Quantcast

]Ore. Bicyclist Charged With Manslaughter

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
stinkyboy said:
Sadly, that explains why he was arrested. Had he been a clean cut roadie in tights, I'll bet it would have been a different story...
You are just upset because he looks like he could be your twin. :blah: If he was a roadie he probably would have kept going...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
riderx said:
You are just upset because he looks like he could be your twin. :blah: If he was a roadie he probably would have kept going...
R U Kidding? He'd either stop because he is planning on suing the dead woman because his headbadge was scratched or he couldn't go any farther because his carbon fork snapped.

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
riderx said:
More info

Did anyone see this guy? If not, check him out.
Thanks for posting that. I was just getting around to this thread and was digging for the pictures.

What's everyone's definition of a cyclist? A person riding a bike?

There are a lot of people riding bikes here in Portland; I don't think they're all "cyclists." I've seen a lot of people running on COPS; I'm not sure they're all "runners."

I have a neighbor who has legally lost the privvie of driving a car, so he's on a beater. From what I've witnessed, his behavior hasn't changed much. An irresponsible person is just that, regardless of whether they're wearing a team jersey or they look like Nick Nolte after a bender.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Despite what he looks like, he is not a bad person. He is one of a few homeless people in this town. He does not cause any trouble, he is not a criminal, he seems to pretty much keep to himself. He uses a bicycle as his only means of transportation. He cruises around the neighborhoods collecting cans and such.

It's an unfortunate situation for all involved. Local reports state that he claims he came to a stop and was travelling at no more than 5 miles per hour when he collided with the elderly woman. From what I can gather, he came to stop sign, claims he stopped and started riding again. The elderly woman stepped out into the crosswalk on the opposite side of the intersection as he started to go through it. So she wasn't crossing at the same intersection that police say the man on the bike "can't prove he stopped at." I hope the logistics make sense.

I truely feel that it was handled in such a manner because of the man's appearance and the fact that he is homeless. There have been two cases recently in Corvallis where pedestrians were either hurt badly or killed while crossing intersections that cars didn't yield to. One situation was right outside my house. A mid-20's driver plows over a women crossing the street who was delivering hot meals to elderly people in the neighborhood. The driver stated he did not yield right of way but was never charged because "it would be a shame to ruin a young man's life over a simple mistake." I'm sure it didn't hurt that his dad was a big wig at the college.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
DH Diva said:
Despite what he looks like, he is not a bad person. He is one of a few homeless people in this town. He does not cause any trouble, he is not a criminal, he seems to pretty much keep to himself. He uses a bicycle as his only means of transportation.
I don't think anyone has accused him of any of those things. I posted his picture because there was all kinds of speculation as to what kind of cyclist this was, from kitted out roadie to busboy.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Oh I didn't think you had. I was just more pointing out that unfortunately, I think maybe he was treated differently by the police because of his appearance and social status.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
DH Diva said:
Oh I didn't think you had. I was just more pointing out that unfortunately, I think maybe he was treated differently by the police because of his appearance and social status.
I wouldn't go there, unless you want to open the can of worms involving white vs. minority, rich vs. poor, etc.

Surfice to say, he hit someone and killed her, was arrested and released due to a lack of evidence. There was plenty of e-speculation, which is to be expected on RM, but he did kill a woman. The inconvience of spending a few days in jail hardly seem to compare to the pain which her survivors are suffering through.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
sanjuro said:
I wouldn't go there, unless you want to open the can of worms involving white vs. minority, rich vs. poor, etc.

Surfice to say, he hit someone and killed her, was arrested and released due to a lack of evidence. There was plenty of e-speculation, which is to be expected on RM, but he did kill a woman. The inconvience of spending a few days in jail hardly seem to compare to the pain which her survivors are suffering through.
My only point was that affluent white citizens/non homeless citizens/ect have done the same thing in this town and NOT spent a single moment in the custody of the police. That was my only point, I understand that it is a controversial thing to say, but it's how I feel.