Quantcast

OT: san diego area rock climbers?

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
howdy,.. this is a bit off topic, but i was wondering if anyone here in the San Diego area was a rock climber, or was intersted in starting it up. I've kinda got the itch to start it up, but i know you kinda need to have a partner to get rolling. I stopped by the local gym in San Marcos & they suggested to bring a friend... but no one i know is really into it (all my friends who were have moved out of state)

anyway, hollar at me if anyone's up for it.

Dylan

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
I don't know much about the San Diego area, but if you ever get up into the Ventura/SB area, or feel like heading out to J-tree one weekend, let me know. I'll be happy to head out climbing with you. I've got plenty of extra gear, too. All you need is a pair of shoes.

I don't know if there's any sport routes to the south of me between LA and San Diego, but if there are then I'd be game for heading south a bit to climb. I'll look into it a bit.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
I don't know much about the San Diego area, but if you ever get up into the Ventura/SB area, or feel like heading out to J-tree one weekend, let me know. I'll be happy to head out climbing with you. I've got plenty of extra gear, too. All you need is a pair of shoes.

I don't know if there's any sport routes to the south of me between LA and San Diego, but if there are then I'd be game for heading south a bit to climb. I'll look into it a bit.
i keep hearing of cool spots here... but since i'm new to it, i really have no clue. i've got a couple of older friends who used to do it when the lived here... but i think they'd always venture off to J-tree as well.

i'd definately be down to cruise north... but since i'm practically brand new to it... i figure i'd better get some climbs/lessons/whatever before i hit up anything technical

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
I am doing a rock climbing class for college next semester to burn up some credits
damn... wish my local college offered it.

how old are you? i've got a frriend who's into it, and i'll go along as a beginner if you're not too hardcore. peace
i'm 29....damn i'm getting old! lol

oh i'm a complete beginner... that's why i'm looking for others to start up

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
damn... wish my local college offered it.

i'm 29....damn i'm getting old! lol

oh i'm a complete beginner... that's why i'm looking for others to start up
Was it rock solid gym or whatever it's called in SM? I've climbed there a couple times... It's a blast and probably the most intense forearm/hand/calf workout i've ever had. My arms and legs were shaking withing 10 minutes of climbing...

I'd be down to try it out. I've got a friend who's done it a bit more and I'm not totally clear on the rope techniques and stuff but you just piqued my interest...

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Mission Gorge has pretty much everything you could want. There's a short hike in, easy to technical climbs, and about 70-80% are set up to top rope.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
Was it rock solid gym or whatever it's called in SM? I've climbed there a couple times... It's a blast and probably the most intense forearm/hand/calf workout i've ever had. My arms and legs were shaking withing 10 minutes of climbing...

I'd be down to try it out. I've got a friend who's done it a bit more and I'm not totally clear on the rope techniques and stuff but you just piqued my interest...
yep, that was it. i stopped by there the other night. cool little set up... but kinda empty (no one there), when i went.... so i would be reluctant to think i'd be able to partner up w/ someone there out of the blue.
haha... yah, i can imagine.

yah, i'm not quite clear on technique either (as i've only climbed once long ago). hollar at me if you're ever interested in goin... i'll give u a shout as well.

Mission Gorge has pretty much everything you could want. There's a short hike in, easy to technical climbs, and about 70-80% are set up to top rope.
that's right.... forgot about that place... funny since it was the only placed i had climbed! lol

SoCal Life

Chimp
Nov 30, 2006
San Diego

Yeah, it's called Solid Rock Gym. It's a pretty nice indoor rock gym. They have one in San Marcos the street just east of Nordahl, another in Poway, and one downtown. Here's the link: www.solidrockgym.com.

I like to rock climb but I fvcked up my knee and don't think that I'm ready to start climbing yet.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
i keep hearing of cool spots here... but since i'm new to it, i really have no clue. i've got a couple of older friends who used to do it when the lived here... but i think they'd always venture off to J-tree as well.

i'd definately be down to cruise north... but since i'm practically brand new to it... i figure i'd better get some climbs/lessons/whatever before i hit up anything technical
how old are you? i've got a frriend who's into it, and i'll go along as a beginner if you're not too hardcore. peace
I'm not too hardcore, I enjoy the easier days with a couple tough runs thrown in a lot more than I do the projecting just one tough line for weeks. I've actually done some guiding before, and I've taught climbing to younger kids and sorority girls. I can get just about anyone up a rock.

If you have shoes, I have everything else you'll need to climb all day.

I'm always down to head out - hit me up with a PM if you guys ever want to go. That goes for anyone reading this. Sundays typically work best for me.

rowdstar

Chimp
Oct 26, 2006
san diego
the thread in the lounge titled "another hobby of mine" shows more wall pictures. but still, im down for any monkeys to come over and climb.
santee has good bouldering, mt woodson has hard climbing, mission trails has good stuff. good bouldering out east county.

again, let me know!!!!

rowdstar

Chimp
Oct 26, 2006
san diego
when the east coast gets yosemite, joshua tree, red rocks, city of rocks, moab and smith rock, call me. :monkeydance:

all in good fun. the gunks are nice.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
I just scored a set of cams and hexes - so if anyone wants to go trad climbing, I'm down for that now, too.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
If you come up to SB, I know a really good bouldering spot and a place with some anchors to setup ropes.

