Quantcast

Orange Crush

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Here's my newest test subject. A Salsa Dos Niner '07 version. (Appologies to Ben, I thought you were referring to something else orange on the phone the other day!)

Okay, so I've just gotten it together and I have ridden it once,but if you have a question, fire away, and I'll try to answer it for ya. In the meantime, enjoy my "crappy pics".

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Weight?

How does it differ geometry wise from the 2006s - if at all?

Any toe overlap? Does the extra inch in back help a lot or just a little?

Is it worth it to worry about vs. a traditional hardtail?

I've got a million of em. lol

Nice bike!

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
MMcG: Hey, thanks for all the questions, really! I don't mind.

Current geo specs are the same for '06 to '07. The main differences in the '07 model beyond the obvious color scheme is that Salsa designed a new stiffer downtube with PLENTY of "Reba clearance". The other change was to go to a disc only set up.

The travel out back is certainly noticeable. I have it set to 20psi in the damper unit, although lighter folks will want less, and maybe none at all. I like the feel. Does it do any good? Well, that's a question that will take some time to answer. I will say that no matter what, it's going to make your body feel better than it would have after a long ride. Sure, it's not an FS bike, but those little hits add up over a long period of time. Just ask any boxer about the effectiveness of jabs, and you'll get the idea. Sure, the Dos won't negate the knock out punches, but you won't feel the damage from all those little jabs.

It's kind of a funny bike to describe, because it blurs the line between hardtail and FS. Is it worth it? Well, if you like super long rides, than yes. If you are into endurance racing, and simplicity is a high priority, then yes. If you are an XC geek, maybe not. If you like simplicity and gears freak you out, probably not. If you want All Mountain cushiness and dig drops and high speed, gnarly DH, definitely look elsewhere.

And there is no toe overlap, not even close. I'll have weights and measures later.

By the way, Salsa sent this down with the new Michelin 29"er tires which I am really liking so far. I'll make a separate post on those soon!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
MMcG: Hey, thanks for all the questions, really! I don't mind.

Current geo specs are the same for '06 to '07. The main differences in the '07 model beyond the obvious color scheme is that Salsa designed a new stiffer downtube with PLENTY of "Reba clearance". The other change was to go to a disc only set up.

The travel out back is certainly noticeable. I have it set to 20psi in the damper unit, although lighter folks will want less, and maybe none at all. I like the feel. Does it do any good? Well, that's a question that will take some time to answer. I will say that no matter what, it's going to make your body feel better than it would have after a long ride. Sure, it's not an FS bike, but those little hits add up over a long period of time. Just ask any boxer about the effectiveness of jabs, and you'll get the idea. Sure, the Dos won't negate the knock out punches, but you won't feel the damage from all those little jabs.

It's kind of a funny bike to describe, because it blurs the line between hardtail and FS. Is it worth it? Well, if you like super long rides, than yes. If you are into endurance racing, and simplicity is a high priority, then yes. If you are an XC geek, maybe not. If you like simplicity and gears freak you out, probably not. If you want All Mountain cushiness and dig drops and high speed, gnarly DH, definitely look elsewhere.

And there is no toe overlap, not even close. I'll have weights and measures later.

By the way, Salsa sent this down with the new Michelin 29"er tires which I am really liking so far. I'll make a separate post on those soon!
I noticed those tires! Please do keep us posted on that new option in tires!!

bac

Monkey
Dec 14, 2006
Pennsylvania
Here's my newest test subject. A Salsa Dos Niner '07 version.
My bud has the (I think) 2005 version. He built it up as a single-speed, though. The only issue/problem he has is that there isn't much space between the rear wheel, and the frame. I've seen it clog pretty bad on really muddy rides. I think Salsa made a change to fix this issue, but I'm not sure.

He absolutely loves this bike. I've ridden it also, and if I had the money ..... sh*t. Anyway, I love the paint job. I have a Salsa Las Cruces cyclocross bike that shares the pumpkin look:

... Brad

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Yeah, those Las Cruces are nice! I really like the new Chile Con Crosso too. Paint scheme much like my Dos, only in greens.

As to the clearance issue, yes it's been fixed. Plenty of room for up to 2.3 inchers now.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Well, I've been able to check out the Dos off road. I think it's a great bike, but it's going to be a turn off for some of you.

The best way I can describe the Dos' ride characteristics is to put it this way: If you ever spent time on a high end steel hardtail, something with like say, Columbus tubes or Tange Prestige, and added a suspension seat post, you'd have an idea of what the Dos rides like.

While I've never ridden a Moots or Dean softail, I'd imagine that the ride would also be very similar.

It's a bike that you don't "thrash on", but a bike you have to become part of. It isn't going to react well to those who have alot of upper body movement in their riding style either. In fact, the Dos is very much like a fine steel road bike in that way.

