Quantcast

Opinions on the hurricane relief effort

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I swear Brown is as dumb as a stump

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,168269,00.html

Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Michael Brown called for patience in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

"Response operations are being conducted over a disaster area of nearly 90,000 square miles — the biggest single disaster response in our nation's history. This is a catastrophic event, and it takes time to get assets to victims over this large area," said Brown. "We ask for patience from individuals who may be uncomfortable but are safe while we conduct search and rescue efforts for those who are stranded and without commodities."
Why even bother saying that? He might as well told them "Suck it up Princess." Its too blanket a statement and going to do nothing but piss people off. Cut the bold off and list this is what we are doing and shut the hell up.

There are some quotes from the mayor ripping on everyone. Which at this point seems to be the only thing he can do.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
DRB said:
I swear Brown is as dumb as a stump

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,168269,00.html

Why even bother saying that? He might as well told them "Suck it up Princess." Its too blanket a statement and going to do nothing but piss people off. Cut the bold off and list this is what we are doing and shut the hell up.

There are some quotes from the mayor ripping on everyone. Which at this point seems to be the only thing he can do.

I agree... Brown needs to be sacked now!

The mayor of New Orleans is equally inept as well... cracks me up that everyone wants to blame Bush for this when New Orleans is a democrat run city and has been for decades.

Democrats have always used New Orleans to get their canidates elected by promising the city's poor all kinds of things and not delivering on any of it if they voted for their canidate.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
N8 said:

The mayor of New Orleans is equally inept as well... cracks me up that everyone wants to blame Bush for this when New Orleans is a democrat run city and has been for decades.

Democrats have always used New Orleans to get their canidates elected by promising the city's poor all kinds of things and not delivering on any of it if they voted for their canidate.
ANY mayor would be completely outgunned by this situation. He is completely dependent on outside help, which he is not getting.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
DRB said:
ANY mayor would be completely outgunned by this situation. He is completely dependent on outside help, which he is not getting.

The whole situation is a mess. It's a huge freeking debacle that's for sure.

There was NO PLAN for this situation even though everyone knew it was a real possibility. That's the part that amazes me. Various people have been sounding the alarm that this was going to happen for the last 40+ years and yet NO ONE within the city/state governement too heed. There was no drills, no evacuation plan, no post hurricane relief plan, NOTHING!

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
N8 said:
The whole situation is a mess. It's a huge freeking debacle that's for sure.

There was NO PLAN for this situation even though everyone knew it was a real possibility. That's the part that amazes me. Various people have been sounding the alarm that this was going to happen for the last 40+ years and yet NO ONE within the city/state governement too heed. There was no drills, no evacuation plan, no post hurricane relief plan, NOTHING!
Did you see that your man W cut funding for levee improvements last year? Leave it to Shrub.....

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
BeerDemon said:
Did you see that your man W cut funding for levee improvements last year? Leave it to Shrub.....

Army Corps projects that if funded last year would be completed 10 years from now..??? Those projects?

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
N8 said:
Army Corps projects that if funded last year would be completed 10 years from now..??? Those projects?
Didn't say it would have averted disaster. But you are Mr. "someone should have done something". There was at least some work going on before Shrub has to cut the funds to fun Operation "**** up the entire world to line the pockets of my oil buddies".

powderboy

Monkey
Jan 16, 2002
See Dar Hills, OOTah
Yes, the Mayor of NO has been outgunned, and yes, FEMA seems to have been slow to react, but they ARE reacting. What I would like to know is what the Governor of Loisiana has been doing this whole time? I mean, they are in charge of their state. Granted, the Federal Government will always step in to react to major emergencies, but the first line of defense is the local and state government.

What I see is an completely inept Mayor and Governor of New Orleans and the state of Loisiana.

Don't they have their own National Guard? Don't they have the muster to plan ahead as a state that inevitably WILL be hit by hurricaines? Don't they have the gumption to actually plan for these kinds of things and providing relief to their own citizens?

Though FEMA is supposed to react to situations like this (and they did), there's absolutely NO WAY that the Federal Government can possibly react as quickly as the local and state governments SHOULD REACT.

This entire situation is heartbreaking, but I feel the initial response (2-3 days) should ALWAYS be the responsibility of the local, state and nearby state governments because FEMA won't be there for at least 5-7 days. It's just impossible for them to get their butts in gear that quickly. I will say that FEMA does need to be able to react faster, but I stand by my belief that the governor of Loisiana and surrounding states are the most at fault for the lack of efforts in the first few days after this terrible tragedy.

The state of Loisiana should have their own 24-48 hour emeregency relief plans in place at all times because it was only a matter of time that something like this would happen.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
powderboy said:
Yes, the Mayor of NO has been outgunned, and yes, FEMA seems to have been slow to react, but they ARE reacting. What I would like to know is what the Governor of Loisiana has been doing this whole time? I mean, they are in charge of their state. Granted, the Federal Government will always step in to react to major emergencies, but the first line of defense is the local and state government.

What I see is an completely inept Mayor and Governor of New Orleans and the state of Loisiana.

