Quantcast

Origin 8 Scout 29

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
Just got one of the Scout 29 frames in for a project bike at the shop. Building it into a ladies ride because of the low standover height. Neat frame for a budget build. Set up with horizontal dropouts so it can be run as a single speeder also. We went ahead and picked up the Spinner 29 fork with it. Kinda reminds me of a Reba and it comes so you can run v-brakes

I know I know hurry up and post the pics.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I have been looking at the spinner fork. Let us know what you think of it. I may be getting a demo on one here in a few weeks too.

That scout frame will be widened in the rear soon, but I don't think they are here yet.

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
Build spec
Origin 8 Scout frame with Spinner fork
FSA headset
Truvativ Firex GXP3.3 cranks
Sram X-7 rear derail and X-7 twister
Sram 970 11/32 cass with 951 chain
XT front derail high band that needs to be changed to a low band
Shimano XT hubs/ Sun Ringle' EQ 23 rims with Maxxis CrossMark tires
Origin 8 stem, flatbar and carbon seatpost
Avid Juicy 7 brakes
Clould 9 ladies saddle with the pink breast cancer ribbon

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
30mm If felt pretty solid.
Besides changing the front derail when we get the bike back I'm going to change the rear axle to a bolt on.

ottoreni

Chimp
Feb 24, 2008
Nice looking build.

Looking to get one of these frames because of the short chainstay long top-tube geometry as a test frame before I spend more money on a similar geometry frame.

Is this frame an 07 or 08 model?

I have read only in one place that the 07 had tire clearance issues so the claimed 16.75" chainstays were not achieveable.

The '08, I read had a 73mm bb shell in order to correct this versus a 68mm bb shel. Is this true?

Lastly, anybody know the msrp? Thanks!

ottoreni

Chimp
Feb 24, 2008
I've seen the Origin 8 homepage.

I am asking the bottom bracket question because Guitar Ted stated it in his blog. He said the 73mm bb shell will be available in winter....here we are in spring:hmm:

Lumberjack, can you tell me if the 16.75 chainstay is possible? Or I would have to run a 1.8 tire to get that?

Thanks!

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
We waited on this one for ages. It has a 68mm BB and are running a 29 x 2.1 Maxxix CrossMark. Center bb to center axle is approx 16.75" I just went over and measured it

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
There is a new version of the Scout coming.........after the current one sells through. What you guys have out there is the same Scout that was originally introduced. 68mm BB shell and original chainstay/BB junction. The newer generation Scout, which will not be offered until J&B Importers sells all the current stock of Scouts, will have a redesigned chainstay yoke and a 73mm BB. The aluminum version of the Scout, which will only be offered as a complete rig, will have an aluminum version of what the newer generation Scout will have. So, if you happen to get a look at the aluminum Scout, you will have an idea what the new steel Scout will look like.

J&B optimistically thought that they would sell through these already, so that was the reason for the previously given delivery date.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
We could be waiting a long long time with that approach from J&B

My thinking - they should highly discount the originals to sell em to those folks who like to run narrow rear tires and begin offering the new version at full price to those who prefer wider tires in back.

With their current thinking - the new batch of frames could sit in a warehouse for a year - while folks buy other frames from other companies that meet their need for wider tires in back.

Is my thinking whacked?

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
We could be waiting a long long time with that approach from J&B

My thinking - they should highly discount the originals to sell em to those folks who like to run narrow rear tires and begin offering the new version at full price to those who prefer wider tires in back.

With their current thinking - the new batch of frames could sit in a warehouse for a year - while folks buy other frames from other companies that meet their need for wider tires in back.

Is my thinking whacked?
Where J&B probably slipped up was letting on that they were going to make the better clearanced frame in the first place.

I'm sure that if the sales of the current Stout start to slow down we'll see them doing exactly what you are proposing. However; I'm sure you can see their side of it. They want to recoup their costs and make money on the Scout they have out there now. Sure, we know about the "other" model and lots of us are waiting (raises hand) but I don't see them discounting the current model until they get closer to being out of the original Scout.

That's my take on it anyway.