Quantcast

outlaw 29rs

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
That's a good sign. Now they just need to make bikes that have more aggressive geo and a little more travel.

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
just saw this on pink bike

29'er DH bike in the ACG room

Next stop was the one that I was most looking forward to: Trek's Advanced Concepts Group, better known as ACG. This is where ideas get massaged and theories are proven or ditched. Casually lounging in the ACG room was this bike that will surely stir the pot. Hold onto your "29'ers suck" comments, I was told that this DH big wheeler isn't slated for production anytime soon. If not production, why bother? Dylan Howes, the evil genius with the mechanical engineering know-how, explained that many avenues must be explored when thinking about what could work in the future. Obviously, all sorts of things would have to be sorted out, including the development of proper tires, but who knows what the future holds. On top of building this bike just to see if certain theories work, it also serves as a rolling test bed for other ideas are that hidden behind locked doors, concepts that we may not know about for three or four years. Despite the wagon wheels and different suspension layout, this one-off shares a few similar lines to its production brother, the Session. Look close and you'll be able to see the pinch bolts at the front of the head tube, no doubt to let the engineers adjust the geometry for evaluation purposes.

SDH Racing

Monkey
Apr 5, 2006
NE
That's a good sign. Now they just need to make bikes that have more aggressive geo and a little more travel.
X2 on the Geo.

I've ridden a few different 29rs and noticed considerably slower steering and responce compared to a 26 across the board. I'm sure once they get the geo figured out it will plain out more but personally I dont ever see 29's "replacing" 26's anytime soon or ever for that matter. Though I'm sure in the next few years they'll become more widely accepted, as for now if given the choice I'd stay with a high end 26in/36 spoke setup for FR or DH.