Quantcast

Ouachita lodging

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Anyone got advice about where to stay for the Ouachita Challenge? I was in Mena last year, but Mt Ida will save some driving time so I aim to stay there this year. N8, weren't you bitching about your motel last year? Can't find the post, but I did find one where you stayed at the Royal Oak. What's that place like? Anyone else got info to share?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I stayed at a sh!t-hole in Mt. Ida... the Mt Ida Inn was the name of the place.

The Royal Inn in Mt. Ida is a nice place and that is where I should have stayed last year had I known better.

I know people who always stay at the Bunkhouse and they say it's adequate.

If I had thought about it more, I might have stayed in Mena, AR instead of Mt. Ida. It's a little farther but not much from Oden.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
For those wondering what we're talking about:

http://www.ouachitachallenge.com/

Wooglin: Are you doing the tour or the race?

Are you doing it on SS like those mad cats from AR & MO? :dead:

The course is going to be freekin' brutal this year it sounds like since it is the reverse of last year's. That means all that climbing and rock gardens are in the last 30 miles....

:dead::dead:

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Thanks N8! :thumb: I remember you bitching last year in your ride report, but couldn't find it here. The Royal Oak it is. I'm riding Saturday, and of course I'll be SSing it. Is there any other way? :cool:

Yeah, I saw they reversed the course for the tour (but not the race). Pretty bogus I think, but I guess I understand why. Can't have the tour riders discomfited early on and bailing before they get to the good stuff now, can we? I mean, what if they didn't come back? :nopity:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
wooglin said:
Thanks N8! :thumb: I remember you bitching last year in your ride report, but couldn't find it here. The Royal Oak it is. I'm riding Saturday, and of course I'll be SSing it. Is there any other way? :cool:

Yeah, I saw they reversed the course for the tour (but not the race). Pretty bogus I think, but I guess I understand why. Can't have the tour riders discomfited early on and bailing before they get to the good stuff now, can we? I mean, what if they didn't come back? :nopity:

HAHA! The good thing about last year's course was that once (ok, IF) you survived the first 30 miles and Suck Mountain, the last 30 was sweet!

Mad-mad props to anyone doing the OC on a SS.... In last year's race I think the top SS finisher was only an hour behind the fastest geared finisher. And was 32nd out of a total field of 136.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
N8 said:
Mad-mad props to anyone doing the OC on a SS.... In last year's race I think the top SS finisher was only an hour behind the fastest geared finisher. And was 32nd out of a total field of 136.
On a rigid bike. And he hadn't been training. And he'd ridden it the year before on a cross bike. Fixed no less.

Yes, he's a sick pup.

I'm pretty sure I was the only SS there on Saturday last year, amongst a heap of 5x5 couch bikes.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
N8 said:
It looks like there is still a good chance to get a spot this year (at least as of the 6th of Jan).
That list is from the day after registration opened. I'm sure they got more over the weekend. Hopefully mine will be there today.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
This isn't good. But it does explain why the registration page is down and the list of registrants isn't being updated.

"We have had a conflict of dates with the Forest Service we are working
on a satifactory resolution for both parties. We should know by today
what that resolution is going to be. We will send out an email as soon
as we know. We are working as fast as we can with the Forest Service to
resolve this issue.

Best Regards

Ouachita Cycling Club"

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
wooglin said:
This isn't good. But it does explain why the registration page is down and the list of registrants isn't being updated.

"We have had a conflict of dates with the Forest Service we are working
on a satifactory resolution for both parties. We should know by today
what that resolution is going to be. We will send out an email as soon
as we know. We are working as fast as we can with the Forest Service to
resolve this issue.

Best Regards

Ouachita Cycling Club"
I was just looking for this thead to post that...

I hope it works out. It's tough setting up dates that won't conflict with TMBRA's and AR's racing schedules.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Yo Wooglin... I am not making it this year. I've got too many irons in the fire.

Good luck on Blowout Mt at the end of the ride... :dead:

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
N8 said:
Yo Wooglin... I am not making it this year. I've got too many irons in the fire.
A likely story.... :)

Judging from this thread, and the pics thread on the South board, no one down here really likes to pedal. Bummer. :blah:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
wooglin said:
A likely story.... :)

Judging from this thread, and the pics thread on the South board, no one down here really likes to pedal. Bummer. :blah:

Haha! Well, our local bikey club will be representin'... I think there are 8 or so folks headed up there for the Tour.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
The Toninator said:
is it me or is the race just the tour backwards?
Yup. They reversed the routes to put the ugly stuff at the end of the tour so the folks that don't/can't finish the whole thing will still get to ride the good stuff. Kinda pisses me off actually. Last year both courses were the same as this year's race course.