Quantcast

Out of the box cruiser questions? The Perv

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
Ok. I just got my new 24 cruiser. Perv Lewd 24 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=16337

Came in a box and I had to put some of it together, inculding the Oryg detangler. What a nightmare. What with that and the U-brake, I can't get it set up ( I'm old school and this is my first bmx type in 20 years)....
Anyway, does anyone even use these gyro detangler things? I mean, it's kinda cool if i can get it to work. I used to be into all kinds of flatland stuff too. But mostly I just want it to jump on.

Think I need to replace the u-brake too?

Also the bike came with pegs. They are both the same size, although the back axel is 14mm and the front 3/8. You think it's gonna be ok on the front?.They are the regular slip on pegs, not screw. I'd like to try some grinds. Never tried them before.

Apart from that the bike is really sweet and feels and looks great. Rode it over the bmx track without brakes.
I'd like to write up more about this bike after I've rode it awhile. I think a good addition to 24 street cruisers.
Thanks for any advice guys.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Most people are not running gyro's even with b-spins, etc. For flatland, I'd say use one for sure. But to yank it off, you're going to need to get a new piece of housing and cable and run it straight to the straddle cable. You should be fine with pegs on a 3/8 for the front. Thats what most people seem to run on 20's anymore... HOWEVER the axle may not be of the highest quality... sooo it might still bend.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Ok. I just got my new 24 cruiser. Perv Lewd 24 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=16337

Came in a box and I had to put some of it together, inculding the Oryg detangler. What a nightmare. What with that and the U-brake, I can't get it set up ( I'm old school and this is my first bmx type in 20 years)....
Anyway, does anyone even use these gyro detangler things? I mean, it's kinda cool if i can get it to work. I used to be into all kinds of flatland stuff too. But mostly I just want it to jump on.

Think I need to replace the u-brake too?

Also the bike came with pegs. They are both the same size, although the back axel is 14mm and the front 3/8. You think it's gonna be ok on the front?.They are the regular slip on pegs, not screw. I'd like to try some grinds. Never tried them before.

Apart from that the bike is really sweet and feels and looks great. Rode it over the bmx track without brakes.
I'd like to write up more about this bike after I've rode it awhile. I think a good addition to 24 street cruisers.
Thanks for any advice guys.
1. Gyro/Oryg's can be dialed in really well. Good if you're gonna do barspins or tailwhips. The key is to FILL the inside of the housing with a lubricant like Tri-Flow. Drip it in until it comes out the other side. Seriously.
2. 990 style brakes work great. not sure what you mean by "u" brakes--do you mean regular old style caliper brakes? those generally suck, but occasionally can also be dialed in to work well.
3. Screw-on pegs died in 1990 with the invention of bolt on Havok pegs. You should be fine with pegs on 3/8 axle in front (as other poster said) IF it is a hardened axle. If you bend it, it is most likely replaceable, so don't worry about it.

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
I've read mixed things about the gyro/orygs. A lot of folk tell you to take it off, including the guys in the bike shop i visited. But quite a few people say they work really well, or even better than single cable. I'm gonna try it out for awhile.
Do you know if i can drip the lube in the cables without taking them off the brake? I'm not keen to disconect them. Not until i've ridden the bike for a week anyway. Don't want to spend days trying to put it together again instead of riding.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
You should be able to get a 14mm to 3/8ths adapter for the front peg. Maybe not necessary, but will keep it from moving around. Your local shop probably has one lying around.

sixgun_sound

Monkey
Sep 24, 2007
Yakima, WA
Yeah, it seemed like the first few responses missed the point of the peg question. I'd think you'd be fine to run a 14mm peg on the 3/8" front axle. Just make sure you have the bike upside down when you tighten it, that way it will be resting against the axle in the right position for grinds.

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
I was going to have the bike shop do it as they had a socket wrench, but they said I'm missing that adaptor and wouldn't fit it. The pegs came with the bike but are both the same size, but I guess I'm missing a piece.