Don't they have their own National Guard? Don't they have the muster to plan ahead as a state that inevitably WILL be hit by hurricaines? Don't they have the gumption to actually plan for these kinds of things and providing relief to their own citizens?

Though FEMA is supposed to react to situations like this (and they did), there's absolutely NO WAY that the Federal Government can possibly react as quickly as the local and state governments SHOULD REACT.

This entire situation is heartbreaking, but I feel the initial response (2-3 days) should ALWAYS be the responsibility of the local, state and nearby state governments because FEMA won't be there for at least 5-7 days. It's just impossible for them to get their buts in gear that quickly. I will say that FEMA does need to be able to react faster, but I stand by my belief that the governor of Loisiana and surrounding states are the most at fault for the lack of efforts in the first few days after this terrible tragedy.
Simple. The scale of the disaster is far greater than any one states available resources. What's hard to understand about that?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
powderboy said:

This entire situation is heartbreaking, but I feel the initial response (2-3 days) should ALWAYS be the responsibility of the local, state and nearby state governments because FEMA won't be there for at least 5-7 days. It's just impossible for them to get their buts in gear that quickly. I will say that FEMA does need to be able to react faster, but I stand by my belief that the governor of Loisiana and surrounding states are the most at fault for the lack of efforts in the first few days after this terrible tragedy.

It's so much easier, trendy and doesn't take a brain to 'blame Bush' though..

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I just listened the the Mayor Interview that everyone is citing. It is available streaming on CNN. Pretty freaking heartbreaking.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Bush is already backpedaling and saying they have not done enough.

He was busy talking to his money buds about who gets the contracts to rebuild. :monkey:

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
People blaming the mayor is pretty damn funny. What the hell is the mayor of a completely destroyed city going to do? Rally the police?

powderboy

Monkey
Jan 16, 2002
See Dar Hills, OOTah
BeerDemon said:
Simple. The scale of the disaster is far greater than any one states available resources. What's hard to understand about that?
There are several major metro areas outside of New Orleans that could've provided direct relief... why does the relief have to come from DC when it could come from Houston, Baton Rouge or other metro areas with plenty of resources to help? I mean, Baton Rouge is big enough with enough people and resources that they should have been called on to help out at the drop of a hat.

Do the people from Baton Rouge and New Orleans hate each other or something? I don't get it.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
Squeak said:
Bush is already backpedaling and saying they have not done enough.

He was busy talking to his money buds about who gets the contracts to rebuild. :monkey:
It was so nice of Shrub to end his vacation early and fly out to Orleans a couple days later. For cripes sake, what happened to getting the lead out and busting ass to get something done? I wonder if Shrub sat there dumbfounded for an hour when told the city was in trouble like he did during 9/11.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
powderboy said:
There are several major metro areas outside of New Orleans that could've provided direct relief... why does the relief have to come from DC when it could come from Houston, Baton Rouge or other metro areas with plenty of resources to help? I mean, Baton Rouge is big enough with enough people and resources that they should have been called on to help out at the drop of a hat.

Do the people from Baton Rouge and New Orleans hate each other or something? I don't get it.
I think you need to reasearch the situation more before forming opinions.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
If Salt Lake City was totally destroyed, would it be Logan coming down to save your asses? No? Logan doesn't have the resources to save the entire SLC populace? Imagine that....

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Oh yea, not to play a race card here but...

What if the people stranded at the Superdome were rich white folks instead of a majority of minority and elderly?

They would have had 100 blackhawks there the next day droppin supplies and giving rides. Guarenteed.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
powderboy said:

Exactly what resources are you talking about that these other metro areas have, that they didn't already provided.

This thing was so big it was only the federal government that had the resources to even get started with it.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
N8 said:

What are you? Minister of propaganda???

The issue of the poor and black community has nothing to do with democrats or republicans, but a much more complex social issue that I don't think anyone can can really grasp.

There were steps taken to prevent what had happen. I remember hearing something about a leevy system, water pumps, madatory evecuation, and the use of the Superdome as an emergency shelter. For a city with no written contingency plan I think that is a hell of a commendable job. Do you really think that in a city with so many people below the poverty line that you could realistically construct a plan of action that could be rehearsed or work notably better?

How can you post about how people are ignoring the good things that we are doing in Iraq, but when it comes to this RELIEF EFFORT (yes that is what the subject is if you may have forgotten) you post about completely different subjects, the past, democrats (which I'm not), and about everything else except the federal government.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
powderboy said:

What was Baton Rouge going to do? They do not have fleets of Helicopters, or Armed Gaurdsmen to protect drop shipments of food water, or protect anything if they ran in there with school buses.

This is a huge undertaking.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
powderboy said:

Baton Rouge's population has doubled and it is largly with out any electricity there....

