Quantcast

Opinions wanted: 2010 Demo 8, 2010 Giant Glory, 2009 Wilson, or 2010 Session 88 ???

MetalMayhem

Chimp
May 17, 2008
east coast
Any body have these bikes and are willing to share opinions/review of them? I'm in the market for a new (but used) DH rig and have found these bikes for sale.

--2010 Demo 8 I - Boxxer race, DHX 4.0, DT Swiss F550 rims (pretty much stock, the black/white version)

--2010 Giant Glory, with Boxxer team. nicer fork that the Demo, however the geometry is more upright, not as long/low as the Demo...

--2009 Devinci Wilson - Has a Boxxer world cup, DHX 5.0, Avid Codes. I really like the spec on this (mostly the Boxxer WC) and I've heard ok things about the frame?) and only 39 lbs

--2010 Trek Session 88 - Boxxer WC, vivid 5.1. I've heard mixed things about this bike, but the fork/shock sound good. Not sure about Geometry?

So what are people's opinions on theses bikes? I'm looking for a race rig that's light, at least under 40, and can't find the weight for these bikes besides for the Devinci. These bikes I'm looking at are all selling for around $2700-$2800. I know that the geo is super low on the Demo, and similar on the Devinci. The Glory and Session are taller, but should still be very capable for Dh? Reviews/comparisons? Also, is it worth it trying to get a bike with the world cup over the boxxer race or team? The boxxer is a great fork, but is there a huge difference between the race (like the Demo) or the WC (like the devinci or the Session) ?

Thanks a lot in advance, I really appreciate your help.

(I am open to considering other bikes, this is just what I have found so far for good prices **EDIT: I am 5'9" or 5'10" so I am most likely going to need a Medium frame.)

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Doesn't look like you can go wrong with any of them, although I don't know what mixed things you've heard about the session. It has a great shock rate, and very comfortable DH geometry. Its a great bike, I'd love to keep mine, but I don't get to ride DH anymore and so I'm getting a smaller bike. Honestly though, they're all top notch bikes and you can't go wrong with any of them.

The only thing that you should sway yourself towards is that the boxxer race is a very inferior fork to the boxxer team or WC. Unless your planning on getting the avy upgrade, I'd steer clear of it.

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
I love my Demo 8 I that I bought last year. Didn't weigh it stock but I had mine sub 38lbs with ex721 wheelset and Elka shock.

It's low.. much lower than the Bullit I previously rode, but you get used to it,

I found its a bike that the faster you ride it the better it feels. I enjoyed riding it at my local hill, but when I went to Mont Ste Anne with it thats when it really came alive for me.
Overall its a great feeling bike, confidence inspiring, will definitely help you out when you get in over your head and all that...

As far as the fork goes have you considered any bike with a 2010 Race and upgrading the damper? Theres so many options out there now it might be worthwhile to get a big boost in fork performance

MetalMayhem

Chimp
May 17, 2008
east coast
That looks good, but unfortunately I need at least a medium.

I don't know anything about the 2011 boxxers, but I know someone who would give me a great deal on a new 2011 boxxer RC from his 2011 demo 8 I. Would that be a upgrade worth making if I were to buy the 2010 demo (with the race)?

I really like the demo, but the parts (mainly suspension) look better for the devinci and the session. Any body got opinions on those bikes?

I guess I might as well throw up the links to the bikes I'm looking at if anyone cares to see what I'm referring to...
--DEMO: http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/717626/
--Devinci's: http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/701891/
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/763297/
--Session 88: http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/737056/
--Glory's: http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/716245/
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/759666/
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/701464/
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/719477/

Thanks for you're help!

Last edited by a moderator:

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Having ridden owned Demos then switching to a Glory last season, I can highly recommend the Glory. Plus it has a better fork and you can make it slacker with an Angleset. I had the Works -1 on mine and I found it perfect

MetalMayhem

Chimp
May 17, 2008
east coast
The only issue I have with the session is that the Geo is not as low/slack and doesn't seem as "dh specific" as the demo or the devinci does. Maybe not?

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I came off a 2010 Session and have been riding a 2011 Glory since September. Both bikes shared the same build, it was simply a frame swap, so the comparison is based soley on frame characterstics. Here are my oversimplified cliff notes.

"Out of the box" I personally felt like the Session was a more stable ride. It cornered well, and was inspiring to ride on fast ugly terrain. From the beginning I always thought it was a pretty firm riding bike though with regards to suspension movement. Absolutely no complaints, Trek did a great job.

