Quantcast

Opinions on platforms

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
I'm finally rich enough to afford switching out my stock platforms on my bighit. I've been looking at some SPD platfrom/clipless pedals because I don't like loosing the pedals when I jump, but everyone seems to find better results with a pair of cranks50/50's or whatever.

With that said, can any recommend a good platform that keeps ones bike under them?:imstupid:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Yeah, everybody loves the 5-10's. I say that the shoes or rather the rubber on them is almost if not more important than the pedal. I've had good luck with Etnies. If want the option of clips and platforms look at getting a pair of Mallets.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I have had good luck with Nike 6.0 Air Mogans. Great sole! For clipless, get the Shimano M545 I believe it is called. Good pedal, good platform if you want to run SPD.

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
I have all shimano clipless pedals on three of my bikes, and I hate them. They're always getting packed with mud, inconsistant ins/outs. They do take some pretty brutal abuse though, I have to give them that. If you'll be dirt jumping, you would probably be better off with a good flat pedal and good skate style shoes.

Jan 18, 2006
Mallet pedals from Crank Bros. work extremely well. They offer a quick secure engagement and are easy to use in muddy conditions, they are really easy to pop out of when needed in turns and scary situations. I tend to go back and forth from flats to clips. I have used clips on flatter pedally courses such as Wisp and Sea Otter. I use flats when I get scared of getting tossed on some gnarly course. Whichever brand you decide to try you will develop a confidence with them and will find benefits that will suit your riding style.
When using flats the Stealth rubber that can be found on 5.10's is pretty damn impressive they are certainly worth the price. Let us know what you decide.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I'm really just starting out on flats. It's like learning to ride all over again. I have some Kona Jack Sh!t pedals and am looking for some good shoes to go with them. I definitely have my eye on the 5.10's.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Hey all,

Thanks for the responses. I picked up a pair of the crankbrother 50/50's to try and give platforms another shot. If those don't work, I think I might go with a pair of the eggbeaters. Hopefully the shed's going to be decent this weekend. I want to try these out on Trail 6.

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
After 3 years of DH/FR on Clipless (with the Atomlab Quicksteps), I'm going to go with platforms this year. I've ordered the 5-10's and a set of Wellgo MG-1 pedals.

Seriously I think you should get the 5-10's if you're planning to use platforms.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
i've been using 5-10s now for 3 years and love them. it really doesn't matter what platform pedal you run... as long as they have long pins and i prefer pedals with threaded pins.

these shoes rock! i wear them for every type of riding and the soles/shoes last a few years of hard abuse.

[Tha]Shovla

Monkey
Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow
Yeah for clipless pedals go Times like Dave said, they are indestructable and worry free.

As for flat pedals. its not the pedals so much as pins and shoes. Use replaceable screws with hollow tops for pins, not the shiny triangular ones. and Buy 5-10 impact shoes and you will never have a problem. I run Specialized, 50/50 and transition pedals and the only way i can tell the difference is when i change the sheos from 5-10 to 661

Josh