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Inclag said:
For a city with no written contingency plan I think that is a hell of a commendable job. Do you really think that in a city with so many people below the poverty line that you could realistically construct a plan of action that could be rehearsed or work notably better?
No contegency plan? Where did you see that?

powderboy

Monkey
Jan 16, 2002
See Dar Hills, OOTah
BeerDemon said:
I think you need to reasearch the situation more before forming opinions.
You're probably right... I don't know the area at all, but it seems outright childish that there is no contingency plan in place by a state in direct line of fire from major hurricaines. It is overwhelming to think of a city the size of New Orleans completely destroyed, but the majority of the people left the city. There's only what, a hundred thousand people in the city, max at the time of the hurricaine?

With no bridges, no roads and no way to get them out, I'd think that the Loisiana National Guard should have some Chinook helicopters to drop supplies to the Superdome in a matter of a day. I think the shame falls on Loisiana AND the national government, but it's not all Bush's fault like everyone feels so inclined to believe.

States have their own autonomy and are in charge of their own first response emergency plans.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
DRB said:
No contegency plan? Where did you see that?
It was in response to N8's expertise.

N8 said:
I know, I should probably research and formulate my own opinion with regard to anything he posts. If there was one, my bad. :dancing:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Squeak said:
Oh yea, not to play a race card here but...

What if the people stranded at the Superdome were rich white folks instead of a majority of minority and elderly?

They would have had 100 blackhawks there the next day droppin supplies and giving rides. Guarenteed.
I think that goes without saying mate. But on the plus side it gives reporters the oppurtunity to use fatuous sound-bites like "like the streets of Somalia" and "scenes reminiscent of the 3rd World" :rolleyes:

powderboy

Monkey
Jan 16, 2002
See Dar Hills, OOTah
A friend just forwarded me a transcript from a PBS program that interviewed a Hurricaine expert about the inevitability of this type of storm to hit NO. This was in 2002:

http://www.pbs.org/now/transcript/transcript_neworleans.html

Sad to see his predictions come true...

The big bummer is that I'm sure that they have had many contingency plans presented to save New Orleans in case of an emergency like this one, but I'm sure, like any state government, the environmentalists stepped in, then the ACLU stepped in, then the "save the dodo" people stepped in, created a boondogle, wasted tax money and then nothing happened. That's just a guess, but if the LA state gov't is anything like every other state gov't in the US, then I'm sure it's a fair assesment of what may have happened.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
powderboy said:
The big bummer is that I'm sure that they have had many contingency plans presented to save New Orleans in case of an emergency like this one, but I'm sure, like any state government, the environmentalists stepped in, then the ACLU stepped in, then the "save the dodo" people stepped in, created a boondogle, wasted tax money and then nothing happened.
I don't think you have even the slightest grasp of what a contingency plan for this type of disaster would require.
You could easily have a small town nearby that did nothing but wait for it to happen. Any idea how much that would cost?

powderboy

Monkey
Jan 16, 2002
See Dar Hills, OOTah
D_D said:
I don't think you have even the slightest grasp of what a contingency plan for this type of disaster would require.
You could easily have a small town nearby that did nothing but wait for it to happen. Any idea how much that would cost?
Several millions, but well worth it to save human lives. Well worth it!

No plan is a plan for what we are seeing right now. If one life is saved, all those millions would be well spent I say.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
This is the guy who needs be be incharge...

Army Lt. Gen. Russel Honore. "Worse things have happened to America," he added. "We're going to overcome this, too. It's not our fault. The storm came and flooded the city."

With a cigar-chomping general in the convoy's lead vehicle, the trucks rolled through muddy water up to their axles to reach the convention center, where 15,000 to 20,000 hungry and desperate refugees had taken shelter — many of them seething with anger so intense that it seemed ready to erupt in violence at any moment.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
DRB said:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/02/katrina.response/index.html

He just keeps getting better. Seriously read the whole thing.
Good ****ing god. I couldn't read the whole thing. Every quote from that man makes me want to vomit.

Usually in an urgent situation, someone steps in to act as leader, be the champion, whether it's their official position or not because they can't sit by and watch... where is that person right now? The complete vacuum of leadership up and down the chain of our government has never been so apparent.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
N8 said:
This is the guy who needs be be incharge...

I hope his actions speak louder than his words. If I see one more quote about it's not our fault, or grand but general phrases about us "getting through this" I'm putting a chair through a window. I don't care how or why we got here. We'll let the historians and the politicians fight over that later. Tell us exactly how you're going to fix the problem and then GO ****ING DO IT.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
ohio said:
I hope his actions speak louder than his words. If I see one more quote about it's not our fault, or grand but general phrases about us "getting through this" I'm putting a chair through a window. I don't care how or why we got here. We'll let the historians and the politicians fight over that later. Tell us exactly how you're going to fix the problem and then GO ****ING DO IT.
Looks like he is!

NAGIN: I said, "I need everything."

Now, I will tell you this -- and I give the president some credit on this -- he sent one John Wayne dude down here that can get some stuff done, and his name is [Lt.] Gen. [Russel] Honore.

And he came off the doggone chopper, and he started cussing and people started moving. And he's getting some stuff done.

They ought to give that guy -- if they don't want to give it to me, give him full authority to get the job done, and we can save some people.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/02/nagin.transcript/index.html