Quantcast

Outboard Bearing w/BMX spindle Instructions

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
So after not being happy with the bearings in euro BBs with 19mm spindles I came up with this. I know there were some other options, but this comes straight out of the parts book, all be it a couple of them.

The problem(smaller bearing to the right):

The parts:

Finished:

The parts needed for this are:
BB-1000 from FSA
19MM spindle(pick one...)
Tube spacer for 19mm spindle(I ordered a few, this one was from profile)

Youll also need to trim about 1mm or so from the bearing caps(plastic part on both bearings) Its slightly too long and prevents the tube spacer from sitting squarely against the inboard sides of the inner bearing races.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
So the FSA bb is 19mm from the get go, or did you have to switch the bearing out? Its a pretty neat idea, there was a guy selling spacers to use shimano BBs for the same thing at one stage. The only issue I can see you have is chainline? What bike is it going on?

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
nice alternative! crafty, man!

still dig my fly cups, but if you don't have the means of getting some, that looks to be the go to set-up for us stuck with a euro bb shell...

Keep your eyes open for another dedicated alternative using spanish bearings to hit the streets very soon! ;)

How much do they stick out past the edge of the bb shell? is it beyond 10mm on each side? Those FSA bearings still look a little bit smaller than even a spanish bearing, but I can't be sure from the pic. Can you say their dimensions? that funnel spacer looks interesting... do you even need to use that? just seems redundant with extra weight and since you are using the 19mm spacer, what is it's function?

can you post up any pics of them mounted? let us know the follow up after a few rides too!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The funnel is to seal the bearings off to stop corrosion, where as the tube spacer is for bearing load.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
The funnel is to seal the bearings off to stop corrosion, where as the tube spacer is for bearing load.
yeah, I know, I suggested the tube spacer to him for preload when he was pondering out this alternative method...

It just seems that the funnel spacer isn't really needed, but that is why I was asking. it may aid in preventing corrosion but on a street/dj bike??
they are sealed cartridge bearings, never seen a funnel spacer needed on a bmx bike, or for euro 3-pc crank bearings. Unless you regularly get water down your seattube or something...

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Very nice. Good to see that as an option for Euro BB's.

I will probably try this setup on a build I have planned with extra parts.

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
I havent mounted it yet... so well see. I might go without the funnel spacer but its pretty light either way. Im going to try this on my demo 7. Ill use a chain guide, ti profile spindle and profile cranks. Im going to take the steel tube spacer to a drill press and put some old skool holes in it to shed some weight.

The bearings arnt as large as I had wished given the cup size. They're 6804's which are size 20mmx32mmx7mm.

The regular mega exos are OD 37. So I might try and find a 20x37x7 bearing... or even one in ceramic just for some bling factor.

Ill post up when mounted and then with a ride report after some miles....

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
I havent mounted it yet... so well see. I might go without the funnel spacer but its pretty light either way. Im going to try this on my demo 7. Ill use a chain guide, ti profile spindle and profile cranks. Im going to take the steel tube spacer to a drill press and put some old skool holes in it to shed some weight.

The bearings arnt as large as I had wished given the cup size. They're 6804's which are size 20mmx32mmx7mm.

The regular mega exos are OD 37. So I might try and find a 20x37x7 bearing... or even one in ceramic just for some bling factor.

Ill post up when mounted and then with a ride report after some miles....

Nice, yeah, I've got mine on a Sinister SplinterMX... such nice kits on fs bikes to cure the ol' euro bb shell-to-3pc crank bearing blues, haha.
what size profile ti spindle did you go with? I went with 6".
I also have an aluminum tube spacer in mine, but the speed holes is a pretty good idea! just gotta make sure to get all those burrs out of the holes. man, those steel spacers are Heavy though!

yeah, you never said how far out the cups/spacers extend from the edge of the bb shell... I'm curious.

and ceramic bearings would be the sickness too! wow... (on a side note, I see that proper bmx has some proto ceramic bearings for their hubs that are self-lubricating and will supposedly have a lifetime warranty I believe! that's incredible)

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
I dont have my calipers handy, but looking at the cups compaired with the 7mm width of the bearings... Probably 8 or 9 mms, 10 at the most. As it is the bearing sits about 1mm inboard of the outer edge of the cups.

BocaBearing here in florida has a 20x32x7 ceramic bearing listed with a ton of options. If im stuck using these cups then Ill press in some better bearings and let it rock!

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
I think this may have been covered in the other thread. But do you need to do anything for the 20mm bearing hole to hold the 19mm spindle?

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
I think this may have been covered in the other thread. But do you need to do anything for the 20mm bearing hole to hold the 19mm spindle?

Nope, but I was worried about this when I looked up the bearing size before ordering the BB. Seems almost all of these outboard style BBs use a bearing cover and sleeve. It takes up the extra MM of difference, between the inner race and the spindle.

The BB-1000 is listed for use with 19mm spindles(all be it 2 peice cranks).

sokoloka

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego / London
This is such a neat development! I kinda want to try this out when I re-build my MOB.