The Glory turns equally well. The suspension also floats over terrain well, but is less jarring of a ride. I will confirm speculation that in comparison to the Session, the Glory is too steep out of the box. I tend to prefer a slightly steeper headangle, and have no desire to own a <64* bike, but even I will be installing an Angleset into my Glory this winter. I'm confident that once that change is made, it'll blend the ride of Maestro that I prefer, with the rad handling characteristics of the Session.

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I ride a Session since two years and have to say, that the bike is confidence inspiring. It's light and stable but nimble enough to ride it in an active way. It isn't a plow bike, which makes it a fun bike to ride on any terrain.
It jumps and corners really well and the geo is spot on.

So if you search a bike for any condition, the Session will do the job.

If you search something less "jarring" or stiff, the Glory-with angled headset;) should be good.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
see the link in my sig. if you decide to go with a session, you can have a better condition equally as high end specced session for less.

But really, you're looking at bikes from the big 3, the only one that falls short in any way at all is the glory, which can be easily remedied with a works cup or angleset. So really, you can't go wrong. I recommend not the demo, purely due to spec.

MetalMayhem

Chimp
May 17, 2008
east coast
I guess I'm more between the Devinci and the Session, both have great builds in my opinion. I have heard a lot of good about the session, but it just seems like it's less of a full on DH race bike than the Devinci is, and has a pretty major focus on freeride. (The devinci has 64º headangle and 13.9" BB as compared to 65º and ~14.4) Will the session be as good of a race oriented bike (for places like snowshoe and hopefully tracks like mt. saint anne), or am I too caught up on those numbers? Anyone have experience with both?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
no input on the devinci, but the session is pretty far from freeride angles. The listed HA is incorrect, it has always been 64, and my BB measures 14.1. I think you're getting hung up on numbers. Nobody who has ridden my session (or any of the others I know of) has ever felt that it was too high or steep.

MetalMayhem

Chimp
May 17, 2008
east coast
the session is pretty far from freeride angles. The listed HA is incorrect, it has always been 64, and my BB measures 14.1
Every write-up I've seen on the bike lists it as 65º. I know that the newest model is 64º, but regardless, that's pretty much what I was hoping to hear about the session. I'm looking for a bike that will feel comfortable plowing into rock gardens and on high speed stuff. Sounds like the session should be a decent choice for this

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Every write-up I've seen on the bike lists it as 65º. I know that the newest model is 64º, but regardless, that's pretty much what I was hoping to hear about the session. I'm looking for a bike that will feel comfortable plowing into rock gardens and on high speed stuff. Sounds like the session should be a decent choice for this
What write up? All the users on RM claim it is slacker than advertised. The only writeups that say its 65 deg didnt measure but got their info from the site.

MetalMayhem

Chimp
May 17, 2008
east coast
"65° head angle, 14.3" BB height, 17.3" chainstay length, 47" wheelbase, 32.7" stand over height"

" (size M) TT length (effective): 23.5 in.; ST length: 9.25 in.; head angle: 65 degrees; seat angle (actual): 58 degrees; bottom bracket height: 14.3 in."

Pinkbike Product lists it as 65º as well

Either way, if it is really more like 64º then that's what I'm looking for anyway

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
"65° head angle, 14.3" BB height, 17.3" chainstay length, 47" wheelbase, 32.7" stand over height"

" (size M) TT length (effective): 23.5 in.; ST length: 9.25 in.; head angle: 65 degrees; seat angle (actual): 58 degrees; bottom bracket height: 14.3 in."

Either way, if it is really more like 64º then that's what I'm looking for anyway
I'm aware its listed at 65 everywhere, just when you actually measure it out it comes out at 64-64.5 depending on tires and fork, and certainly the subjective *feel* (I know, not scientific) is low and slack. Trek did their homework. Its a DH bike through and through.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

Pinkbike lists it what trek gave to them. If you want real geo numbers talk to the users. William is one of them but many people on rm claimed its under 65deg.
News sites rarely do measure on their own (dirt mag does but they had some strange trek with 63 deg ha).

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Pinkbike lists it what trek gave to them. If you want real geo numbers talk to the users. William is one of them but many people on rm claimed its under 65deg.
News sites rarely do measure on their own (dirt mag does but they had some strange trek with 63 deg ha).
63 is pretty slack :think: I'm skeptical that they got that correct, or that trek sent them a production frame. I measured mine to be 64.5 with a 40 and Specialized clutch tires and the fork as low as clearance would allow, and I haven't bothered to measure with my boxxer team since I know it rides well.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
63 is pretty slack :think: I'm skeptical that they got that correct, or that trek sent them a production frame. I measured mine to be 64.5 with a 40 and Specialized clutch tires and the fork as low as clearance would allow, and I haven't bothered to measure with my boxxer team since I know it rides well.
Jonsey claimed in the review it was preproduction and trek told them it will be steeper so yeah it could be 63. He would probably noticed if it was 65 as he seems to love slackers.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
Session is DH race bike. Don't get hung up on the numbers. That incarnation of the wilson is also out of production so you could say it's a bit out dated. I also heard hearsay of flex issues with it.

