Quantcast

OS reinstall help needed

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the new G card works w/the old router, so that's cool. i think i'll give the new router a shot after i establish the internet access direct via cable modem to the PC network card.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the journey is done; things are up.

but goddamn is setting up a wireless network a pain in the azz....i spent at least 60 min talking to some filipino woman on tech support. does ANYONE get these things working out of the box? i recall other horrors getting my other network going when i first installed it.

on the plus side, my squeezebox setup was a snap; no WEP issues either.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
but goddamn is setting up a wireless network a pain in the azz....i spent at least 60 min talking to some filipino woman on tech support. does ANYONE get these things working out of the box?
Hmm, wireless networks for me have always been a snap, just plug and go. What was wrong with it?

Glad to hear you got everything working!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
binary visions said:
Hmm, wireless networks for me have always been a snap, just plug and go. What was wrong with it?

Glad to hear you got everything working!
first issue was just unplugging the modem and selecting DHCP on the router; that got the desktop/router going fine (which was comcast help desktop, not linksys). the rest of the time was going back and forth about different profiles/channels/internet connection setup blah blah blah...i lost track of all the crap. halfway through i could ping my router but not my desktop; pinging an external IP address was half succesful (e of 4 packets lost). changed channels from 1 to 6, did some other stuff, finally i think that was the thing that worked, but i don't really know. just happy to have the thing running, my squeezebox configuration was a snap, and now i also know that at least one neighbor doesn't run encryption on their network.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Bizarre. I've had three Linksys wireless routers, 2 Linksys wireless PC cards, 1 Linksys wired router, and 2 Linksys switches, and they've been completely bulletproof and easy to set up.

Ah well, at least it's working now, right?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yep, it's going fine. next step is to try to get the old IBM Thinkpad running...to install the G notebook card, it tells me i need IE 5.5 or later. i've got IE 5 on there now. i can't find a straight .exe download from MS; all the installs seem to have to happen while you are connected to the internet (which is obviously a problem, unless i go straight from the modem or try a router port, which may or may not work). any ideas?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
narlus said:
yep, it's going fine. next step is to try to get the old IBM Thinkpad running...to install the G notebook card, it tells me i need IE 5.5 or later. i've got IE 5 on there now. i can't find a straight .exe download from MS; all the installs seem to have to happen while you are connected to the internet (which is obviously a problem, unless i go straight from the modem or try a router port, which may or may not work). any ideas?
Did you try Firefox?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
didn't need to...BV's link hooked me up w/ the file i needed, i downloaded it, moved it over to the non-connected laptop via USB drive (dreadfully slow 1.1), installed that, restarted the machine, ran the linksys pc card setup, popped the card in, and voila! instant network.

whew. this took a while but it looks like my machine is rock solid, purring nicely, and i've got everything pretty much back to where it was, and i'm now on G rather than B. nice!

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Now Narlus, after all your efforts, make your machine REALLY stable by cleaning up the services. Look at tweakXP.com for editing msconfig (Start/run/type: msconfig). Here's a few for starters you won't need to start on system startup (no particular order): Indexing Service, Messenger, QoS, Themes, Fast User Switching, IMAPI CD-Burning (if you use something else like Nero), TCP NetBIOS Helper, NetMeeting Remote Desktop, Remote Registry, Remote Desktop Help, System Restore (I've never found SysRestore to work well so I just turn mine off), Smart Card, Uninterruptible Power Supply, Wireless Zero Config (I don't have a wireless network - but for you, you might want to leave this one). When you're done here (you'll need to reboot) rt-click on MyComp and goto properties/System Restore tab and check turn off SysRestore, then Advanced tab/Performance/settings/Visual Effects tab and dot Adjust for Best performance. It'll uncheck everything. But I personally like a little bit of prettiness - check the 2nd to last one: Use drop shadows, and 6th from bottom: Smooth Edges of screen fonts. Click apply but don't leave here yet. Goto Advanced tab/Change button. Find out how much ram you have. The first field should be set to the same amout of ram you have, and the 2nd field should be exactly 3 times that number (ie - 256 & 768, or 512 & 1536). This was an old 95/98/ME trick used to stablize those OSs. Still applies to XP. Next, go all the way back to System Properties (rt clck on MyComp) and goto the Remote tab and uncheck everything in here. This will shut down services for good on remote desktop.
Lastly, goto control panel and Add/Remove programs and Add/Remove Windows Components and uncheck Messenger, and MSN crap. Also, I personally use Outlook so I uncheck Outlook Express as well. For those of you who prefer Firefox, this is a good place to uncheck IE which will allow you to delete the IE folder.
Everyone of my machines gets this treatment and they tend to stay up a lot longer and happier after. I did this in the hotel I worked at and was able to "tweak" a PII333 w/ only 128mb of ram (WAY below min specs for XP) to run w/ descent speed. You should notice a HUGE improvement in speed after these steps. And, for msconfig, you may want to experiment w/ other services. DO NOT take out:
Server, Workstation, Plug n Play, Comp Browser, DCOM Server, Windows Installer, Net Logon, Net Connex, Net Location, NT LM Security, Remote Access anything, Remote Procedure anything, Security Accounts Manager, Task Scheduler, Windows Firewall, Windows Time, Universal Plug n Play Device Host, Auto Updates, Security Center, WMI Performance, Windows Management Instrumentation, and anyting related to your anti-virus.