I did climbing with my highschool (that I went to for a year). We took trips to Joshua Tree which is really fun. I wish you could ride there...

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
If you come up to SB, I know a really good bouldering spot and a place with some anchors to setup ropes.

I did climbing with my highschool (that I went to for a year). We took trips to Joshua Tree which is really fun. I wish you could ride there...
I went up to SB to Painted Cave and climbed up there a bit last weekend. It was pretty cool. Point Dume is still my favorite crag in the area that I've climbed thus far. I took a nice 20' lead fall there yesterday over the crashing surf. Can't beat that.

Where is it that you're talking about?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
That sounds gnarly. I was talking about Lizards Mouth and Fire Crags (up painted cave rd). There's really nutty climb on the way to tunnel. Last time, I was going up there, I saw a guy walk over the wall/cliff with a watermelon. :rofl:

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
alright! got my new rock climbing shoes..... now let's climb somewhere!!
What shoes did you get? I'm probably going to pick up a new pair this weekend.

I'm planning on heading up to the rock this Sunday, let me know if you want to go. I'm not sure where I'm heading - last weekend was damn-near perfect at Point Dume, but I kinda want to try out somewhere new.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
What shoes did you get? I'm probably going to pick up a new pair this weekend.

I'm planning on heading up to the rock this Sunday, let me know if you want to go. I'm not sure where I'm heading - last weekend was damn-near perfect at Point Dume, but I kinda want to try out somewhere new.
picked up a set of five ten gambit...
not used to the fit of rock climbing shoes... i've got wide feet & they crunch up my toes a little...but seem that they'd be good while climbing. i also found out that my left foot is a bit bigger than my right, as it's a tighter fit there! haha

i think i'm acutally shuttling ted williams w/ some friends on sunday (or going for an xc ride...donno yet). i was also suppose to do a 1/2 marathon in the morning... but that sure as hell isn't gonna happen since i haven't been running at all lately! haha

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
it looks like Heather (Shyrmp) & i will be headed to Vertcal Hold on Tuesday at around 6pm for some climbing... we're both newbies... so we're gonna probably get a lesson first... but if any of you want to cruise over & meet up w/ us, holla back!

SoCal Life

Chimp
Nov 30, 2006
San Diego
it looks like Heather (Shyrmp) & i will be headed to Vertcal Hold on Tuesday at around 6pm for some climbing... we're both newbies... so we're gonna probably get a lesson first... but if any of you want to cruise over & meet up w/ us, holla back!

I might be down for this. I haven't climbed for over a few years, but I'd love to get back into it. Where is Vertical Hold at? And what do the lessons and climbing cost?

My knee is about 95% now and it's time to start testing it out.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
I might be down for this. I haven't climbed for over a few years, but I'd love to get back into it. Where is Vertical Hold at? And what do the lessons and climbing cost?

My knee is about 95% now and it's time to start testing it out.
it's in Mira Mesa area i guess...... pretty easy to get to
directions &/or address should be on the website
www.verticalhold.com

price is $35 per person i think... but they've got a 2 for 1 sale going on if you mention their ad in the San Diego Reader (i haven't seen it... but they asked me if i "saw it".... so i said yes)

give me a holler if you (or anyone else is down) to go

SoCal Life

Chimp
Nov 30, 2006
San Diego
it's in Mira Mesa area i guess...... pretty easy to get to
directions &/or address should be on the website
www.verticalhold.com

price is $35 per person i think... but they've got a 2 for 1 sale going on if you mention their ad in the San Diego Reader (i haven't seen it... but they asked me if i "saw it".... so i said yes)

give me a holler if you (or anyone else is down) to go
Sorry, I couldn't make it tonight. I know right where that's at, and from what I've heard, it's pretty nice.

I was a little strapped for cash this month, but I'm all good now. Hit me up whenever you are going back, and I'll join you.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
Sorry, I couldn't make it tonight. I know right where that's at, and from what I've heard, it's pretty nice.

I was a little strapped for cash this month, but I'm all good now. Hit me up whenever you are going back, and I'll join you.
no worries at all... i actually didn't get there til 7:30pm as my truck broke down in the middle of the freeway... luckily i had enough speed & was able to roll down the offramp.. damnit... i JUST got it back from the shop!

it ended up being just me & Heather (Shrymp). had a ton of fun! yeah, the place is probably the best around here... the guy working that night said he's worked at others & decided to work here as it's much better... still the other gyms would be fun for novice people like us i'm sure.

don't worry about the lessons for next time.. it was super basic - good for us since we didn't have anyone to show us...but it's easy (even for us newbies) to show others the basics.

I'm sure we'll be going again soon.. i'll make a post later... feel free to drop us a line if you want to go as well. i've usually got a weird schedule... so it's different week to week (other than school)

Tons of fun! we should get a group goin!