Quantcast

other site/s & carbon fork question

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
First, is there another forum, sites, that cater solely to roadies with a rich selection of for sale ads? I'm contemplating on buying a (used) frameset and custom building it or just go Performance and grab a mid level model on sale.. options.

Do most european frames have different BB shell thread than US-Taiwan frames? Or they all fall within the same standards and the italian thread thingie is just a nostalgic stuff? I like the luster of european road frames (as in MTB frames as well).

Lastly, how old can a carbon fork get before it becomes a safety issue? (Either carbon with alum steerer or carbon-carbon).

Oz

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Orvan said:
Lastly, how old can a carbon fork get before it becomes a safety issue? (Either carbon with alum steerer or carbon-carbon).

Oz

I read somewhere the other day that they should be replaced after 5 years.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
depends on the company with the threading there orrrrrvvvvv. i'm positive de rosa is still using Eye_Tian threading. whose's ya lookin at so far?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Orvan said:
First, is there another forum, sites, that cater solely to roadies with a rich selection of for sale ads? I'm contemplating on buying a (used) frameset and custom building it or just go Performance and grab a mid level model on sale.. options.

Do most european frames have different BB shell thread than US-Taiwan frames? Or they all fall within the same standards and the italian thread thingie is just a nostalgic stuff? I like the luster of european road frames (as in MTB frames as well).

Oz
Most Euro companies use English BB's now, but don't make that assumption. Italian threading was popular in the 90's, but you won't see French unless you visit another decade.

With anything carbon, wear and tear is the issue. Crashes, big guys, rough riding all factor in. Unfortunately, all you can do is a visual inspection...

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
indieboy said:
depends on the company with the threading there orrrrrvvvvv. i'm positive de rosa is still using Eye_Tian threading. whose's ya lookin at so far?
Yes, De Rosas are Italian threaded - 70mm bb shell width vs 68 and standard threading, not reverse, on the drive side cup.