Edit: Sorry for the huge post, but it's worth the time... Trust me.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
nice one! where'd/how'd you find it?
I'm a bit of a Google freak, I seem to be able to locate sites that nobody else can find. I'm also a link whore and keep links to sites that I find even remotely interesting. So, between those two things, I've got a lot of good sites at my fingertips :)

Pau11y has good tips there, if you can sort through his awful post that should be cut up into paragraphs and bullited lists ;) - all of my machines get the treatment of disabling unused services

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
pau11y, thanks for the tips. here's a formatted version for people to follow:

Make your machine REALLY stable by cleaning up the services. Look at tweakXP.com for editing msconfig (Start/run/type: msconfig).

Here's a few for starters you won't need to start on system startup (no particular order):

· Indexing Service
· Messenger
· QoS
· Themes
· Fast User Switching
· IMAPI CD-Burning (if you use something else like Nero)
· TCP NetBIOS Helper
· NetMeeting Remote Desktop
· Remote Registry
· Remote Desktop Help
· System Restore (I've never found SysRestore to work well so I just turn mine off)
· Smart Card
· Uninterruptible Power Supply
· Wireless Zero Config (I don't have a wireless network - but for you, you might want to leave this one).

When you're done here (you'll need to reboot) rt-click on MyComp and go to properties/System Restore tab and check turn off SysRestore, then Advanced tab/Performance/settings/Visual Effects tab and dot Adjust for Best performance. It'll uncheck everything. But I personally like a little bit of prettiness - check the 2nd to last one: Use drop shadows, and 6th from bottom: Smooth Edges of screen fonts. Click apply but don't leave here yet.

Go to Advanced tab/Change button. Find out how much RAM you have. The first field should be set to the same amount of ram you have, and the 2nd field should be exactly 3 times that number (ie - 256 & 768, or 512 & 1536). This was an old 95/98/ME trick used to stabilize those Oss and still applies to XP. Next, go all the way back to System Properties (rt clck on MyComp) and go to the Remote tab and uncheck everything in here. This will shut down services for good on remote desktop.

Lastly, go to control panel and Add/Remove programs and Add/Remove Windows Components and uncheck Messenger, and MSN crap. Also, I personally use Outlook so I uncheck Outlook Express as well. For those of you who prefer Firefox, this is a good place to uncheck IE which will allow you to delete the IE folder.

Every one of my machines gets this treatment and they tend to stay up a lot longer and happier after. I did this in the hotel I worked at and was able to "tweak" a PII333 w/ only 128mb of ram (WAY below min specs for XP) to run w/ descent speed. You should notice a HUGE improvement in speed after these steps. And, for msconfig, you may want to experiment w/ other services. DO NOT take out:

· Server
· Workstation
· Plug n Play
· Comp Browser
· DCOM Server
· Windows Installer
· Net Logon
· Net Connex
· Net Location
· NT LM Security
· Remote Access anything
· Remote Procedure anything
· Security Accounts Manager
· Task Scheduler
· Windows Firewall
· Windows Time
· Universal Plug n Play Device Host
· Auto Updates
· Security Center
· WMI Performance
· Windows Management Instrumentation
· and anything related to your anti-virus.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BTW, narlus, Google searches will yield a TON of websites that will give you information on the remaining services. All depends on how much time you're willing to put into it, of course, but if you really want to pull a little more speed out of your machine, you can spend an hour or so reading up on services and shutting off the ones you don't need.

