shop and I talk to this guy Taylor at least a few times a week and I'm always picking his brain about all the parts and what not. If they had made a stiffer rear spring, my shock would be fricken killa Cali Kicken, and that's fo sho sun. ;)