Quantcast

Oro Puro Gold Brakes

Boomer-61

Chimp
Jul 17, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Mtn. bike action raves on these brakes. The reviews in Mtbr look good also. Does anyone have them? What do you think? Are they worth the price?

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
If you want the lightest brakes on the market, then yes, go for them.

If you think spending $700 on a pair of brakes when the next step down works EXACTLY the same, don't bother.

I had a chat with Formula the other day about the Puros vs. the K24s. Mechanically they work the same, there is no difference in performance. Weight wise they add about a quarter pound to the bike.

From what I have heard they are awesome, but unless you really want the best I wouldn't be willing to shell out that much cash.

The Ito

Boomer-61

Chimp
Jul 17, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Quarter pound? The K's are a quarter pound heavier than the puro's? That's a big difference. Did you mean to say a quarter of an ounce? That's not a big enough difference to pay top dollar for and would be logical to go with the K series. The performance issue between both models is good information to know. Thanks.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Magura Martas with some bolts swapped out are still lighter than the Oro Puro brakes.

Haven't ridden the Formulas but I've get a set on the way to try.

ito

Oct 3, 2003
Boomer-61 said:
Quarter pound? The K's are a quarter pound heavier than the puro's? That's a big difference. Did you mean to say a quarter of an ounce? That's not a big enough difference to pay top dollar for and would be logical to go with the K series. The performance issue between both models is good information to know. Thanks.
Well, for a front and rear the K24's are a 100g heavier, which is .22 pounds. So ya, about a quarter pound difference. Of course, that is assuming they weigh what people say they weigh.

The Ito

Boomer-61

Chimp
Jul 17, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Hey mike,
Have you used the Magura's? They have a good reputation and seem to be quite a bit cheaper than the Formula's. How about maintainance and pad changes?

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Boomer-61 said:
Hey mike,
Have you used the Magura's? They have a good reputation and seem to be quite a bit cheaper than the Formula's. How about maintainance and pad changes?
Yep, I've had two sets of Martas and one set of Louise FRs. All of my Magura stuff has been trouble free and I couldn't be happier with the performance. Bleeding is relatively straight forward and infrequent. For pads, Magura says to use only theirs of course but I've found the Kool Stop pads to work very well. We also sell Marta brakes because we believe in them and I can't think of a single complaint in the last year.

Magura CS is excellent if you ever need it. If you get a set, also pick up the small service kit (bleed kit basically) and you'll have enough oil, olives, and inserts to last quite a while.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Well, I think that the lowest model and some new bolts would be the best deal. Beyond that, I have had hydraulics from both Magura and from Formula.

Formula brakes are better .

ito

Oct 3, 2003
TheMontashu said:
I have the puro. They are going to be going on my DH bike. Ill post up a review in a week or so after i get 4 or 5 rides on them
Please do, I'm debating on what to get for my new XC ride and the Formulas are at the top of my list.

The Ito

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I got the bike set up yesterday, I didn't get a chance to do a real serios ride on them yet. But for being fresh out the box without braking in the pads, HOLY CRAP. They simply feel amazing.

Boomer-61

Chimp
Jul 17, 2002
Atlanta, GA
I read the reviews on the Magura brakes at MTBreview. As usual it's a mixed bag. But the one thing that seemed to be a common theme was the hassle factor in setting up and maintaining the brakes. Once they are in place they seem good to go. After reading the article in Mountain Bike Action they describe how easy the Puro's are to: install, maintain, change pads, the works. I like hassle free. I had a set of Hope m4's and the rear was golden but the front was a constant hassle. Bleeding was a pain and changing pads was a pain compared to my Avid mechanicals. I need pain free brakes. Now the issue is price, are the Puro's worth the extra beans? For you guys out there who are using them, keep the updates comming.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Boomer-61 said:
I read the reviews on the Magura brakes at MTBreview. As usual it's a mixed bag. But the one thing that seemed to be a common theme was the hassle factor in setting up and maintaining the brakes. Once they are in place they seem good to go.
They must be idiots. Shim the caliper and go. Recentering is done by slightly pushing on the rotor and lightly squeezing the brake lever.

To change pads: Pull a cotter pin and remove the pad. Insert new one and go. Only issue that I have found is that it can be difficult to get two brand new EBC green pads in at the same time.