Quantcast

opinions on Kenda Klaw

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Anyone run this? I'd probably try running the front Klaw tread pattern in both the front and the back for extra lateral traction. Looking for a tire with enough lateral traction to hold up to slippery/wet off camber roots/rocks, but enough grip to dig though the mud and stick on the hardpack.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
jacksonpt said:
Anyone run this? I'd probably try running the front Klaw tread pattern in both the front and the back for extra lateral traction. Looking for a tire with enough lateral traction to hold up to slippery/wet off camber roots/rocks, but enough grip to dig though the mud and stick on the hardpack.
Jackson, your trails are like ours except rockier. Have you checked out IRC Mythos XC tires. The back tire specifically works awesome. It climbs well, sheds mud well, not that slow in hardpack, and has good side knobs for off-camber stuff. More importantly it is usually pretty cheap. My other favorite tire for our conditions is the Continental Vertical Pro. It works good as both front and rear tire......jdcamb

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've ridden the Mythos - not all that impressed with them, though I only rode them for about 10 minutes on a buddy's bike. The Vertical Pros look interesting - and light for a 2.3 it seems. Do they run small/big? I'll have to look into them.

Thanks.

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Hey Jackson. My (permanent) home is in Susquehanna, PA, right by Binghamton. I've always liked the Mythos XC for the trail conditions in that area (Jenksville, OC, Chenango). Now if they made them in about a 2.3 with a thicker sidewall, they'd be perfect for Merli.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Nate at RIT said:
Hey Jackson. My (permanent) home is in Susquehanna, PA, right by Binghamton. I've always liked the Mythos XC for the trail conditions in that area (Jenksville, OC, Chenango). Now if they made them in about a 2.3 with a thicker sidewall, they'd be perfect for Merli.
Cool, thanks - Oakley is where I do most of my riding. Maybe I'll give the Mythos a try.

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Think I used to use the 2.1s when I lived there. They're a good all around conditions tire that doesn't flat too much, and they're predictable in the loose soil. It's hard to find a really good tire for the types of conditions in that area, just too many variables.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
jacksonpt said:
The Vertical Pros look interesting - and light for a 2.3 it seems. Do they run small/big?
Small. Mine was labeled 2.3 but measured 2.1 - I used it for exactly one ride and sold it.

I'm unimpressed by the rear Klaw. I've been running one for a few weeks and it doesn't have the climbing traction I like when out of the saddle. Rubber compound seems pretty hard too.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
the only experience that i have with the klaw is the 29er version. works pretty good here in socal- tractor-tyre style tread works good. too bad there isnt a 29er version of the velociraptor rear.

oh- should add that conditions around here are dry, dusty and lose some of the time.

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
Personally, I love my Klaws. They just seem to work well for my particular riding style - they've performed flawlessly for me in wet mucky conditions, rocky rooty stuff, and dry dusty hardpack. They seem to be the ideal all-around tire for me. I've found them to be exceptionally good traction-wise when I corner and climb, although I do have more of a "pedal masher" technique and use a bigger gear instead of having a good smooth spin.