If you have the discipline to quiet your upper body and let your legs do the talking, the Dos rewards you with a ride that belies it's minimal one inch of rear wheel travel. True, it's not an "all mountain" type of bike, not at all. It's an XC/ endurance/ trail bike that rides soooooo smooth, if you let it do it's thing.

I found it handles switch backs and tight twisty single track with ease. It's great in a "g" out, as the shocks and frame keep you from buckling under at the point of compression. An all day ride on the Dos is much easier on the body too. An important point to consider.

It climbs just fine, in fact it climbs quite well due in part to the soft tail design. Descending is made a bit calmer, also due in part to the soft tail and forgiving chassis.

It's a weird bike, because if you closed your eyes while riding and imagined you were riding a Columbus SL tubed bike instead of an aluminum one, you'd have a good picture of what the Dos is about, ride-wise. It's not the typical aluminum/stiff/beat you up legend that aluminum is known for, not even close.

I like it, but it ain't everyones cup o tea, that I'm sure of!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Good write up Guitar Ted - you say you like it, but does it fit your personal riding style, or are you one to use a lot of upper body when you ride?

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Good write up Guitar Ted - you say you like it, but does it fit your personal riding style, or are you one to use a lot of upper body when you ride?
Ever ridden on rollers? The idea is to get you to quit making extraneous movements that are not directly related to your propelling yourself forwards on a bike. Cleaner pedal strokes, quieter upper body, calm and relaxed, yet powerful.

The Dos is sorta like that. It rewards you if you are smooth and graceful. It rides like a crappy wet noodle if you don't. Riding "without grace" is wasting energy, so while it may not be my "natural" riding style, it's what I, and I think every, rider should aspire to. It's certainly way more efficient, at least in my view.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Ever ridden on rollers? The idea is to get you to quit making extraneous movements that are not directly related to your propelling yourself forwards on a bike. Cleaner pedal strokes, quieter upper body, calm and relaxed, yet powerful.

The Dos is sorta like that. It rewards you if you are smooth and graceful. It rides like a crappy wet noodle if you don't. Riding "without grace" is wasting energy, so while it may not be my "natural" riding style, it's what I, and I think every, rider should aspire to. It's certainly way more efficient, at least in my view.
I agree that riding without grace is wasting energy - but not everyone can do it, that's why I asked. I know we all strive for it, but do we all accomplish it? I was wondering if you have accomplished it or not and how that would relate to your view of the bike.

In other words, would you buy one. I know you get these to test ride and whatnot (damned nice gig ya got there too), but if you could only buy one 29er - would this be it?

The Monkey

Chimp
Sep 3, 2006
Waterbury VT
There are some trails up here that require you to use your upper body to get around. Very hurky jerky.
It's almost like a mix between trails and XC riding at times.
But I agree, a quiet upper body is key for smooth riding, and uses less energy. It's something I have learned to do on extended climsbs on full suspension bikes.
Let the bike do all the work, that's why it's there!

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
It's all dependant upon your riding area and what style of riding you do. The East-coasty stuff doesn't sound so much like it favors the Dos. Trialsy manouvering is best done on a quick, light bike. That said, the Dos is adept at tackling many types of trails in the right hands.

MMcG: Would I buy it as my do all bike? Maybe. Actually, I think of my Karate Monkey single speed in that manner. Simple, durable, great handling, and it can tackle road, gravel, or singletrack with my drop bar set up. Does it do any one of those things the best? No, not really. So, you can compromise, and get one general tool, (a Vice Grip) or you can get the right tools for your favorite trails and other types of riding, (a complete wrench set) Sure, you can get a half inch bolt out with a Vice grip, but it's best to have the half inch wrench. Same goes for bikes.

I realize not everyone can afford that route, so you must compromise. In that sense the Dos could be an ideal bike for someone, but your trails and intended uses should dictate that, not some grimy shop mechanics opinion in far off Iowa! :monkeydance:

Merry Christmas, by the way!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I personally don't think a Dos is a good bike for New England conditions. I know others will disagree, but that's my thinking.

Thanks for putting up these write ups here though GT - it is good to stimulate these kinds of discussions.

Happy Holidays to ya!

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Here's a shot from my slippery, muddy fest on Christmas Eve this year. I can say that the increased clearance on the '06 versions of the Dos is mighty welcomed!

The bike handled amazingly well for such sloppy, greasy trail conditions. The Michelins continue to impress as mud shedders and as a tire that claws for any available traction that it can find.

I will probably be getting another set of these tires for another of my bikes. I think they are well worth adding to your tire pile, especially if mud, slick roots, or softer loamy soil is in your trail conditions at any time. These aren't the widest tires out there, but for true mud clearing abilities, I don't think they should be too wide.

I'm sure for the really hard, buff conditions with loose powder on top these tires will not be too favorable, but until this summer comes, I'll run these.

More Dos Niner stuff to come, stay tuned!