Quantcast

OT-Snowboarder Survives 100+ Foot Fall at Alpental

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest' started by Borregokid, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Borregokid

Borregokid Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    On Sunday afternoon a 21 year old boarder went over the International Cliff at Alpental. According to the news accounts he fell between 100 and 300 feet or the equivalant distance of falling from a 20 story building. He was airlifted to Harborview where he was listed as critical. I have heard on TV since that he had regained consciousness and was listed as serious condition. Hopefully he is able to make a full recovery it sounds like he really lucked out.

I am kind of curious since he was in the out of bounds ski area would he have intentionally gone over the cliff and tried a jump like in the Banff Film Festival or Warren Miller Films or do you think he was over his head and was maybe looking for a shortcut down and slid over the cliff? So far this year two snowboarders have been killed.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. biggins

biggins Rump Junkie

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    wow between 100 and 300 feet huh? if they had russ morrell and thor wixom there they could have triangulated the distance for him.

3. Heidi

Heidi Der hund ist laut und braun

Rep/Likes:
    25 / 317
    Yah, I'd guess it was a total accident and he wasn't trying to go big, who knows though. That had to be an expensive bill.

4. Borregokid

Borregokid Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    The helicopter bill is probably about 9k or so. He was unconscious so he didnt have to worry about the copter hitting the mountain on the way out. Two of the Airlift copters have crased in the last three months, plus getting out of Alpental must be kind of scary with mountains on three side. Heres a link on the snowboarder.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/5575342/detail.html

5. fuzzycatnuts

fuzzycatnuts Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I strange, a few people die every year skiiing/boarding but its to much of a risk to have a bike park. I guess freeriding is going to have to get popular enough to pay the high insurance bills. I wonder what the diffeance between bike park and and snow park is as far as insurance cost.

6. Transfer

Transfer Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Good point. How many die at Whistler per year? I suppose an argument can be made that most (if not all) of the people that die each year skiing/boarding are out of bounds.

7. Bullitrider

Bullitrider Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Meh...that cliff claims somebody every year. They should call that area "The Cliffs of Darwin".

8. pnj

pnj Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings

Rep/Likes:
    12 / 40
    are those cliffs on the left side if your going down the mountain?

someone dies up there every year. one death so far already....

that's a dangerous place for sure. even inbounds can get nutty if your not paying attention.

9. Borneo

Borneo Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    We rode right by the patrollers and the sled at the bottom of Adrenaline right after they bundled him up Sunday afternoon about 2. So, he did not go over the front cliffs.
    We're thinking that he ducked the rope at the lower entrance to Internationale to get around some exposed rocks and slid right over Keyhole and down into Adrenaline. Not surprising that one doesn't happen more often with people slippin' into 'nash that way pretty often. He's lucky he's still alive.

10. geargrrl

geargrrl Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 1
    ( from the link)

D'oh, people think that they mark stuff closed for no good reason...:nope:

gg

11. pnj

pnj Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings

Rep/Likes:
    12 / 40
    I don't think people really know just how dangerous it can be up there. if they came from summit west, where the entire hill is basicly a bunny hill, I can see how someone who's new could get in way over their head up there.

12. geargrrl

geargrrl Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 1
    I don't know alpental at all.. but my hubby and both my sons are ski patrollers, and they have to deal with the dumbass things that people sometimes do, and the sometimes life threating consequences that can follow.

13. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    180 / 1,326
    i was there about that time, too, and slid right by the patrollers on my face :eek: . it was slick out there up on the shady side of the edelweiss chair.

14. fattyfat1

fattyfat1 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    aren't you still at work at 3:51 Michael lawrence! WHAT WOULD YOUR EMPLOYER THINK IF HE/SHE KNEW YOU WERE CHATTING ONLINE DURING THIS BUSY CHRISTMAS RUSH! GET BACK TO WORK!

15. thesacrifice

thesacrifice Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    please let me get knocked out on impact if something similiar ever happens to me, that has to be the scariest couple seconds of your life