I also use TuneUp Utilities 2006 to clean up my machine:

http://www.tune-up.com/

There's a lot of utilities in there, give it a shot. It's a cheap purchase if you like it. The Start Up Manager is extremely useful in speeding up your machine - it analyzes your startup entries and provides suggestions on what ones you should leave on, and what ones you can safely turn off. Plus, it's just a check box so if you turn one off, reboot and find you want it, you just check the box again and you're back in business.

The registry cleaner and registry compacter both work well, and the disk cleaner is nice. It offers lots of good suggestions on what settings might be slowing down your computer, as well, but be careful with the settings regarding your internet connection speed. I was using 2003 for a while and fubar'd my settings. Fortunately, this program offers the option of setting a "rescue point" for all of your settings - so you can always undo.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Englais? I don't need no stinkin' Englais! I'm a friggin' CS major! I'm not talking Englais well now, and in the future, I won't need any more of it since I'll be talking computernese!
Hey BV, I was privied to a clue on bio-computing using DNA strands (aka physical computing, vs linear computing of the toys we use now). This dude hard codes DNA strands w/ problems and "grows" the answers in some sort of bio bath. He's had several successes! There's a book about this I need to get my grubby little hands on...I think it's called Biomimicry... forgot by who tho...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
thanks again for everyone's help...it's nice to have a stable PC again. :D

btw, i haven't done Pau11y's tweaks yet, but they are in the plan.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
narlus said:
thanks again for everyone's help...it's nice to have a stable PC again. :D

btw, i haven't done Pau11y's tweaks yet, but they are in the plan.
How's the system I spec'd as far as speed, etc?

I'm currently looking at a budget system right now. I'm trying to see if I can put a viable machine together that will plow through Photoshop and have decent gaming performance for about $600.

I'm actually coming in around $500 if I re-use some stuff.

:D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The system I spec'd is somewhat similar to the one you spec'd in terms of the level of components (comperable video cards, RAM, etc.) and is really great for those two purposes: Photoshop CS2, and rounds of Unreal Tournament 2004 & Doom 3.

I've got it overclocked about 400mhz, and the video card overclocked as well, and even at that the whole system runs almost no warmer than stock.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
H8R said:
How's the system I spec'd as far as speed, etc?
there were a couple of anomalies on the 1st go-round, mainly around internet web page loadings. i tinhk it was linked to firewall configuration issues. i disabled the nVIDIA firewall and just use the windows firewall too. i also don't run the panda firewall whcih came w/ the AV software.

i may spring for another 1GB of RAM because some of the apps i run on a frequent basis (slimserver, iTunes) take a lot of memory because of the big database (~80,000 songs).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
i may spring for another 1GB of RAM because some of the apps i run on a frequent basis (slimserver, iTunes) take a lot of memory because of the big database (~80,000 songs).
Just FYI, your RAM is going to be noticably slower if you simply throw two more sticks in there and fill up your 4 slots. You'll get a pretty large performance increase if you pull the two 512s you have now, sell 'em on eBay, and pick up two dual channel 1gbs.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Pau11y said:
Dude, w/ that much music, you should hook us all up w/ a FTP account to leech off of you. I've got roughly 37K tracks, and a lot of them can be deleted. How about it maing? :D
:sneaky:

you familiar w/ DC++? there are a few private hubs i'm on (but not as admin, so i would have to ask if you want to join).

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
binary visions said:
Just FYI, your RAM is going to be noticably slower if you simply throw two more sticks in there and fill up your 4 slots. You'll get a pretty large performance increase if you pull the two 512s you have now, sell 'em on eBay, and pick up two dual channel 1gbs.
really? why would that be?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
binary visions said:
The system I spec'd is somewhat similar to the one you spec'd in terms of the level of components (comperable video cards, RAM, etc.) and is really great for those two purposes: Photoshop CS2, and rounds of Unreal Tournament 2004 & Doom 3.