Can I snake permission to post this up on StreetSteeze? Or, if you're so inclined - I think you have an account?

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Has anyone used ceramic or ceramic hybrid bearings on a FR/DH BB yet?

OP, please let us know how the set up goes!
Between riding and building other bikes, I havent had time to get my Demo 7 up yet. Ill end up pressing ceramic bearings in that set up and will give a write up when its installed, tried and tested....

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Ive sent out the BB with bearing covers to have some custom covers milled out of aluminum so I can run the ceramic bearing size I want while using the 19mm profile ti spindle. Should be tight. Its getting custom ano'd for me too.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Ive sent out the BB with bearing covers to have some custom covers milled out of aluminum so I can run the ceramic bearing size I want while using the 19mm profile ti spindle. Should be tight. Its getting custom ano'd for me too.

sickness. Please post pics!

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Just got em back. Im out to ride then drink after work so photos tomorrow. The parts are sick, well beyond my expectations. Ive got a ceramic BB on the way for them too.....

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Update:

I had some bearing caps/sleeves custom milled(the silver parts in the photos) so I can use a more standard bearing size and hence use ceramic bearings as well.

You can see the orignal way I was going to set it up along with the updated alloy version with larger bearing.

Should be pretty damn choice and easy to set bearing preload.

19mm black BB at the top with and without bearing caps and spacers....

Bearing cap/sleeve half installed....

Fitting from the outside. The milled caps include a dust cover.

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
when are you going to start production and how much:clapping:
Dunno if theres enough demand for this sort of thing. I know there are a few of us out there who could realize benifits, but not sure the cost would pan out to make it a reality.

Right now Ill just say they are prototypes.... Im going to use the Xtype raceface DH cups because they thread further in the BB. I also ordered the enduro external bearing press tools so I can swap the bearings out for the ceramics. Ill post photos up with the actual set up which would be:

6" ti profile spindle
Prototype spacers polished
RacefaceBB cups
Enduro Ceramic bearings
Alloy tube spacer

And installed on bike will use profile race arms with ti crank bolts.

I have a gram scale so Ill also weight the entire set up before install.

BJ-

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Australia
Dunno if theres enough demand for this sort of thing. I know there are a few of us out there who could realize benifits, but not sure the cost would pan out to make it a reality.

Right now Ill just say they are prototypes.... Im going to use the Xtype raceface DH cups because they thread further in the BB. I also ordered the enduro external bearing press tools so I can swap the bearings out for the ceramics. Ill post photos up with the actual set up which would be:

6" ti profile spindle
Prototype spacers polished
RacefaceBB cups
Enduro Ceramic bearings
Alloy tube spacer

And installed on bike will use profile race arms with ti crank bolts.

I have a gram scale so Ill also weight the entire set up before install.
Sounds good mate...

What bike is this going on?

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Sounds good mate...

What bike is this going on?
A few after I get some rides on it. For now a demo7.

I still dont like outboard bearings on street or park bikes because the races get smaked all the time. I broke the non drive side cup/race on my P3 so went back to inboard bearings.

My FG and a Molly im setting up dont have the english BBs so they are already in good shape.

Its probably going to work best on DH or XC bikes.... but most XC guys dont use steel cranks... so, back to DH bikes.

james is all about the bike alchemy...good stuff dawg! too bad I don't have a frame I can use this hop up on ;)
Thanks, I wish I didnt have a need for it either actually.:poster_oops:

BJ-

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Australia
A few after I get some rides on it. For now a demo7.

I still dont like outboard bearings on street or park bikes because the races get smaked all the time. I broke the non drive side cup/race on my P3 so went back to inboard bearings.

My FG and a Molly im setting up dont have the english BBs so they are already in good shape.

Its probably going to work best on DH or XC bikes.... but most XC guys dont use steel cranks... so, back to DH bikes.
Alright sweet.

Since i saw your thread on this im thinking of trying it on my new DH bike. Might try it on my Slopestyle bike to, if i dont run it single speed...

Eurotrash

Monkey
Mar 2, 2002
I don't understand the need for the spacer, the bearings you can get from Enduro don't need the plastic spacer so I don't understand why you you need to make up aluminium one?

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
I don't understand the need for the spacer, the bearings you can get from Enduro don't need the plastic spacer so I don't understand why you you need to make up aluminium one?
There arnt any that run the OD of the mega exo cups and the ID of 19mm. There is one(the black one in my photos) called the BB1000 but the OD is only marginally larger than the OD of the bearings carried imboard on english BBs running 19mm spindles.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
very nice work Boxxer, I dig. Ceramic, mmmm.

I'd also completely agree with you on the fact that we shouldn't even be needing these, but since most mtb's these days are still using euro threaded, gotta get around it somehow (unlike USB/Tonic/NemPro/etc.), and your way is by far the best option I've seen so far aside from the Fly cups.

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Ill have photos of this up hopefully by the end of this week. Im finishing the molly and starting the trickstar too so well see how much actually gets done. Plus I gotta get some park riding in too. Im thinking this all wont get done now :)