Quantcast

opinions on Salsa Campeon?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Any useful options on this bike? (clicky)

My Jamis hasn't felt right since my run in with a car last summer. It's creaks and pops under strain (more like frame flex than typical creaking of a seatpost or BB).

I have a little extra money right now and have been looking at frames. If I settle on something (and that's a big if), I'll move all the parts from my Jamis over to the new frame.

As a side note, Surly Pacer is the only other frame in the running at this point.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I've got one and like it. It's an '06 before they went to the more compact sloping geometry. Mine is a 61 (maybe a 60) built with a mix of Force & Rival, Ritchey bar, Syntace stem, EC90 post & fork, Keos, alloy cages and Ksyrium SLs setup tubeless it comes in around 18 lbs. It's comfortable enough for centuries up around the lakes, climbs well but does have a little BB flex when sprinting. The tubeless ride quality definitely took a bit of the edge off from an otherwise pretty rigid ride.

I just built up an '08 for Stan with full Sram Red, EC90 bar, post and fork as well as some other light bits and it came in at 14lbs for what they call a 47 now (fits like a 52). He's only got one ride on it so far but seems to like it.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll try to help.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Jackson - I would think there would be a significant weight difference between the Pacer and the Campeon

Are you looking for comfort or are you looking for lightweight/performance?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Weight doesn't concern me... just looking for a solid ride. I realize they are different classes of frames. I like the salsa, but the price on the surly is too good not to consider it.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Well the Pacer would allow you to run all sorts of different tire sizes depending on conditions/time of year etc. etc. - so that might be a plus going for it.