Quantcast

Ordered my new trek session today

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I have an '09 Session 88 as well, I'm interested to hear how you like the 9.9 when you get it built up.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Not really that bad a price when you consider top end road carbon frames are in the same price range! Still a long way from what I have in my pocket.

Owennn

Monkey
Mar 10, 2009
Does $4200 including the fork as well? Because if not, that is a completely ridiculous price for a frame. Carbon or not.
Similar to the retail prices we pay here in Australia for frames, $4000 for an M9, $4500 for a V10 carbon etc.

armada

Monkey
Aug 27, 2010
I hope to god you guys aren't paying "retail" on those.
if you get like a 50% discount you can buy any other top bike on the market :D if you buy just the frame and get a 50% discount instead you can buy a whole kona operator bike :D :D

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Not really that bad a price when you consider top end road carbon frames are in the same price range! Still a long way from what I have in my pocket.
But then again the carbon v10 is much cheaper, hell even the carbon fury is cheaper and we are still to see the price for that evil. Doubt they will go that crazy.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Why do you people complain about the price?,it's not that super crazy compaired to some of the realy expensive alloy DH frames.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
thats a mental price. Just checked the UK price and it £4000 and £7000 for the full bike considering the Morewood Makulu with a bos shock is £2900 and is considered by most to be very much in the realm of stupidly expensive boutique bikes. I cant see Trek selling too many compared to a V10 which is the same price as the alloy version was. Im sure there will be a price revision for 2013 but with everything there will be people who pay over the odds to be the first to have it.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
As long as there are people buying 5k frames and 10k completes the companies will keep producing them. Supply and demand...
Yep, and perhaps on the other side of the equation the supply is not intended to be that high. Maybe they want it to be exclusive. They make all their money on commuter bikes anyway.

It is sad though that the amateur racer (like me) can no longer afford a top of the line "F1" level bike anymore. At least not from some companies. I guess it was inevitable. Thankfully my Legend is not holding me back in any regard and seems as though it will last a good long while.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
$1000 more than a M9 or a DHR isnt crazy?
I can name a view that cost more than the 9.9 frame,here in my country the session retails for 4500 euros,which is no more than 300 more than the old session 10 frame.

25th ani yeti 303 was near 6000 euro
First gen 303DH was arround 5000 euro
Foes 2:1 mono was 5000 euro
Nicolai Ion G-boxx 7000 euro

so that isn't soo crazy compaired to those frames and they are not made from carbon;)

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
anyone who thinks anything over 4k for a bicycle frame is not over priced is crazy.

They are sweet bikes for certain, but i'll continue to stick with my "just good enough" affordable "entry level" bikes.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I can name a view that cost more than the 9.9 frame,here in my country the session retails for 4500 euros,which is no more than 300 more than the old session 10 frame.

25th ani yeti 303 was near 6000 euro
First gen 303DH was arround 5000 euro
Foes 2:1 mono was 5000 euro
Nicolai Ion G-boxx 7000 euro

so that isn't soo crazy compaired to those frames and they are not made from carbon;)
You're comparing EU retail to US retail. Completely different things. The price of the 9.9 in Europe will be astronomical.

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
anyone who thinks anything over 4k for a bicycle frame is not over priced is crazy.

They are sweet bikes for certain, but i'll continue to stick with my "just good enough" affordable "entry level" bikes.
Ya, exactly. It's not THAT light, the suspension is THAT good, and the geo isn't any better than anything else out there.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
So, umm, have you guys ever heard of Ferrari? Or MV Agusta? Or Carradan skis? Or any other number of examples of exactly the same thing?
exactly.

Trek isn't shooting for a corvette right now, they're going for ferrari - sure, the corvette might be as fast as the ferarri, but people will still spend 4x more on the ferrari because it is a ferrari.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
My guess is Trek just wanted to do a small production run to test the water with carbon and got them made in the USA as a result.
I bet for 2012 the frame is made in taiwan and drops in price.