Quantcast

Outboard bearings on older frame?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Can you mount a crank w/ outboard bearings on an older frame made for a conventional bb? My road bike crank died, and a guy in my office (hardcore tri guy) gave me a brand new FSA Gossamer crank and bb he pulled off his ride. Bolts right up or no? Adjusting chain line?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Chain line should be at least close to the same, and unless your frame is something especially odd/old/Italian it'll be threaded BSC with a 68mm width and work fine.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
If there is paint on the shell or the shell doesn't look finished. Have it faced and chased. Just for piece of mind.....

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Just pretty much screwed right in and bolted right up. Very little der adjustment...too easy, I am suspicious. Waiting for it to explode and fall in on itself, like a controlled demolition...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
You know that outboard bearing crank/bb sets (like the FSA MegaExo) were made for bikes that had traditional BBs, right? ;) It's one of the few cases of "hey, let's make something that works with current standards", as opposed to "we have this new product. Please redesign your bike to make it work..."