Quantcast

Oscillating cutting tools

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Fein are the best machines imo.
Their blades are heinously priced though so we use Rockwell or other generics, they fit.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

I've got the dremmel and my only issue is that it lacks power when doing long cuts. Just last week I was cutting a square in 5/8" MDF and it was struggling. It gets the job done and it's cheap, but the bits/blades are more expensive than the Bosch.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I have a corded Bosch, and its a wonderful little machine I wouldn't trade for the world; there are just some places where they are indispensable. Cordless would be nice, but im a bit of a curmudgeon and despise the idea of a tool becoming obsolete due to an outdated battery standard.

Like @dan-o said, the Fein is probably tops, but I don't know if you'll give anything up if you get one from any of the major brands.

Buying name brand blades is a racket, but they do perform better. IMO not that much better to justify the premium, but that's your prerogative.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
If you have good cordless tools already (not Ryobi or Kobalt), I'd go with the same brand as whatever you've got. Otherwise, probably grab a cheap corded unit, there's bound to be on on sale today.

Only things that set one apart from another IMO, and blade release, and LED light. The quick release blade change is nice, and the LEDs are a life saver in tight spaces.

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
When I did my home flooring job (2k+ sq/ft) I went with good old Harbor Freight Chicago Electric corded model. It did the job and still runs strong when I use it which is not often. The blades were also purchased from HF. I could not justify paying for a premium brand when I knew I would not be using this tool on a daily basis. I got my $20 dollars worth and am happy with the work it did.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Don’t have one myself but did a lot of research on them and Fein is the original oscillating tool. Bosch are also very good as well. Both have attachments for dust extraction. And corded of course.

Blown240

Monkey
Nov 19, 2013
I have one of the $32 corded ones from Amazon. Its actually put up with a lot of abuse. For sure with the $32.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Will you use it much? If you buy something decent it will most probably have the motor isolated from the body so you won't get hand numbness as quickly.
I have mostly Fein cordless tools but I have a Hitachi corded oscillator as it is deemed a novelty tool and didn't see the point wasting money on one.

35minutes of AVE's usual mumblings aboot a bean tickler-