Quantcast

Options for mid weight - mini DH tires

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
So after 11 seasons I'm retiring my Michelin Comp 32 front tire (still has tread left but it's huge and heavy). Putting new tires on my 2001 RFX 6" travel "mini DH" bike and I don't do anything crazy on this bike. Mostly Highland or Burke Mtn so plenty of buff DH trails without the terribly gnarly rocks. Thinking anywhere from 2.35-2.5 and 950-1200g would suit me fine. My wheels are 823 UST so UST tires are an option but not required.

As you can tell, it's been over a decade since I purchased DH tires. I'm treating myself this year.:thumb:

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
Minions.
I've also heard good things about the new specialized tires, but don't have any personal experience with them.
What compound? I don't want them to wear out super quick as I don't replace tires every year as you can see. They don't have to last another decade though. I do ride this bike around town and to the local BMX DJs with my 11 year old son so something that rolls well would be good.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What compound? I don't want them to wear out super quick as I don't replace tires every year as you can see. They don't have to last another decade though. I do ride this bike around town and to the local BMX DJs with my 11 year old son so something that rolls well would be good.
if you're looking for something that won't wear quickly, the only option would be the 60A. I can get 2-4 months out of my super tacky's (edit: super tacky = 42A) depending on how much I ride.

the 3 C's are supposed to be a good balance - don't wear as quickly but still offer better performance than the 60A, but are more expensive.

Last edited:

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
One more thing, my RFX has an Avy DHS 2.25 which is .25" stroke longer than stock so even though the original frame can fit a 2.5 in back 2.2-2.3 is about all I can do with the longer stroke without hitting the seat tube. Currently have a Michelin Comp 16 2.2 in the rear.

rav400

Monkey
Aug 31, 2009
The Right Coast
I have 2.5 maxxis minion DHF 3c exo front and rear on my "mini-dh/freeride/slopestyle" bike. seem to work pretty well. they haven't let me down at the local mountain, 7 springs which is mostly hard pack jumpy trails. I think I only had one flat last season.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
One more thing, my RFX has an Avy DHS 2.25 which is .25" stroke longer than stock so even though the original frame can fit a 2.5 in back 2.2-2.3 is about all I can do with the longer stroke without hitting the seat tube. Currently have a Michelin Comp 16 2.2 in the rear.
maxxis tires still tend to run smaller than they are labeled.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
all these should work well for what you are doing:

specialized clutch/butcher sx casing ~1000g
continental baron 2.3 ~850g
maxxis DHF / HR2, EXO casing ~850-930g
schwalbe MM, BB, WW, trailstar/FR casing ~870-900g

maxxis 60 duro and continental black chili rubber lasts pretty well.

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
I would think that the Minion DHF Exo would fit the bill for you, maybe the High Roller II as well--although I can't speak from experience on that tire. Exo or single ply casing DHFs/High Rollers are what I run for "mini DH" or good DH runs with XC mixed in. The 3C compound lasts a long time and grips well, but if you like to get skid-happy you can run a 60A on the back. From what I've seen, Maxxis can be found cheaper than the other tires mentioned as well.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I would look into the Continental tires with the Black Chili compound.
I'm running 2.4 TrailKings in the Tubeless Black Chili compound on my mini-dh bike and they are fantastic. The traction is wonderful in all conditions and they are very long wearing.
I bumped down to 2.2's in the same tire on my Blur TRc but again, the compound is a great balance.
I'll be mounting up some proper DH Conti's on the Sunday this season as I've been so impressed with my trail/mini-dh bike tire experience.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
I've been diggin' the schwalbe hans dampfs. A bit slow rolling, but super grippy and predictable. Recommend running the evo pacestar compound if you want them to last..

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
Apart from the Hans Dampf as captainspaulidn suggests I too like Schwalbe Muddy Marys in the freeride version, not very heavy and they are big enough in the 2,35 version (bigger than a Minion 2,5 for example)