But you asked the people here and they say the session is a good bike. I have a few friends with them and they are good bikes. Also don't forget that just because a bike has steeper numbers doesn't mean it rides steeper. That's the glory's problem. It has pretty much the same numbers as the Session but it's suspension system rides higher in it's travel making the bike feel like it's steeper.

Last edited:

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Thanks for all of the replies. Seems like the session is a good choice. Any chance someone could compare it to the 2010 demo? This one has a world cup as well so specs seem great. http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/714844/
My main concern with the Demo ( which IMO is a big one ) is the stock valving on the rear shock.Its got practically no top and hardly any mid stroke support, meaning when you are loading the bike to "hop" over something, it "dives" in its travel , making the front end even slacker and the BB lower.Which in return translate into a lot of pedal smacking and its very hard to put weight on the front wheel to steer.

Like others have said, static numbers on websites dont mean much.The Demo could have the best geo in the world but yet , with poor damping, the geo goes out the window as soon as you step on it.Its a shame for Specialized, the would have a great frame but I think it's not on par with what other manufacturers are already doing with their bikes and they should seriously step up to the plate and valve that rear shock!

That said, its still a great frame, you could have the rear shock "push" and it would be a ton better.

The Session comes stock with a kick ass rear shock, one if not the best currently on the market and the geo is spot on. I'd even go as far as saying its not a fair comparison as the Session is in the different league than the other bikes you've listed. It rides like a single pivot : amazing acceleration, tracks the ground very , very well, RAILS flat corners , its extremely playful but it also brakes like no other bikes Ive own ( including 5 Demo's :thumb: )

The Demo on the other hand with its very soft valving and FSR suspension, makes for a very good plow bike, stable at high speed but hard to play with when you need to work the bike around...To me, it feels dull overall

Last edited:

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
My main concern with the Demo ( which IMO is a big one ) is the stock valving on the rear shock.Its got practically no top and hardly any mid stroke support, meaning when you are loading the bike to "hop" over something, it "dives" in its travel , making the front end even slacker and the BB lower.Which in return translate into a lot of pedal smacking and its very hard to put weight on the front wheel to steer.
Some questions about Tuumbag's comments. Does this relate to the 2010 Demo 8? I'm no suspension expert so I have to ask: Is this lack of top and mid stroke support the reason why, on my 2010 Demo 8 with RC4, I have to run a ton of compression and air pressure to get the bike feeling good? And by "good", I don't mean perfect by any means. I feel like I'm always compromising. Either I set it up stiff so that it feels good on the fast, rough stuff, but it has poor small bump absorption and a lifeless ride quality with very little pop OR I back off the compression settings and air pressure only to feel overwhelmed on the fast stuff but have great small bump sensitivity and a very lively bike that loves to jump. Anyhow, does this mean a revalve on my shock that gave more top and mid support would then enable me to run less pressure/compression and have a more balanced ride quality?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Some questions about Tuumbag's comments. Does this relate to the 2010 Demo 8? I'm no suspension expert so I have to ask: Is this lack of top and mid stroke support the reason why, on my 2010 Demo 8 with RC4, I have to run a ton of compression and air pressure to get the bike feeling good? And by "good", I don't mean perfect by any means. I feel like I'm always compromising. Either I set it up stiff so that it feels good on the fast, rough stuff, but it has poor small bump absorption and a lifeless ride quality with very little pop OR I back off the compression settings and air pressure only to feel overwhelmed on the fast stuff but have great small bump sensitivity and a very lively bike that loves to jump. Anyhow, does this mean a revalve on my shock that gave more top and mid support would then enable me to run less pressure/compression and have a more balanced ride quality?
Yes, it sounds like a firmer compression tune will help and sometimes a fast setup is not very "comfortable."

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
My experience with the RC4 is it is slightly better then the DHX5 and that's not saying much. For it to feel ok I had to run a soft spring, boost valve with the highest pressure possible and the bottom out almost fully cranked in. Mid stroke was horrible and blew through the end stroke. This was on my 2010 Glory. I really did not like that shock.