I've got it overclocked about 400mhz, and the video card overclocked as well, and even at that the whole system runs almost no warmer than stock.

Here's what I'm looking at right now:

Asus A8N-VM CSM socket 939 6150/430 mobo (decent onboard video to hold me over till I get a PCIe card later)

Athlon 64 3200+

Corsair Value Ram 2 X 512mb

Hitachi Deskstar 80gb SATAII drive.

My old 60gb drive as secondary

NEC dvd writer

My Antec SLK1650B case, maybe a new PSU added.

All in so far: approx $450

:D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
really? why would that be?
I guess I should have said, it could be a problem, and in theory will be slower. The actual performance hit will vary.

Motherboards run 2 sticks of dual channel memory at the fastest speed the motherboard can support (let's say, for example, 400mhz). When you install a third or a fourth stick, many motherboards drop the speed a little bit since they're accessing more channels - so, you may be getting 333mhz, or slower.

That may be in your motherboard manual, actually, so check it out.

Of course, the theoretical part of it is that accessing 2 channels should always be faster than accessing 4 channels. The actual performance hit might not be that great, I've never done back-to-back testing of it, but anecdotes seem to indicate that it is in fact slower for most setups - there are exceptions, though.

Anything that's 2gb of the same RAM, and stating it supports dual channels, will work fine. If you want to stick with Geil, you can go this route, but Geil is neither an outstanding nor a bad brand so there's no reason you couldn't look elsewhere to save money or spend a little more to gain performance.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
binary visions said:
I guess I should have said, it could be a problem, and in theory will be slower. The actual performance hit will vary.

Motherboards run 2 sticks of dual channel memory at the fastest speed the motherboard can support (let's say, for example, 400mhz). When you install a third or a fourth stick, many motherboards drop the speed a little bit since they're accessing more channels - so, you may be getting 333mhz, or slower.

That may be in your motherboard manual, actually, so check it out.

Of course, the theoretical part of it is that accessing 2 channels should always be faster than accessing 4 channels. The actual performance hit might not be that great, I've never done back-to-back testing of it, but anecdotes seem to indicate that it is in fact slower for most setups - there are exceptions, though.

Anything that's 2gb of the same RAM, and stating it supports dual channels, will work fine. If you want to stick with Geil, you can go this route, but Geil is neither an outstanding nor a bad brand so there's no reason you couldn't look elsewhere to save money or spend a little more to gain performance.
Look for lower CAS latency RAM also if you want a slight nudge in speed when running apps that address the memory frequently. (games, repetitive P-Shop batches, etc.)

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Hehehe.. I got my dirty little hands on some 2-2-2-5s from Coarsair. When I load all 4 slots, the system changes from T1 to T2, and it does "feel" slower.
Oh BTW H8R, I found a guy on Anandtech selling an Opteron 165 full retail for $335.00. They're going for $299.00 OEM on the Egg so I think the extra $35.00 will be worth the HS/fan and the 3 year warranty. It's from a batch number where ppl are hitting 3ghz (that's like 160% above stock speeds! FACK!)

Edit: oh btw H8R, you might want to go up juuuuust a hair from the 3000+ to a 3700+ and get the full mb of L2 vs 512k.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Pau11y said:
Hehehe.. I got my dirty little hands on some 2-2-2-5s from Coarsair. When I load all 4 slots, the system changes from T1 to T2, and it does "feel" slower.
Oh BTW H8R, I found a guy on Anandtech selling an Opteron 165 full retail for $335.00. They're going for $299.00 OEM on the Egg so I think the extra $35.00 will be worth the HS/fan and the 3 year warranty. It's from a batch number where ppl are hitting 3ghz (that's like 160% above stock speeds! FACK!)

Edit: oh btw H8R, you might want to go up juuuuust a hair from the 3000+ to a 3700+ and get the full mb of L2 vs 512k.
I'm working on less-than-shoestring budgeting right now.

But yeah, considering 939 will be old news in a year I should get a proc that will die with the mobo, as upgrades will be had in the M2 platform when they kick 939 and 754 to the curb.