Quantcast

orange 224 size

ArthurDH

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Italy
hi, i'm 6 feet tall, would a regular size orange 224 be too small for me?
seat tube 15", effective top tube 22.8"

a M sized sunday has 23.5" effective TT, while a M blindside is 22.6"... i'm a bit confused

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
personal preferene really, the medium new DHR is like a 24.2 eftt.
i have amedium DHR can just came off a medium sunday, and im 5 foot 8.

you could go with either. but if th large 224 is between 23-24 eftt, id go with that

top_dog

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
I am 5'9" and ride the 15" 224. Its quite a long bike, longer than a Large Sunday. The top tube is quite a bit longer than my small Sunday, a lot more than .3" thats for sure. You are probably on the borderline...I'd try and ride both and see which you prefer.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I agree with top_dog. You are about the upper limit of a size regular. That said, I have had several team riders of your height who rode the regular to plenty of top finishes.

Just remember that the large is huge, so it's more a question of will it feel right than if the small will feel wrong.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
i wold say you would be most happy on a medium... as stated before the top tube is on the long side, but also keep in mind the wheelbase is pretty long as well... there is a lot of bike out back on the 224

a six foot rider with weight centered over the long wheel base would fit pretty nice i think

for some perspective, i am exactly 5'10" and this is me on a med 224 from two seasons ago

On DH bikes its the measurement from the BB to the handlebars that you feel since you are standing most of the time. The Blindside measurement for TT is a little weird based upon where the seattube sits in relation to the BB. I am 5'9" and got a Medium Blindside, the small felt way way way small. At my height I normally run exactly at a 22.8 TT. unless you like small bikes, go with something bigger

just my $.02 though

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
On DH bikes its the measurement from the BB to the handlebars that you feel since you are standing most of the time. The Blindside measurement for TT is a little weird based upon where the seattube sits in relation to the BB. I am 5'9" and got a Medium Blindside, the small felt way way way small. At my height I normally run exactly at a 22.8 TT. unless you like small bikes, go with something bigger

just my $.02 though
you also have to keep in mind wheel base, as when you ride, turn, jump etc your riding position will change in order to weight the bike evenly.

haveing ridden a med 224 and med sunday the position you ride in is very different. sundat has longer top tube/ short chainstays and requires the rider to lean further forward.. think chest over the number plate

the 224 is shorter in the top tube and longer out back, and you end up leaning away from the bars a bit more when riding to keep balanced weight

so no, top tube is not the be all end all measurement of how your bike will "fit"

the large 224 is a HUGE bike... keep that in mind, and to be homest there were a few times i wished my med 224 was a bit smaller