Quantcast

Options for a 2019 Boxxer WC

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Overall I actually like this fork! It's my first Boxxer since 2005 I think, when they first switched to 8" of travel. It has the Charger 2 damper, not the 2.1...which isn't completely terrible really.

BUT, if I had to improve something, it would be to get the fork to sit a little higher in its travel. The Push claims the HC97 will help with this so that seems like a decent option. But I know it's not designed for the Boxxer chassis since the top cap of the HC97 is wider than 35mm. The other option is the Vorsprung Secus (when it's made available for the Boxxer).

I feel like my damper settings, air spring adjustment are where I want them to be.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I have and love the HC97 in my Lyrik. I was under the impression its compatible with the new Boxxers with 2.0 or 2.1 damplifiers. That's what Push told me anyway.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Coil it nao?
I've thought of that. It wouldn't be hard either I don't think. Plus with the number of cheap boxxer springs out there, I could mess around and try to come up with a dual rate spring. I was just thinking a damper adjustment might do the trick instead...or that Secus thing.

I have and love the HC97 in my Lyrik. I was under the impression its compatible with the new Boxxers with 2.0 or 2.1 damplifiers. That's what Push told me anyway.
Yeah it is compatible but, if I wanted to take the upper crown off for whatever reason, I'd have to remove the entire damper first: The HC97 won't fit through the crown.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I have the 2.0, 2.1 and HC97 dampers in a few Lyriks. I have both the compression adjusters wound in farther on the 2.1 than the 2.0, but don't feel much of a difference between them otherwise. The HC97 is noticeably more composed. None of them completely get rid of the inherent mid-stroke air-spring softness, I'd try the Secus for that.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
So what's the verdict with Boxxers? I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on a new one (latest models) but am somewhat concerned about the fork still blowing through it's travel.

So far, I've read about:

1. People (@Redwood Mulch Chucker I think?) playing with shim stacks. I wouldn't put that outside of my options, as I am a tinkerer.

2. Push HC97 upgrades.

3. Avalanche upgrades.

Are any one of these proving to be better than the others? I'd imagine for option one or two it'd be best to get the Ultimate, cuz you're optimising what's there. If it was 3, is it better just to get the cheapest chassis it seems you're replacing the damper with an aftermarket one.

Any thoughts?

I'm in Australia, so the installation would have to be either done by me (average mechanic skills, willing to learn) or by a shop mechanic.

Edited because I am a fool!

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
There is (was?) another option from Race Only Springs out of Ireland with a coil conversion that uses a progressive spring, but the website is down currently. Shame because I ordered a rear spring from them about a month ago, nothing yet. :think:

boxxer coil.jpg

As for the damper side, it is quite easy and inexpensive to work on the 2.1 with decent results.

The HC97 involves about as much work as re-shimming the damper yourself, but is $300+ They are also very heavily damped, not so good for lighter folks.

I believe the Hybrid Coil Cartridge thingy from Avalanche is the best of all worlds. But this is without actually using one. :D

I have re-shimmed a few 2.1's and also have an HC97.

Another tuning option is something like the DSD Runt. It will give you better mid/bottom support without being overly harsh. Don't know if here is aBoxxer specific one, but they do make one for the Lyrik that may work.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
There is (was?) another option from Race Only Springs out of Ireland with a coil conversion that uses a progressive spring, but the website is down currently. Shame because I ordered a rear spring from them about a month ago, nothing yet. :think:

View attachment 171260

As for the damper side, it is quite easy and inexpensive to work on the 2.1 with decent results.

The HC97 involves about as much work as re-shimming the damper yourself, but is $300+ They are also very heavily damped, not so good for lighter folks.

I believe the Hybrid Coil Cartridge thingy from Avalanche is the best of all worlds. But this is without actually using one. :D

I have re-shimmed a few 2.1's and also have an HC97.

Another tuning option is something like the DSD Runt. It will give you better mid/bottom support without being overly harsh. Don't know if here is aBoxxer specific one, but they do make one for the Lyrik that may work.
Did you ever end up getting your spring from them? I ordered a shock spring from them over a month ago. They were quick to respond then (and collect my money), but haven't gotten a tracking number or response since then. I'm wondering at what point I cancel my order.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Did you ever end up getting your spring from them? I ordered a shock spring from them over a month ago. They were quick to respond then (and collect my money), but haven't gotten a tracking number or response since then. I'm wondering at what point I cancel my order.
Yeah I finally did.
It took a good 3 months, seems to be a one man show with a lot of other things going on.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
The Race Only Springs guy went silent on me. I finally asked for him to cancel order, then after a week of no response filed a claim through Paypal. They gave him like 2 weeks to respond (nothing), and eventually issued me a full refund.