Quantcast

OT: MX - Ernesto Fonseca severely injured

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
This is off topic, but i know there are a lot of moto fans in here. I didn't want to post anything until the info was confirmed (which it more or less was on RaxerXill.com yesterday)

The industry was rocked today by the news that Team Honda's Ernesto Fonseca crashed while preparing for the Daytona Supercross at a test track in California. There has been a lot of information and misinformation floating around, but here's the deal: Ernesto landed on his head and broke the C-7 vertebra in his back, which is approximately at mid-chest level. His spinal cord was "bent" but not severed. Doctors have stabilized him and are puting a halo on Ernesto in hopes that it will help him regain full function. He is in serious condition, and the doctors feel that the next 24 to 48 hours are critical for his long-term health.

Please keep Ernesto in your thoughts and prayers as this situation develops.

pZyteX

Monkey
Jan 28, 2003
Amsterdam
damn, I just watched the indy supercross this afternoon (not aired on tv, so have to download it) he was doing so well.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Damn, that's terrible....just recently a girl on my college's ski team was paralyzed from the waist down because of a crash at a race (flew off course and hit an unpadded part of a lift tower). Really awful stuff.

mxer338

Monkey
May 9, 2005
CT
damn, ill always remember when i met ernie in the pits at the 'wick, such a nice guy hope he heals up

Langer

Monkey
Mar 27, 2004
Hiding
I think its ironic he landed on another racer earlier this year and paralyzed him. I hope they both recover.

Edit - I should have posted " Fonseca was in a wreck earlier this year with another rider who had injuries to his spinal cord."

SPrider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
that sucks, this guy was gettin some holeshots too and comin strong for the 06' season, hopefully he recovers

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Langer said:
I think its ironic he landed on another racer earlier this year and paralyzed him. I hope they both recover.
Quotes like this really suck for the friends and families of the people injured.
James Marshall who crashed at San Diego supercross was injured upon landing head first into the face of a jump, Ernie later rolled over him AFTER he was injured. James Marshall is also NOT paralyzed and is getting better daily, but he still needs hope and prayer, but for someone to be spreading bull**** rumors is pretty hurtful to his family. Ernies injury right now is technically 'worse' than James' was so we are really hoping Ernie makes progress in the coming days.

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
stiksandstones said:
Quotes like this really suck for the friends and families of the people injured.
James Marshall who crashed at San Diego supercross was injured upon landing head first into the face of a jump, Ernie later rolled over him AFTER he was injured. James Marshall is also NOT paralyzed and is getting better daily, but he still needs hope and prayer, but for someone to be spreading bull**** rumors is pretty hurtful to his family. Ernies injury right now is technically 'worse' than James' was so we are really hoping Ernie makes progress in the coming days.
I wish the best for both, and I have been thinking and praying for them since their accidents.

How are Ernie's injuries worse? JM severed his spinal cord, Ernie's was only bent. I'm asking b/c I want to know, not questioning anyone's knowledge.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
ekozy39 said:
I wish the best for both, and I have been thinking and praying for them since their accidents.

How are Ernie's injuries 'worse'? JM severed his spinal cord, Ernie's was only bent. I'm asking b/c I want to know, not questioning anyone's knowledge.
Here is how I came up with the 'worse' comment...Our store manager is Kristi Button, her husband is Jimmy Button who had a severe moto injury in SD in 98' I think (forget year)...He is also Ernies former agent and they are friends with Ernie and his wife, Anyway, Jimmy did the EXACT same thing Marshall did and in fact was the one who was at the hospital for days convincing him that the surgery (same one Jimmy had) was best (to have the rods put in)...It is my understanding from those guys that you do not have to sever your spinal cord to not 'walk' again, bending can be just as bad so I am told. Bad analogy but it is like the words when someone dislocates their wrist, but did not 'break' it, well the dislocated could be worse.

I do not want to say I know more, because I do not, only thing that matters is Ernie needs help from whatever it is you do to wish people healing...its a bad time, confusing time and can not ever imagine what he is going through.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
stiksandstones said:
I agree. It’s not unusual for a rider, who has crashed, to be hit by another rider on the track—it’s like 4X and BMX—riders have a tendency to tangle together. It’s not as if Ernesto was riding dirty or hit James on purpose; it was an accident and part of racing.

I’m glad to hear James is recovering, and I hope Ernesto will also make a speedy and complete recovery…

I don’t think it’s fair to say that Ernesto caused James’ injury; there is no way anyone can point fingers that way. With that logic, you can blame the people who built the track, James’ mechanic, the dirt, etc.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
blt2ride said:
I agree. It’s not unusual for a rider, who has crashed, to be hit by another rider on the track—it’s like 4X and BMX—riders have a tendency to tangle together......
exactly..if there is one thing riders cannot do in moto...it's travel in a straight line...ever...

Bati

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Santiago - Chile
stiksandstones said:
... and don't care who crashes who if it's clean and at a race. Best wishes for all.

Langer

Monkey
Mar 27, 2004
Hiding
stiksandstones said:
Hey ***hole, not trying to start any crap. I'm bringing attention to what had happened earlier in the season. Sorry my statement wasnt better worded (Ironic : meaning related:rolleyes: ) but the tv footage of the incident looked pretty bad when Ernesto Fonseca "rolled over him" on the face of the landing for the triple. I havent seen any updates on James Marshall lately and the last one that I saw on RacerX didnt sound as positive as your post. I think its great that he is recovering.

Hopefully there will be some positive news about Fonseca too.

Both riders have my prayers.