Quantcast

Outlaw Bearings

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Did search, still unclear.

My Azonic outlaw rear hub is "notchy" after a season of use. Rolls fine, but when spinning the axle, you can feel and see it. I assume it needs new bears, but are they serviceable instead? Would be great to shoot grease in there and be done with it.

Is this a common problem, and can I expect to do it again?

Does anybody have the bearing numbers off hand, without having to take it apart first?

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
PM Voodoohoo, I know he has done it before and knows the series. I believe that are fairly common bearings and can be had easily off the McMaster Carr site.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Sandwich - if you get some solid info, please post up again just so others can reference this in the future. I am currently running these too but have not had any problems..........yet. Hopefully this won't be a recurring or widespread issue. Good luck getting it sorted out.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
You usually can remove all the bearings take the seals off clean and repack. I have the bearing no.s written down somewhere, but usually it can be repaired with some time and new grease.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
yeah, I'd like to know too, just in case.

it would be rad to have a database somewhere with common bearing sizes for parts with replaceable bearings. hmmmm... Maybe something I can do with my new found government furlough day once a month...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
All you have to do is read the # off the bearing seal once you get the thing halfway apart, usually isn't a hard procedure with a sealed bearing hub (although I haven't personally had an Outlaw hub apart).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sounds cool. I'll definitely post back with whatever I find. I'd like to know what the bearing specs are so I can order them before I take the thing apart, then I can reassemble immediatamente. I don't have cone wrenches, so I have to wait for a buddy to visit, feed him beer, disassemble hub, call mcmasshole, wait two weeks, have said buddy over again, more beer, reassemble, give it a shot.

So far I've been very pleased with these, except for the stupid 20mm converters that fall out of the front hub, and these notchy bearings in the rear. Rims are great, no tacos, and good engagement otherwise...but if bearing that poop the bed repeatedly are in order, I'm looking elsewhere.

brooklyndon

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
ther is #s on the side of the bearing QBP has them from endro they are like $6.00 a set, real easy to do.
DR.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I just had my outlaws apart. The bearings are standard. I took one down to a bearing shop and got 10... that was the minumum. I didnt need new bearings I just had the bike apart and decided I needed something to do. Im not at home or I would give you the numbers.

yopaulie

Monkey
Jun 4, 2009
NH
I have the older 36 spoke versions. The front hub has a sleeve in between the two bearings, on the outside of the sleeve(still in the hub) there are a couple of 0-rings that help keep the sleeve centered. You can use a drive from opposite side of the bearing and push (angled) on the sleeve. This will expose the inner race so you can now drive the bearing out.
Did that make sense?

ChriisM

Chimp
Oct 20, 2010
Ireland
ye that makes sense,thank you
i should have mention i was refering to the rear hub,? any ideas on that one? cheers.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I was lazy this season and just popped the seals off and packed them with Phil Wood waterproof grease - seemed to help but still not as smooth as day 1. I'll probably put a better quality bearing (ie Enduro) this winter.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
ye that makes sense,thank you
i should have mention i was refering to the rear hub,? any ideas on that one? cheers.
no puller needed.Chris I'm doing mine tonight so I can post up when their done. my memory says the rear is just like the front. after everything is removed just tap from the inside out. seriously outlaws are the easiest to replace bearings ever.

ChriisM

Chimp
Oct 20, 2010
Ireland
i can see what your saying about tapping from the inside out, but theres nothing to tap against , its so flush everything just slides of it.
you get what i mean?

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
i can see what your saying about tapping from the inside out, but theres nothing to tap against , its so flush everything just slides of it.
you get what i mean?
there is a sleeve that needs to be pushed to the side. that will expose the bearings. I use a small diameter pipe to knock em out.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I am assuming you unscrewed the non drive side and slid out the inner sleeve which is attached to the cassette. just don't misplace the red o-ring type seals
Voodoo, thanks for the pics. For the life of me, I can't find any red o ring seals, are they around the drive side by the cassette?

ChriisM

Chimp
Oct 20, 2010
Ireland
Voodoo, thanks for the pics. For the life of me, I can't find any red o ring seals, are they around the drive side by the cassette?
im with you on that one. cant find them at all. only think i found close to an o-ring is the black dust stoper for the freehub.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
im with you on that one. cant find them at all. only think i found close to an o-ring is the black dust stoper for the freehub.
Thanks what I'm thinking! Maybe they switched to that? I have a set of 09's which I've taken apart and an unused set of '10's. Never saw a red O ring.

nybike1971

Chimp
Nov 16, 2006
Niskayuna, NY
Right im not going to lie, i absolutly lost atm. i cant see how you get the bearings out.
After you get the freehub out of the way, put your finger inside the hub, in between the two bearings. Push down, you'll feel the sleeve VooDoo is talking about move. Once the sleeve is down you'll have access to the bearing races and you can push them out with a screwdriver or something like that.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
After you get the freehub out of the way, put your finger inside the hub, in between the two bearings. Push down, you'll feel the sleeve VooDoo is talking about move. Once the sleeve is down you'll have access to the bearing races and you can push them out with a screwdriver or something like that.
What Luca said,You may have to use more force if it's been a while