Quantcast

Orange 224 Frame Weight

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
They are as of today, our frames are leaving the factory via DHL as we speak. They may only be available in limited numbers though for now.
maybe those guys pre ordered them or something, were there on friday already. could have built it up the night before, never know.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
To dispell the rumours, myths and legends

Here is a 2007 Orange 224, frame with rear axle, shock shuttle and bolts only.

8.66lbs.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Yep, DHX and Ti spring going on. That with Hones, Hadley/729, 888 RC2X WC should come in right around the 40lb mark. It would be really easy to drop a couple of pounds, but I'm 200+ and smooth isn't a quality used to describe my style so I'd like to keep it strong

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Ya with hope/721s, boxxer, tubeless etc you can get it silly light in a hurry without trying.
Hopes/721's is an option I'm really tossing around right now, but I go through a rear 729 at least once a season so I'm not quite sure about that. I've been running tubless for years, and I'll never run a Boxxer.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Hopes/721's is an option I'm really tossing around right now, but I go through a rear 729 at least once a season so I'm not quite sure about that. I've been running tubless for years, and I'll never run a Boxxer.
I have a hope 721 that happens to fit that bike if you need one. ;)

My new stuff has to be all 135mm.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
So the guy from orange who said that the frame without shock is 6.9lb was talking complete crap?

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
So the guy from orange who said that the frame without shock is 6.9lb was talking complete crap?
I'd say yep and that was for the 2006 224 frame I think.

He might get that weight if he weighed the front and rear separately and didn't weigh the pivots, bearings, axle and shock mount hardware.

Fraser any shots of the new bikes?? The builds will likely come out a bit lighter with the rear being 135mm on the new frame.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Yeah I was wondering that, with the headtube thing as well I can see that all of the hardware would come to over 1lb, but 1.7lb seems a bit much.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Here are the frames that the Junior riders on the Transcend Magazine Team will race on this season.

Weight came in at 8.6lbs with all the shock hardware and rear axle attached but without the seatpost clamp.

Attachments

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Thought it was less. Almost 4kg without the spring means that orange weight similar to some other frames while most ppl think it's the second lightest dh frame.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
What frames are light these days? Socom.. what else?

For reference my DHi frame (2005 medium) is 9.2lb including *everything* apart from the shock & spring.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Thought it was less. Almost 4kg without the spring means that orange weight similar to some other frames while most ppl think it's the second lightest dh frame.
A couple of years ago it was considered really light. Now that weight weenyism has taken hold of the DH scene, they're pretty average in the lighter DH frame category. They seem pretty damn strong for a lightweight frame though.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Well what shocks me is that a 224 is heavier than my old 222 was! My 222 frame (without shock/spring) was 8.65lb (3928g), AND that had a floater. Without the floater it was 7.75lb (3517g)! Admittedly it had no caliper mount on the frame, but that's 50g or something.

I'm sure that 223s were lighter, and 224s lighter again.

So how is it that these 224s are 8.6lb?! Only thing I can think is that my 222 was one of the early ones when they only did one size (15") - what size are these 224s that you're weighing?

They do seem to have bulked back up quite a bit, were loads breaking? The adjustable headtube has obviously added a bit, but not THAT much I wouldn't have thought?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
3.55kg for Lapierre dh-230 withouth the shock and it has an adjustable head angle which is an extra ~ 150g

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The oranges were the lightest frame on the market for a long time, other frames have caught up recently. The 222s were really light as they had minimal gussetting, small dropouts, 135mm rear etc.

This year's bike is about the same as last year's. Lighter swingarm, but heavier main triangle. There wasn't a ton breaking, but they are trying the new headtube deal and some other stuff. The rear dropouts are massive and contribute a lot of weight (unnecessarily in my opinion).

Basically, it is all prep for next years frame which hopefully will once again take the lightest Dh frame title (without being a sketchy fragile piece of crap).

top_dog

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
The 06 was the lightest 224 though wasn't it? I thought I read they beefed them up for 07, especially in the front monocoque to stop them denting.